Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Was the abs module ever corrected

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post

Also, johnnyapollo said he'd been told our unit is NOT rebuildable....

Any thoughts?
    Funny, I heard the same thing a while back from a couple of sources. Never gave it any thought.

As the great, late Tone mentioned in an earlier post, I too did hear, that if the ABS is at full light ON, the module is "most likely" not to blame, but possibly a speed sensor.

When FLASHING, the ABS module is failed as the circuit tripped and did not return from the module, meaning module failure.

Just what I heard.... I won't be held liable. .
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    VX Kat - Thanks for that link! I bought a "spare" failed ABS module from someone here on the Forum a year ago. Even though mine hasn't taken a dump yet, this is JUST the impetus I need to go ahead and send that spare off for a rebuild. $100 is cheap insurance to have on hand - like carrying an umbrella, I'll prolly never need it, LOL!
    Hey Ganzman- How'd this turn out? Obviously guess you can't say how it works, but how was the workmanship, were they timely, etc...?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Hey Ganzman- How'd this turn out? Obviously guess you can't say how it works, but how was the workmanship, were they timely, etc...?
    Haven't gotten a Round Tuit yet...

What types of Unit?

Looking into the eBay service, there is a lot of positive feedback, but as far as I can tell none for an Izusu. Google turns up a number of people that offer more or less the same service, although few lit Izusu, probably because there's not much market, so they either don't bother or don't know how.

Does anyone know what Bosch unit/series the Vehicross has? Is it the same unit as the Trooper? According to the rebuilders store, they look the same.

I also found that Isuzu had a recall for 98-99 Rodeo ABS systems and this comment and also concerning a Rodeo,

... the owners manual and they say to stop the car immediately. Shut it off, start it up again and for about quarter to half mile do not exceed 8 mph, go slow and the light will shut off. If the light comes back on, repeat the same. If it does not go off or it returns, have it serviced.
    One site says cars can be driven without the unit. That makes sense if it's not working anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    If the ABS light is NOT flashing, it is typically only a sensor or wiring to sensor issue and ABS WILL continue to operate correctly. IF the ABS light is flashing, it is the control module and ABS will NOT be working correctly. In TX, you can pass a safety inspection with the light lit as long as it is not flashing and/or the brake warning light on the dash is not on.

Also, if you have NOT been flushing your brake fluid regularly (at least every two years) it is probably dark or black and will over time destroy the module under the hood.
    Is this really true? My light is not flashing, just solid. Does this really mean that the ABS functionality is really working and I just have a sensor or wire problem?
    ---------

Ty

Quote Originally Posted by tysamigo View Post
    Is this really true? My light is not flashing, just solid. Does this really mean that the ABS functionality is really working and I just have a sensor or wire problem?
    My light is on solid (has been for several years) and I have NO ABS...just regular braking.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Same here, solid light for a long time, no abs what so ever

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    My light is on solid (has been for several years) and I have NO ABS...just regular braking.
    What Billy say...

If you can find some snow or loose gravel, try to lock em' up from about 30 mph.
    If the ABS is working, (doubtful) it'll let you know...

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    What Billy say...

If you can find some snow or loose gravel, try to lock em' up from about 30 mph.
    If the ABS is working, (doubtful) it'll let you know...
    I do this about once a month just to keep it all loose and working fine...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    I do this about once a month just to keep it all loose and working fine...
    Meat-ooooooo

Had the abs light come on for about half a day ONCE since 04...And that was on a day when it was WELL below zero temp.
    Later the same day, it went out...

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Meat-ooooooo

Had the abs light come on for about half a day ONCE since 04...And that was on a day when it was WELL below zero temp.
    Later the same day, it went out...
    I'm on my second module & the light has been going on/off for the last couple months during cold weather. I'm over it... if this module goes out, i'm pulling the plug

I like to drive my vx a "little aggressively" so I like the peace of mind that I have anti-locking brakes especially in slippery conditions. I would really really like to have a functioning ABS on my baby.

I would really like to get to the bottom of this and find out if my proton has a sensor/wire problem or abs problem. So basically I should replace all to make sure? Is there a step by step diagnostic procedure to figure out if its the module or not (aside from taking it to a dealer and getting reamed)?

By the way, I found an older thread where a guy claimed to be able to rebuild them to where the module was like or even better than new. I sent him an email and he replied back with his contact info. I haven't called him yet but am about too during my lunch break...

I said in the email:
    Hi, I read on our forum online (www.vehicross.info) that you claim you can rebuild an ABS module like or better than new. If this is the case, can you give me some details? I have a 2001 Isuzu VehiCross."

His reply was:
    david ruberg
    123 w. sarnia st
    winona, mn 55987
    507-429-4489

I'll call him to see what he has to say. But I also read on that same forum several people saying that the VX ABS Module cannot be rebuilt.

This is not true - the P/O also told me that it was the right front ABS speed sensor that was causing the issues (solid light ABS on all the time). I installed new speed sensor but there was no change in the dash light.

Then I found a a thread here that mentioned shorting certain pins on the OBDII port to actually visualize the ABS codes (which can't be read by the rental OBDII scanner at the local autoparts store). After following the directions on the thread the code that flashed on the dash (the ABS light flashes a certain number of times) indicated that the module was dead.

If you're ABS is solid on, you're module is the most likely cause.

If someone has a spare broken module lying around, I would love to dremel into the casing and see if there are some broken caps or resistors. It is known to begin functioning in very cold weather, only to stop once warm.

If the module can be rebuilt for 100, the issue should also be fixable by an amateur at home. If anyone has a spare, let me know.

I would really like to get to the bottom of this and find out if my proton has a sensor/wire problem or abs problem. So basically I should replace all to make sure? Is there a step by step diagnostic procedure to figure out if its the module or not (aside from taking it to a dealer and getting reamed)?

By the way, I found an older thread where a guy claimed to be able to rebuild them to where the module was like or even better than new. I sent him an email and he replied back with his contact info. I haven't called him yet but am about too during my lunch break...

I said in the email:
    Hi, I read on our forum online (www.vehicross.info) that you claim you can rebuild an ABS module like or better than new. If this is the case, can you give me some details? I have a 2001 Isuzu VehiCross."

His reply was:
    david ruberg
    123 w. sarnia st
    winona, mn 55987
    507-429-4489

I'll call him to see what he has to say. But I also read on that same forum several people saying that the VX ABS Module cannot be rebuilt.
    Is it this thread you're referring to?
    I asked this guy x3 and he said absolutely he can rebuild our unit for $99.
    I have a dead unit sitting in my garage that I was going to send in...but wouldn't have anything to test it on....and I don't want to remove mine which is "currently" still functioning.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...s+ebay+rebuild

I found the information. Please read through this thread - it presents a very easy and informative method of checking the code AT HOME, with NO TOOLS!

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...light=ABS+code

Please updates us on the code your's is throwing. I would be very interested.