Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What cd player/speakers??

What cd player/speakers??

I want to replace the stock cdplayer and take out the tape player, sooo
    1) i need a head unit that can play cds/mp3s and possibly a ipod connection.. nothing fancy just decent looking
    2) i need to know where to get the part to replace the hole where the cd/tape player wil be.... which spot would the new player go in?
    3) i need to know the size of speakers in the car and how many. and are there any special requirements as to the speakers, or can i get any kind of speaker as long as the size is right?
    4) how hard are the speakers to get to? i am really mechanically inclined so like jumping into doors doesnt phase me.

please let me know asap, my family wants to get me something for my car for xmas!!!

I I got these put in as soon as I got my VX and I love 'em, they sound great. Always been partial to Rockford, built like tanks but premium sound.

All stock speakers changed to rockford/fosgate speakers with a 12"sub on a 400watt rockford amp.

Best bet for just about whatever you choose... go to a reputable local auto sound shop, and just ask for the ones that fit the VX... they pull out a book, or punch it up on their computer, and look it up and BINGO!...

For the head unit... right now I have a POS... but I want to get (myself for Christmas) one with the motorized 7" LCD... several pricy ones out there but I'll prolly have to go the cheapy route and get one at walmart... they sell two they look so much alike I think they are made by the same manufacturer.... ones Jenson and ones ummm... I think Dura... or something like that. I want to get a back-up camera too... one was on my VX, when I got it but it doesn't work, so I'm gonna get a new one when I get the head unit put in.

Good luck!!
    We sit together, my VX and I, until only the VX remains.
    --Iamironman

Quote Originally Posted by killinformula View Post
    I want to replace the stock cdplayer and take out the tape player, sooo
    1) i need a head unit that can play cds/mp3s and possibly a ipod connection.. nothing fancy just decent looking
    2) i need to know where to get the part to replace the hole where the cd/tape player wil be.... which spot would the new player go in?
    3) i need to know the size of speakers in the car and how many. and are there any special requirements as to the speakers, or can i get any kind of speaker as long as the size is right?
    4) how hard are the speakers to get to? i am really mechanically inclined so like jumping into doors doesnt phase me.

please let me know asap, my family wants to get me something for my car for xmas!!!
    If you don't want nothing fancy a CD sony Xplode could be just fine for you,
    Now,here is something about the speaker the ones located at the doors are 6.5" diameter,the rear speakers are 4",removing the door panels are quit easy as how much pacient you can deal with;The door panel are placed with plug'in clips,but you thinking of doing-you-self just be carefull of the panels,specially the black carbon fiber looking pieces,they can easy brake apart if you don't treat them good,a tool to remove the panel can be purchase at radio shack.
    The hard part is the rear panels,it takes time to remove the bunch of clips the rear panels comes with on each side.here's pics about how it looks after they have being removed,the rear speakers are mounted on a piece of sheet metal right over the wheel well.

To remove both the tape deck & tthe CD changer you must remove the cluster cover,then unplug the hazard lights,the cruise control & the defroster wires to have the dash cover out completly.
    The tape & the CD changer are mounted with screws & brackets,not with sleeves,you must keep those screws & brackets to use them again,even though the new cd player comes with they own set of screws & sleeves you got to use the ones that comes in the dash board,Sorry you are far other wise i'll be glad to help you in person
    Dakar was just the begining.

I did put a wireless rear view camera on my VX,i'll try to post some picks as soon as i can.

What i did concerning the audio system was a all kenwood tape deck with remote control at the top,digital EQ ( 10 bands ) four (4ways) 6,5" 350 watts each speakers,two 12" sub woofers (300 watts each),650 watts capacitator guys that s.... rocks down the streets

are there any pictures of the dash set up i would be able to look at to get an idea of what i should shoot for? i appreciate all the information!

about how long would you say it takes to tear down the dash to get the tape deck and cd player out?

are there any pictures of the dash set up i would be able to look at to get an idea of what i should shoot for? i appreciate all the information!

about how long would you say it takes to tear down the dash to get the tape deck and cd player out?
    If you can be up close on the dash you can notice that the dash cover is retained by screws.

1rst of all you must start removing the cigar ashtray in the middle console,there's also small screw,at the odometer safe glass,there's two or more screws,the under dash right below the steering wheel have screws,the dimer at the low left side next to the hood latch have two screws,but i don't think you have to remove the under dash,just giving the locations of all the screws.

After you locate & remove all the necesary screws you should be able to pull towards you the dash cover,be gentle & us a flat small screw driver to pop out the dash,if you fell that the whole dash's not moving free stop & search for any missing screws,,also there's a piece of the center console that can be removed indenpendetly,it looks like a U surrounding the CD changer,that piece of cover doesn't have any screws,jusy use a small flat screw driver to pop it out.

Ok,so in order to remove the dash cover you must unplug the three active button which is the cruise control,the hazard light & the rear window defroster,special attention on the red alarm LED,before you pull the whole dash out get that LED button out,& squeez it thru the same hole to get the dash,you'll need to do the operation backward all the way to putback the dash board again in place.

Another tip is that the hazard light,the cruise control & the defroster button all have plug-in harness so you will need to unplug them by looking behind the cover & pull them out.Make sure you can ID which one is the right when you're about ot plug them back,don't mix them neither.
    Once you successfully have the dash board out you should be able to see how the tape deck & the CD changer are holding in the dash,again,there's no sleeves,only screws & brackets holds the two units in place,whenever you have the new unit you must use the same screws & brackets to hold the new CD player,special attention,don't mix the brackets & screws,put them aside so you can Id which brackets are each one;i'll suggest you that before you purchase any CD player take the brackets & match the holes the CD's players comes with on each side on the case to see if the fit perfectly or will nedd some sort of custom trick to hold them in place onces you're ready to put in the new CD player.

I don't know what you're thinking about the lower deck,but i got a digital EQ in there,looks phenomenal all those lights gigling on the dash.

The digital EQ's are descontinued because all new CD players come with buildt-in EQ,but it could never match a real digital EQ.check the mods forum to see if any mod you may like
    Last edited by Gussie2000 : 12/17/2008 at 09:05 PM

did you want to run the speaks off the head unit or run a seperate amp?

i would probably just run them off the head unit... well can i get good sound from that.... i really am not looking for an amp... i dont feel like investin gthat much $ i just want a decent sound that will give decent treble and base...

Time depends on how well you handle the situation,it took me like 45 minutes to make sure that i did all that i had to do without rushing,at time i just get out the car & dink some soda,chat with the neighbor,etc,you got to be analitical handling this kind of stuff.If you speed up you can regret it,i don't know how the weather's moving around by you,but i'll likely do that on a sunny nice looking day,no chances of rain rushing you down & all tolls in hand.

gussie2000 thank you for the information!!! is there a car manual for the car that is like the gm books that explain everything about the car?

braden

i would probably just run them off the head unit... well can i get good sound from that.... i really am not looking for an amp... i dont feel like investin gthat much $ i just want a decent sound that will give decent treble and base...
    Keep in mind that the stock speakers output is 120 watts each.so you must go no furter that 100 watts on the head unit & amps if you go that far to be in the "safe zone" the last thing you want is blown rear speaker,man to get there & have that speaker replace is annoying

gussie2000 thank you for the information!!! is there a car manual for the car that is like the gm books that explain everything about the car?

braden
    Yes,even got many options.You can call merlin at saint charles isuzu at 6364414481.Ask for merlin & tell him about you as a new VX member,also PM moncha to address you where is the .ZIP file located here in the board.Ebay.com is another option.

Crutchfield.com is one of the best online audio shops,check them & call them for info about the VX audio system.

beside that many of us will drop a quote for you to ease the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Keep in mind that the stock speakers output is 120 watts each.so you must go no furter that 100 watts on the head unit & amps if you go that far to be in the "safe zone" the last thing you want is blown rear speaker,man to get there & have that speaker replace is annoying
    i would buy new speakers.... i have 2 blown stock ones in my car they rattle under any base... so i am going to replace them. and then pump it all with a new head unit, what are the names of a few headunits that are straight up bolt ins with stock brackets?

i will give that crutchfield company a call tommorrow as well.

i would buy new speakers.... i have 2 blown stock ones in my car they rattle under any base... so i am going to replace them. and then pump it all with a new head unit, what are the names of a few headunits that are straight up bolt ins with stock brackets?
    Actually most of the new CD players shall fit without any issues,but all comes down to make sure they are ok to going in the deck with no struggles.

Since you going to replace them think about a 3-way speakers all around