Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Spacers

Question Wheel Spacers

I just got new tires (285/60/18 terra grapplers) but kept on the stock rims. I want a wider stance, without paying a lot of $$$ for another set of rims/tires. I've heard about wheel spacers, but dont know that much about them. Has anyone used them on their vx? how much did they cost? where did you get them, and what size did you use? it seems like 1-1.5 inches would be suitable for me, but mabye im wrong, i dont know. Thanks in advance!
    MODIFICATIONS:
    285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Steel braided brake calbes, K&N Air Filter, Window Tinting, Debadged, 3 inch lift, Custom boulder bars, Yakima Roof Rack w/ Iron Hoarse Cage, Pioneer DEH-P6000UB deck, and more to come (once the funds do).

i dont know much about wheel spacers.. but they just dont seem like a great idea to me.. putting the weight of the vehicle farther out on the wheel studs just seems like its asking to bend them or shear them off..

Hi Dtruax !

THe spacers you're looking can be purchased at ebay.com..amazon.com & probably at autozone.pepboys or autoparts shop.

My 1rst choice would be ebay.com there's a wide stock of spacers for reasonable prices.

Did you had to trim the front cladding ?

I'm in the market for new wheels/tires,i want those nitto but no traimming.

Post some shots to see how they looks like
    Dakar was just the begining.

I did not have to do any trimming, Thank God! il post some pics tomarow, their great tires though!

Oh great.

However if you decide to go for the spacers,don't add any set more then 1 inches width.

is there a reason not to go over 1 inch? saftey? or is that a opinion? lol

Mostly for safety reasons,you don't want any axle issues.the wider the stand the more stress you add to the axles & CV joints.

Plus it seems that your Vx is lifted;Is that right ?

If so then you had no trimming to do;My VX is stock,no lifted at all

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by dtruax View Post
    I just got new tires (285/60/18 terra grapplers) but kept on the stock rims. I want a wider stance, without paying a lot of $$$ for another set of rims/tires. I've heard about wheel spacers, but dont know that much about them. Has anyone used them on their vx? how much did they cost? where did you get them, and what size did you use? it seems like 1-1.5 inches would be suitable for me, but mabye im wrong, i dont know. Thanks in advance!
    Here's my two cents on wheel spacers...

I worked in tire stores for over four years as a much younger man, & anyone who wanted us to install wheel spacers for whatever reason...

1. Had to supply their own spacers, lug nuts, & anything else needed

2. Had to sign a waiver releasing us from ANY & ALL responsibility...

Take that info FWIW, I wouldn't put them on anything.

Another suggestion...email Jeff (bimati) if his email addy is still listed in his profile, & ask him of his experience with wheel spacers on his VX.
    Last edited by Ldub : 01/05/2009 at 07:48 PM

the only lift on my vx is that i put on calmini rear springs, i have the rest of the kit just havent put it on yet.

Actually i can recall that i added wheels spacers,like 1/2 inch on my old GEO tracker'93 & was just fine,never had any problem,however didn't use the one that comes with lugs,i went with the one that you just place in the wheel base.

Many many many many (a whole Lot of ) years ago guys used to get wheel spacers from J.C.Whitney either to make their cars look tougher without buying new wider tires and/or wheels or to make the new wheels and tires fit, Because back then nobody knew about "backspacing". As a matter of fact we used to mount the stock wheels bakards (backwards) on the studs to give the car a wider stance like those "Hot Rods" we couldn't afford or the race cars we saw at the Daytona Beach track.
    The spacers were either solid units with their own studs that you bolted on your drums with the stock stud bolts. This also allowed for mounting Cadillac wheels on an old VW. Don't laugh..I did it!
    Or the spacers could be individual for each stud just like very thick washers. Anyway, either way wasn't the safest thing to do. Usually the stock studs ripped out because of the extra stress the wider wheels put on the brake drums (we didn't hae those fancy shmancy Dics brakes way back then.
    I LMAO when I see some jackass riding around in a Honda Accord or Jeep with the wheels and tires sticking out beyond the fenders (Like the back side of the wheel is also out beyond the fenders). I've also seen the results when the car loses it's whole hub/disc assembly with the wheels attached flying across the road and the car headed to a ditch without their wheel. FAH!
    Bottom line I agree don't move them ut much more than 1 /2 inch..and pray all the under frame parts are in nice taught unworn condition.

from all the responses, it seems like the wheel studs seem to be the problem, NOT the spacers themselves. is there a way to buy stronger, more durable studs?

You can use adapters to move them out farther.
    Adapters are like spacers but they mount to your studs and the adapters have their own studs to mount your wheel to.

Adapters are usually used to change the bolt pattern but you can get them made that keeps same bolt pattern.
    Spyder aka Mark Miller

so does that make adapters more safe to use then spacers?

Well, as a Mechanical Engineer, there is soooo much I could say about this thread, but I will be kind and just state a few facts.

Adapters with their own studs are safer than just spacers. It takes some of the excess strain off the studs, but does nothing to help the extra strain you put on the hubs, ball joints, control arms, steering, tie rods, etc.

I have not checked the actual geometry of the VX front end, but if you move the wheel centre further away from the ball joints, you increase the stress on the ball joints by the same percentage.
    Break a ball joint and have an accident, and see what your insurance says about your cover.

Then there is the problem with clearance in the wheel well as you steer the vehicle. The pivot point does not move, but the wheel is further away from the pivot. So, the wheel moves further forward, and aft, of the centre position. All of a sudden those neat fitting tyres are scrubbing the wheel wells as you turn a corner. More trimming required.

Simple solution - don't do it!!!!!!

Hope this helps.

PK