Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If you decided to retire your VX....

I began pursuing the Toyota Tacoma option on eBay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...ht_5565wt_1254

also looked at the Mazda and Infiniti crossovers. There just isn't anything out there that I've seen that I like more or, for that matter, equally than my VX. But I did like this Tacoma. Too bad is on the opposite side of the country for me.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    All I know is there’s only one machine that has everything I like in a car, and it’s already in my driveway. Everything else seems like a downgrade to me. The Grand Cherokee SRT8 would be perfect if it handled better and it had two doors. I’ve driven the Volvo XC90 it feels like you’re driving a big family car it just doesn’t feel sporty at all and forget about taking it off road. The FJ is my kind of ugly, but the on road performers and the gun turret view out the windshield is a little hard to get past. The H3 isn’t bad but it still has the limited on road preferments and it looks too much like an H2 witch I can’t stand.
    Oh yes,those SRT8 looks very nice though,honestly i don't trust chrysler products at all, before i decided to have the VX i was up for the liberty renegade trail rated edition with the rooflights,after days of research i found that liberty has a lot of recalls & factory flaws,but i'll give it a try with the SRT8 probably in three years from now.
    Dakar was just the begining.

I hear ya! Vehicles like the Liberty and Nitro from Chrysler and the HHR from GM are designed to be inexpensive and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Oh yes,those SRT8 looks very nice though,honestly i don't trust chrysler products at all, before i decided to have the VX i was up for the liberty renegade trail rated edition with the rooflights,after days of research i found that liberty has a lot of recalls & factory flaws,but i'll give it a try with the SRT8 probably in three years from now.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    well, im not planning on getting rid of my VX any time soon....
    i have been looking at buying another car in about a year....

however, for me, i dont need 4x4 because im gonna have the VX so ive been looking at mazdaspeed3, mazdaspeed6, WRX STI, toyota supra, tacoma or F-250
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

my buddy has an 06 toyota tacoma Xrunner.. its more sport car than truck.. but wow it looks sexy and is QUICK! and of course i love the 6sp manual

I would trade mine in real quick for THIS...

Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Wink

In another thread, I pretty much stated I was checking out the H3 Championship Edition Alpha (V8). I'm not a 4-door kind of guy...but...as far as new goes this is my top pick. It has full-frame, lockers front and rear, 33" tires already on it and a V8 ready for mods! If they ever make the HX 2-door concept for production...that will most likely be my top pick!

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in either 2 or 4 door is my current-2nd pick....although an even weaker V6 than I have now doesn't bode well for me. 3rd- New Dodge Ram Hemi 4X4 1500 reg. cab.

I was checking out the Trailblazer SS but it doesn't light my fire. The Jeep SRT8's are very fast at the local track but no off-road abilitites. Grand Cherokee...been there done that! Mazda CX-7...interior is like a rental car w/ loads of cheap plastic.

You are right about the Tacoma's though...I've seen stock ones with the TRD offroad package (lockers) run the mud pit at a 4X4 Jamboree and perform extremely well against Jeeps & even modified vehicles. 2 yrs back to back Tacoma's took the stock division. Tons of aftermarket support and choice of manual or auto.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 01/11/2009 at 09:01 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

VX Replacements (hypothetical only!)

Ditto, don't plan on getting rid of my VX any time soon. It certainly has its quirks and isn't great on gas, but I waffle between liking sports cars and 4x4s depending on my mood and ADD levels, so the VX is what I need to keep me interested at all times.

Possible (hypothetical) replacements:

DeLorean (gun-blue it and install black lights in the dash)
    Chrysler Prowler (bad reviews, but I am still intrigued)
    FJ
    -Wekilled
    douglaswekell(at)gmail.com

hi all, haven't been on here in quite awhile, but this thread caught my eye since i am seriously considering parting with my vx and buying a class b rv/van. my vx now has 172k plus on it, but is running like new (mobile one since 54k) and literally all highway miles (i commute 110 mile a day!) besides a few chips and one ding, still looks like an under 50k truck! even so, i have no idea what she would be worth in the used car market. for the past year ive only driven her on long trips as i bough a pos honda to commute with when gas prices went through the roof. but now with four dogs, a girlfriend, a kayak, and two race cars to tow around (one at a time of course) Im really feeling the need for a camper van..though the thought of not having my vx is a painfull one...
    Maverick
    99' Ebony VX sold...

The day the VX retires, I will be driving this....

Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    Damn son, that has got to be the sickest Jeep I have ever seen. Some serious bucks in that bad boy!

I've thought a lot about this issue as well. I have been thinking of retiring my VX (not selling it, but actually retiring it) and basically doing a body restoration on it. I am starting the hunt for new replacement parts that I will need to make my VX look brand new, and eventually I would like to get the body all fixed (dents, scratches, etc), replace the headlights and hood insert, and possibly the windsheild. Get my tinting redone and clean up all the miscellaneous stuff that looks rough, and then keep her all clean and pretty going forward, driving her a lot less.

As for replacments, I will probably end up buying an old Trooper and modding the bajezus out of it and using that as a full time wheeler. I just can't justify buying another petrol based vehicle unless it is used and cheap. Otherwise, I will be waiting for the next big thing to happen....which could be a while.

Bart

v

Me myself i would go with the nissan.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    The day the VX retires, I will be driving this....

NICE, i love it!!!!

i've been looking into retiring my VX too...not selling but retiring...good way to put it bart.... although i would rather wait until i can afford to change everything on my VX to toyota.... then do some serious offroad mods....

Just got my VX, can't even think of what to drive "after" this! I love it. We've been very fortunate and have had many really great rides over the past years......a '95 Jeep Wrangler (uncivilized); Had a '97 Defender 90 for 5 years(awesome). '03 BLACK BMW X5 with the pavement burnin' 4.6 iS engine, AWD (only about 1000 per year) -Ultimate Awesome. ....nfpgasmask..I think of my Black Beauty every time I see your signature phrase! .

Hubby got '07 FJ Cruiser in bright screamin' yellow. After we moved to small town in Northern Arizona last year I traded Bimmer for '08 white 4Runner as black SUV with 12" wide ultra high performance tires on dirt road just wasn't workin'....but 4Runner (with Urban Runner special edition trim package) was "nice" but just too plain vanilla for me....I missed my Bimmer in a big way...biggest mistake I've made was trading that in. I love the SRT8 Cherokee but it really wasn't any different than the BMW in this rural setting.

Saw a Proton yellow in a supermarket parking lot in early Dec and it hit me! That was it! I have a hard time getting into higher vehicles & the VX was 2" lower than 4Runner & I can get in pretty easily. Found my VX in Virginia, had it transported to AZ. Got FJ lifted 3" last year and it's great. I just have to use a small stool to get in, no biggie. (My legs aren't normal).

We're hitting an off road trail on Thursday...He'll be in the FJ with little sister VX behind him. :bgwp: Want to check out the VX's off road credentials for the first time. Help me decide on the shocks issue too.

So now my VX passion is all consuming. I've just started to get the questions..."What is that?" and the thumbs up. I LOVE it.

If I lost it tomorrow, I think I'd.......just have to start looking for another one....since a Vanquish is just a wee bit out of my price range! Since I can't do much fixing and maintenance myself, I just have my fingers crossed I don't have too much trouble. This forum has been just unbelievably helpful in getting tips and guidance on how to keep my VX going for a very long time! Thanks to every one of you for your help!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.