Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What cd player/speakers??

can i get any 6.5 inch?
    like: http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCKFORD-FOSGATE...3A1%7C294%3A50
    and a 4 inch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ROCKF...fAudioQ5fVideo

now the 6.5s are a 3way and the 4s are a 2 way... do head units account for both if i used these two in a set up? i know nothing about stereos

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Actually most of the new CD players shall fit without any issues,but all comes down to make sure they are ok to going in the deck with no struggles.

Since you going to replace them think about a 3-way speakers all around
    hahah kind of answered my question already... stupid refresh!

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    QUOTE=Gussie2000;142003]If you can be up close on the dash you can notice that the dash cover is retained by screws.

1rst of all you must start removing the cigar ashtray in the middle console,there's also small screw,at the odometer safe glass,there's two or more screws,the under dash right below the steering wheel have screws,the dimer at the low left side next to the hood latch have two screws,but i don't think you have to remove the under dash,just giving the locations of all the screws.

After you locate & remove all the necesary screws you should be able to pull towards you the dash cover,be gentle & us a flat small screw driver to pop out the dash,if you fell that the whole dash's not moving free stop & search for any missing screws,,also there's a piece of the center console that can be removed indenpendetly,it looks like a U surrounding the CD changer,that piece of cover doesn't have any screws,jusy use a small flat screw driver to pop it out.

Ok,so in order to remove the dash cover you must unplug the three active button which is the cruise control,the hazard light & the rear window defroster,special attention on the red alarm LED,before you pull the whole dash out get that LED button out,& squeez it thru the same hole to get the dash,you'll need to do the operation backward all the way to putback the dash board again in place.

Another tip is that the hazard light,the cruise control & the defroster button all have plug-in harness so you will need to unplug them by looking behind the cover & pull them out.Make sure you can ID which one is the right when you're about ot plug them back,don't mix them neither.
    Once you successfully have the dash board out you should be able to see how the tape deck & the CD changer are holding in the dash,again,there's no sleeves,only screws & brackets holds the two units in place,whenever you have the new unit you must use the same screws & brackets to hold the new CD player,special attention,don't mix the brackets & screws,put them aside so you can Id which brackets are each one;i'll suggest you that before you purchase any CD player take the brackets & match the holes the CD's players comes with on each side on the case to see if the fit perfectly or will nedd some sort of custom trick to hold them in place onces you're ready to put in the new CD player.

I don't know what you're thinking about the lower deck,but i got a digital EQ in there,looks phenomenal all those lights gigling on the dash.

The digital EQ's are descontinued because all new CD players come with buildt-in EQ,but it could never match a real digital EQ.check the mods forum to see if any mod you may like[/QUOTE]

very well put...ill try to find a photo real quick that i can put some arrows so you know where everything is...

any radio will fit the brackets for the VX so that doesnt matter...

as far as wattage every aftermarket radio runs within 2-3 RMS of each other so no matter what they say on the face, it isnt gonna matter...

every radio uses the same exact sound card except for alpine and eclipse....they are going to have a superior sound card...

so, basically your looking at the other features of the radio...heres what the options are-
    -bluetooth
    -HD radio
    -ipod input
    -aux input

nowadays you can buy radio's with bluetooth built into them which i highly suggest because one day you are going to want to add it anyhow and its also a great commodity....it will also keep you from going into another car or a ditch due to looking at your phone...

speakers-

you kinda pay for what you get when it comes to speakers...
    if you wanna post up your top choices for speakers ill let you know which ones are gonna last the longest and sound the best IMHO...(i work at best buy installing car audio/video)

the fronts are 6 1/2 but i thought the rears were 5 1/4???
    i havent done a system on my VX yet, but i have taken apart the doors probably 10 times each....

"Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    very well put...ill try to find a photo real quick that i can put some arrows so you know where everything is...

any radio will fit the brackets for the VX so that doesnt matter...

as far as wattage every aftermarket radio runs within 2-3 RMS of each other so no matter what they say on the face, it isnt gonna matter...

every radio uses the same exact sound card except for alpine and eclipse....they are going to have a superior sound card...

so, basically your looking at the other features of the radio...heres what the options are-
    -bluetooth
    -HD radio
    -ipod input
    -aux input

nowadays you can buy radio's with bluetooth built into them which i highly suggest because one day you are going to want to add it anyhow and its also a great commodity....it will also keep you from going into another car or a ditch due to looking at your phone...

speakers-

you kinda pay for what you get when it comes to speakers...
    if you wanna post up your top choices for speakers ill let you know which ones are gonna last the longest and sound the best IMHO...(i work at best buy installing car audio/video)

the fronts are 6 1/2 but i thought the rears were 5 1/4???
    i havent done a system on my VX yet, but i have taken apart the doors probably 10 times each....
    well if i can find speakers for under 150 for all four... that would be nice... ebay normally has them for over 50% off... so any set for 1 to 120 i bet ebay will have for around 60 bucks... any suggestions then? and for the head unit just a cd player and mayby an ipod jack.. i dont even own an ipod yet so its not vital as long as it is capable of powering my speakers

'01 Ebony Black VX, 0801; '01 Kaiser Silver VX, 1002

Crutchfield is a good bet...

I've been buying car stereo gear from Crutchfield for years, and you can't beat the support. If you buy the head unit and speakers from them, they include all the brackets, stock wiring harness connectors, and instructions for installation specific to your vehicle (even the VX!). Also, for about $20, they have a single DIN storage compartment to replace the stock CD changer. I've got four 6 1/2" Infinity shallow mount speakers and a Pioneer I-Pod controlling head unit, and the installation was pretty easy. I also use amps and subs, but a good head unit will drive those speakers well by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by 4X4 UFO View Post
    I've been buying car stereo gear from Crutchfield for years, and you can't beat the support. If you buy the head unit and speakers from them, they include all the brackets, stock wiring harness connectors, and instructions for installation specific to your vehicle (even the VX!). Also, for about $20, they have a single DIN storage compartment to replace the stock CD changer. I've got four 6 1/2" Infinity shallow mount speakers and a Pioneer I-Pod controlling head unit, and the installation was pretty easy. I also use amps and subs, but a good head unit will drive those speakers well by itself.
    roughly what would you say it cost for your set up minus the amp/sub? would you be able to send me the part numbers on your set up to check it out?

Quote Originally Posted by killinformula View Post
    well if i can find speakers for under 150 for all four... that would be nice... ebay normally has them for over 50% off... so any set for 1 to 120 i bet ebay will have for around 60 bucks... any suggestions then? and for the head unit just a cd player and mayby an ipod jack.. i dont even own an ipod yet so its not vital as long as it is capable of powering my speakers
    if you want a more expensive deck i would suggest alpine which you can get at best buy or car toys(if you have them where you live)...(eclipse is hard to find)

if not, then pioneer..

then kenwood...

and the rest are pretty much the same....

for speakers there are tons of options...the following are good...
    focal
    infinity
    polk audio
    MB quart

of course there are other good speakers but these are the ones im familiar with and have personally used and can vouch for....

i have polk audio in my integra and will be putting infinity in my VX....

hope that helps...let me know if you have any other audio questions or any wiring questions all together....(ive done just about everything possible to my VX electronically)...

for the spot where the 6disk changer is....there are a few options----
    CB radio
    single din pocket (thats just empty pocket)
    switchboard for accessories
    backup camera screen

thats what i can think of that other people have done...

wow thats a lot of convo.. it hurts my head to read gussies posts sometimes (sorry dude.. i know you have some good insights.. just tough to read)..

I too am a rockford fosgate guy.. ive done like 3 sound systems in my VX so far.. and looking for a 4th so heres my input..

you need a subwoofer.. no way around it.. the vx speaker set up is not good for bass.. gotta add something in somewhere

front doors are 5-3/4 i believe.. i fit small 6-1/2s in there (they were more like 6) with no issues.. then i upgraded to 6-1/2" components with good sized midrange for the door.. i had to do some cutting of the brackets in the doors.. wasnt too bad.. components definitely made a difference in the sound quality but were kind of a pain to do (tweeters were hardest)

rears are 4".. they suck to get to.. dont go halfway on the rears.. when you do them.. go all out, replace the wires etc, you won't want to go back in there once its sealed up again. i think i lost my wheel lock key back near those speakers.. im just paying the $20 to get a new one.... now stock is 4" i cut the mounts and fit shallow mount 6-1/2" speakers back there.. that helped some.. but now i have a 5.1 processor so the rears dont really do much anyway

the best sound quality mod i did was installing an amplifier to all of the speakers, you need a head unit that will support this to do it (ie RCA outputs for each speaker) but now i can blow most people out of the water with no distortion at all. I have each speaker amplified to 50w RMS at 4 ohms

im sure pbkid will confirm this... at least 50% of your sound quality comes from a quality installation. make sure your speakers are mounted solidly, make sure your wires are separated to reduce interference, get high quality signal wires, pay attention to the manufacturers specifications!!!

brands ive used...
    rockford fosgate - good speakers, good price.. 8" rockford subs in custom box.. are LOUD especially for 8s.. also using a rockford fosgate head unit.. sound quality is amazing.. love the way it looks, very easy to use.. but hard to find.. they stopped making them years ago
    Infinity - my amp powering everything is infinity.. sounds really nice.. a little big.. but very very good
    Boss Audio - used their amps at first.. great price.. great size.. sound was OK but kind of "dirty" definitely some interference added by the amp.. volume was great though
    Boston Acoustics - used their components in the front.. very nice sounding speakers, the crossovers they came with i didnt like that much, a little tough to work with and i feel like they didnt do a good job, so i got a set of alpine crossovers to replace them.. big thumbs up

there is also a center channel speaker thats available in DIN size from Alpine that i hear is a great addition for an empty din slot

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    wow thats a lot of convo.. it hurts my head to read gussies posts sometimes (sorry dude.. i know you have some good insights.. just tough to read)..

I too am a rockford fosgate guy.. ive done like 3 sound systems in my VX so far.. and looking for a 4th so heres my input..

you need a subwoofer.. no way around it.. the vx speaker set up is not good for bass.. gotta add something in somewhere

front doors are 5-3/4 i believe.. i fit small 6-1/2s in there (they were more like 6) with no issues.. then i upgraded to 6-1/2" components with good sized midrange for the door.. i had to do some cutting of the brackets in the doors.. wasnt too bad.. components definitely made a difference in the sound quality but were kind of a pain to do (tweeters were hardest)

rears are 4".. they suck to get to.. dont go halfway on the rears.. when you do them.. go all out, replace the wires etc, you won't want to go back in there once its sealed up again. i think i lost my wheel lock key back near those speakers.. im just paying the $20 to get a new one.... now stock is 4" i cut the mounts and fit shallow mount 6-1/2" speakers back there.. that helped some.. but now i have a 5.1 processor so the rears dont really do much anyway

the best sound quality mod i did was installing an amplifier to all of the speakers, you need a head unit that will support this to do it (ie RCA outputs for each speaker) but now i can blow most people out of the water with no distortion at all. I have each speaker amplified to 50w RMS at 4 ohms

im sure pbkid will confirm this... at least 50% of your sound quality comes from a quality installation. make sure your speakers are mounted solidly, make sure your wires are separated to reduce interference, get high quality signal wires, pay attention to the manufacturers specifications!!!
    definately very very true....crappy installation can lead to crappy sound and more problems even with the best parts....

if your looking to save some room by not getting a sub there are several people here who have build subs into the rear door....they just take the spare tire out and build a wood enclosure to fit there....

the VX actually has a lot of room to put amps under the front seat so dont be afraid to get in there...you will however have to bend that metal plate on the back of the seat or your seat wont go forward and back anymore...(sorry i know thats not what your looking for, i just get excited and want to add more and more when i think or talk about audio stuff)

'01 Ebony Black VX, 0801; '01 Kaiser Silver VX, 1002
    My head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P3900MP, but I believe it has been replaced by DEH-P4000UB. It costs $164. You may be able to use a less expensive unit if you don't need the USB connection or I-Pod controls. The speakers are Infinity 6022si. They are $89 a pair. The speakers are currently shown to be out of stock, but the Crutchfield rep will let you know when they expect to have them in stock. It's usually not too long. Go ahead and get the 6 1/2" speakers for both front and rear. It takes a little modifying for the rear speakers, but it's well worth it. There's a good write up about here somewhere. The search feature will find it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post
    I I got these put in as soon as I got my VX and I love 'em, they sound great. Always been partial to Rockford, built like tanks but premium sound.

All stock speakers changed to rockford/fosgate speakers with a 12"sub on a 400watt rockford amp.

Best bet for just about whatever you choose... go to a reputable local auto sound shop, and just ask for the ones that fit the VX... they pull out a book, or punch it up on their computer, and look it up and BINGO!...

For the head unit... right now I have a POS... but I want to get (myself for Christmas) one with the motorized 7" LCD... several pricy ones out there but I'll prolly have to go the cheapy route and get one at walmart... they sell two they look so much alike I think they are made by the same manufacturer.... ones Jenson and ones ummm... I think Dura... or something like that. I want to get a back-up camera too... one was on my VX, when I got it but it doesn't work, so I'm gonna get a new one when I get the head unit put in.

Good luck!!
    most of the flip out screens wont clear the dash above the radio so be careful when you buy it....

kenwood makes an IDmonitor that would work...http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...deo/KVT-719DVD

that one would work with the dash...just so you know...

Wink

Just an FYI:

If you are the one that bought an IronMan edition VX, They have Sony XPlode Speakers installed from factory as opposed to whatever speakers are in non-IronMan VX'es.

Gussie2000 brought up about the Sony XPlode stereo and I thought if you go that route you might not want to change out the stock "IronMan" Speakers.

Personally, I have an IronMan editon and I changed out my factory radio for a Pioneer AVIC-N4 w/Navigation & XM Satellite Radio (It'll except either Sirius or XM or both) that plays all the types of media you listed & I removed my stock CD player & installed (in dash) a Cobra CB radio.

Of course I didn't see your other post:

Quote Originally Posted by killinformula View Post
    i would buy new speakers.... i have 2 blown stock ones in my car they rattle under any base... so i am going to replace them. and then pump it all with a new head unit, what are the names of a few headunits that are straight up bolt ins with stock brackets?
    so you might as well get new speakers! :-)
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 12/17/2008 at 10:57 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    Just an FYI:

If you are the one that bought an IronMan edition VX, They have Sony XPlode Speakers installed from factory as opposed to whatever speakers are in non-IronMan VX'es.

Gussie2000 brought up about the Sony XPlode stereo and I thought if you go that route you might not want to change out the stock "IronMan" Speakers.

Personally, I have an IronMan editon and I changed out my factory radio for a Pioneer AVIC-N4 w/Navigation & XM Satellite Radio (It'll except either Sirius or XM or both) that plays all the types of media you listed & I removed my stock CD player & installed (in dash) a Cobra CB radio.
    are you sure about that??? ive never heard that before....

the stock speakers in the VX are clarion in my VX.....clarion through isuzu...

alright i gotta hit the sack, leaving for snowboarding at 5...
    ill check back tomorrow if you have anymore questions ill try to help

right about the flip out screen.. the one i bought didnt clear the top of the dash well enough, so i flipped it so its mounted upside down.. works well.. i re-covered the face so you can even tell its upside down unless you look at the logo when its open.. now it flips down over the AC vents

i think it was only the 2000 ironmans that had the xplode speakers iirc.. possibly not even all of them... ive only heard rumors, never seen photos of them.. there was apparently a sony xplode logo over the vehicross pillar badges on these models.. never seen one of those either

but yea all the other vxs had clarion speakers

Wink

I was going from memory from this so I could be wrong..but I did a search and found this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...+XPLODE&page=2

Zorak posted this:

-It was just the speakers and only on the 2000 models, according to the below which is from johnnyapollo's site, www.wildtoys.com/vehicross (which is a great source of VX info)

Ironman Edition:
    Victory White Paint
    Hood Insert Decal
    Side Pillar Decals
    Rear Hatch Decal
    Factory Yakima Roof racks
    Embossed Ironman Seats
    Embroidered Ironman Floor Mats
    Sony Xplod speakers with a Sony Xplod decal above the Ironman decal on the sides only on 2000 models