Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
....and I would say both you and Wormgod are in that ballpark. And the width of your respected tires is 265(10.5"), and 285(11.25") and add to that Wormgod's rims are a full .5" larger than yours and you can see the difference between you two in the pictures, now imagine a 12.5" tire on top of that, in fact a full 1.25"(.75" on each side) more hanging off the rim than Wormgod's tires and a full 2"(1" on each side) more than your tires and you can see why a 12.5" wide tire on a 8.5" rim with 0 offset would look way different than what you guys are running, and in my opinion get into the "wow something is not quite right there" area. But yeah 0 offset on an 8-8.5" rim with a 11" tire looks just right (as far as offset goes). But when thinking of what offset you need for the look you are going for the width of the tire and rim are huge factors that should be decided on before deciding on offset/backspacing.
It's a matter of "getting it just the way you want it". It not only just a matter of just what will work, but, what will you "like". I ran on the stockers with 285/60s for about a year before my 8.5s. Visually, I hated it. If you are gonna have a lot of rubber in your wells, you may as well make it count. My original plan was to get some larger rims and tires and lift. I even got the rear springs. However, after the wheel and tire mount, I was sold without the lift. Hell, I have had that pair of springs in my garage for about 4-5 years now, heh.

As for going wider than 11" or so on an 8.5', that is a hell of a task. I tire mounted in a previous life and any tire more than 2" wider than a wheel is not only a b|tch to mount, but not very savory for daily road use. Visually, you are right. That is where you come to the "wow something is not quite right there".

Regardless of whatever route anyone takes, doing some research and asking questions is needed. We have had too many members here buy wheels and/or tires just come to find out they aren't gonna work or they don't look "quite right". This thread should end up getting cleaned up and getting stickied eventually.