Thread: Training hell has begun!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Training hell has begun! Photo's added!

After a short (4 weeks) break to let the little aches and pains heal and the brain recover mentaly the triathlon training started fresh over Thanksgiving week. After easing into the training, Friday Dec. 26 started our winter training camp. 9 days of fun in the sun...after all this is Tucson...the desert! My coach has a cruel sense of humor!

Day 1 Dec.26 '08
    Woke cold and rain...great, off to a great start. On the agenda for the day was running, cycling and swimming (oh boy!). The high temp for the day (49) came at about 8 a.m. and then began to plumet from there.
    After putting on plenty of warm clothing we started the day with a 1 hour run. Due to the rain we canceled our ride and instaed ventured to the pool for a quick 35 minute swim.

Day 2 Dec.27 '08
    Woke up to even colder temps...28 degrees (in Tucson!). Fortunately the rain had stopped...but, EVERYTHING was frozen. Packed on the layers of warm clothing and then it was off for another hour run. Next up after thawing and changing into layers of warm cycling gear we were off for a cold, cold, cold (did I say it was cold?) 2 hour 45 minute ride which included the climb up and over Gates Pass which is a climb that averages about 10-12 percent grade with a short 15 percent grade at the top.Freezing toes, fingers and face were the highlight of the day! After thawing we took a quick trip to the pool for a 45 minute swim workout. The pool water was the warmest part of the day!

Day 3 Dec.28 '08
    Another cold morning...27 degrees! But today we had the something to look forward to...temp warming to near 60 and sunny! Started the morning with a brisk 2 hour 50 minute run on the Phoneline trail in Sabino Canyon. This is a very tough trail but the scenery is incredible! The scenery makes the pain almost bearable. After a brief thawing/recovery time we again mounted our bikes and were off on a 1 hour 30 minute ride. This time it was the hills of Starr Pass that awaited us. I ride this area a lot but the hills seemed twice as big with tired legs.
    Good news is...its is suppose to be in the mid to upper 60's for the rest of the camp!

Stay tuned for the continuing saga!
    Only 6 more days to suffer....err i mean go!
    Last edited by Triathlete : 01/04/2009 at 04:38 PM
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)