Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If you decided to retire your VX....

If you decided to retire your VX....

What vehicle would you be interested in to replace your beloved your VX? I know someday we'll face this situation and I found myself pondering the options today. Looked at Honda, Toyota and Subaru offerings and didn't see anything that got me excited like my VX. So I thought I would ask the family what options you may entertain if ya strayed?? Must have AWD or 4WD and an off-roader.
    Scott

I plan on having my VX as my daily driver for many more years. I'll never willingly give up the VX experience, the life. If it were stolen or wrecked I would get the vehicle I traded to get my VX. A Dodge Ram 4X4 pick-up, regular cab, short bed.

There is no other street legal vehicle that can give me that king-of-the-road feeling like a Dodge Ram. To be behind the wheel of that truck was simply awesome. It was amazingly comfortable, so quiet, so powerful, so smooth riding, so gorgeous inside and out. My dad used to say it was like a Cadillac. The steering had such a fantastic feel to it. Just making a simple turn at a street corner was a pleasure. That was back in the day, circa '96. I can't even imagine how nice the new ones are now.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)
    Last edited by deermagnet : 12/31/2008 at 05:29 PM

Well my daughter turns 14 next month so she might slide into the drivers seat of the VX, and I would most likely go with a QuadCab Full Size Chevy or an Toyota FJ Crusier. By the next 2 years I should be able to get a good deal on a 07 FJ... But the smartest bet would be the Chevy, it will hold it's value longer...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Well the 09 Ram 1500 has a coil over suspension like the VX. (1st year for it) good choice, I'm leaning toward the H3 or the FJ. but not eagerly looking forward to a new payment. so the economy is gonna have to turn around..

on a side note, a 70 3/4 ton 4wd GMC wouldnt be bad

I love the 2 door sports utility vehicle and love the Isuzu Amigo, Rodeo Sport and VX. Unfortunately, I do not see anyone making a 2 door SUV.
    I might do a 180. I have always wanted a 1970 or 1971 Plymouth Baracuda
    426 Hemi, lime green convertible. I would have to hit the lottery for that car.

In staying with the issue of an off-road vehicle....the one option that appears of interest is a Toyota Tacoma 4X4. But so far that's the only one that hits my fancy yet pales relative to the fondness I have towards the VX

I've been toying around with the idea of selling the VX due to our new baby. (Pull in the reigns 99VC... not decided.. YET... LOL) Need a 4 door, but want 4x4 ability too. My philosophy is, if I'm going to get rid of the VX, the next vehicle better have more power. My wife has an 05 Grand Cherokee Laredo/4x4 V8. We both love it. So, I'm considering a Grand Cherokee Limited/Hemi. Thought about the FJ Cruiser, but the power just isn't enough of a difference from the VX, and it's not a "true" 4 door. My second thought is the Trail Blazer SS 4wd. It has the cool factor (all black), Corvette power, same if not better economy, and is easy to get parts for.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

To be honest the vehicules i'll give up my VX for is the grand cherokee SRT8 or tahoe Z71

In the luxury side the ACURA RDX,INFINITI FX35 & BMW X5.

I always loved the two doors SUV's if a find a tahoe or yukon 2 doors with decent mileage & pristine conds i'll make a deal.
    Dakar was just the begining.

If they still are making the murnano then I will likely get that or a Jeep Wrangler.

I havent seen any muranos beefed up though. There is a White oe in my complex that looks nice.

Does anyone feel dirty thinking about this?

NOTHING! I suppose if I really had to, it would be the Toyota FJ or an Infiniti FX35, or better yet, a Series III/IV Range Rover Defender. Wouldn't be as much fun though.
    Robert

id probably go for the Volvo XC90.. I dont know much about their offroad capabilities.. but WOW will they move and handle! a buddy of mine and i were in his subaru legacy (non turbo) down some back roads he had known all his life and we were having trouble keeping up with this thing through the turns!

Since I don't own a VX (yet!), I'll put a little different spin on this "query". I've owned a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport, and most recently a '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Had no problems with either one, but I'm ready for a change. Can't BRING myself to buy something new; just don't wanna plunk down that kinda cake, and I don't finance a vehicle anymore. If I can't afford it straight away, I don't buy it! I've got a nice VX "lined up", but there's a REALLY nice Rodeo Sport Hardtop closeby that's tempting me for almost half the $; prolly makes more "practical sense" for my needs too. If I was gonna go "upscale", it'd prolly be a used Acura MDX or possibly a newer RDX - the VX is a CLEAR winner in the "cool" category, though...

All I know is there’s only one machine that has everything I like in a car, and it’s already in my driveway. Everything else seems like a downgrade to me. The Grand Cherokee SRT8 would be perfect if it handled better and it had two doors. I’ve driven the Volvo XC90 it feels like you’re driving a big family car it just doesn’t feel sporty at all and forget about taking it off road. The FJ is my kind of ugly, but the on road performers and the gun turret view out the windshield is a little hard to get past. The H3 isn’t bad but it still has the limited on road preferments and it looks too much like an H2 witch I can’t stand.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Hmmm. Pretty Easy. A 1997 Land Rover DEFENDER-90, period. I used to own a 1997 Defender limited edition #127/300, but sold it in order to put a very substantial down payment on a house. The 1997 was the last model year they were imported into the U.S., because LR didn't want to upgrade the vehicle to the upcoming mandatory U.S. "Air Bag" requirement (1998 and newer).

I've owned a prestine '78 FJ-40 since 1980; and would never sell it, but the LR Defender-90 is every bit as tough with go anywhere capabilities. People who own VX's are huge fans of 2-door SUV's (me, too), and the Defender-90 falls perfectly within that catagory. The Defender-90 is not as "swift & agile" as the VX, but is a very impressive 2-door "go anywhere" SUV.

The only two(2) things I didn't like about the Defender-90 was the left shoulder/elbow room was very cramped and made driving the truck somewhat confining. The other bad thing is that it drinks gas like kool-aid. When the speedometer needle goes to the right; the gas gauge needle goes to the left, at the same time. Very thirsty.

I almost purchased a Defender 90. Very good machines and boy are they indestructible.