Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Spacers

wow! thanks for all your help everyone! it does help, i still cant help but wonder if anyone has ever used spacers or adapters on a VX? anyone?
    MODIFICATIONS:
    285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Steel braided brake calbes, K&N Air Filter, Window Tinting, Debadged, 3 inch lift, Custom boulder bars, Yakima Roof Rack w/ Iron Hoarse Cage, Pioneer DEH-P6000UB deck, and more to come (once the funds do).

PK gave the best answer of all....don't use spacers or adapters.
    Good luck with your project.

My buddy was looking at putting some of these on his Ford.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/6_Lug_Adapter_s/46.htm

He's looking at the 8 lug though so his cost would be about $300 shipped.

I much prefer a rim with more offset so that you get a deeper dish - as opposed to a stock rim with spacers. The Proton has about 30K miles on it with the aftermarket rims (see my gallery). So far, no mechanical problems due to increased offset.

Warning tho. If you add spacers, you'll have to trim your cladding and pound out your fender wells. The spacers will cause your tires to rub.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

wheels with offset to push them out of the wheel wells will have a different effect than adding wheel spacers. offset wheels still transmit all their weight to the suspension at the stock point.. adding wheel spacers or adapters moves the point the weight is transmitted out away from the suspension..

the other thing is that the farther away from the hub your wheels get.. the more they travel when you turn

adapters that are bolted to the hub and have their own wheel studs would probably be OK but still not a great idea.. you have to make sure they fit absolutely properly.. and you are still adding 6 points to each wheel which could have a defect..

if you do decide to use them.. check your lugs often (including the ones that hold the spacers to the hub)

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    wheels with offset to push them out of the wheel wells will have a different effect than adding wheel spacers. offset wheels still transmit all their weight to the suspension at the stock point.. adding wheel spacers or adapters moves the point the weight is transmitted out away from the suspension..

the other thing is that the farther away from the hub your wheels get.. the more they travel when you turn

adapters that are bolted to the hub and have their own wheel studs would probably be OK but still not a great idea.. you have to make sure they fit absolutely properly.. and you are still adding 6 points to each wheel which could have a defect..

if you do decide to use them.. check your lugs often (including the ones that hold the spacers to the hub)
    Wise suggestion
    Dakar was just the begining.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by dtruax View Post
    wow! thanks for all your help everyone! it does help, i still cant help but wonder if anyone has ever used spacers or adapters on a VX? anyone?
    bimati used them but had troubles with his VX
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I used 2 inch and 3 inch adapters on my kit car.
    I did installed new wheel bearings before the install.
    Never had a problem with lugs.
    You torque the adapters and then you torque the wheels to the adapters.
    It did make the tires scrub near the center of the wheel wells due to the range of motion changing.
    Spyder aka Mark Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Bieredalsace View Post
    PK gave the best answer of all....don't use spacers or adapters.
    Good luck with your project.
    Ditto. DON'T USE ANY KIND OF SPACERS OR WHEEL ADAPTERS -- DON'T DO IT!!!

However; you did the right thing by using your stock OEM wheels when you installed your new tires, that's why your new tires don't rub and no trimming was required. Using the stock OEM wheels (with its correct OEM offset) is truly the "SECRET" that keeps everything neatly tucked inside the front wheelwells without any rubbing and no trimming. Normally, only when aftermarket wheels (with a different offset) are used is when rubbing occurs and trimming may be required. Best advice: If you don't want rubbing and/or trimming issues, then stick with your stock OEM wheels when mounting new tires!!!

So then is their any realistic way to give a vx a wider stance, without spacers, and without buying aftermarket wheels/tires???

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    um...no offense are you going for an aggressive look or a function??

if your going for function and your plan on wheeling, most likely you will scuff up your bottoms of your cladding anyhow...when i did my trimming it was a triangle only 2x2" probably, not much compared to the chunks missing from offroading...

just saying that if your going to wheel, trimming really isnt a big deal, its probably the least of your worries...

if its aesthetic, then the only way is to change your rims...or use spacers

you can achieve a little through wider tires but not what your looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by dtruax View Post
    So then is their any realistic way to give a vx a wider stance, without spacers, and without buying aftermarket wheels/tires???
    Matt-- I sent you an E-Mail, explaining your available options using the stock OEM 18x7 rim. Basically; keep the 285-series width, and increase the aspect ratio to either 65-series (LT285/65R18, 32.5" O.D./60 lbs) or 75-series (LT285/75R18, 35" O.D./66 lbs). Just be careful of "unsprung weight" in extremely heavy LT-series tires.

Lightweight "P-Series/P-Metric" tires are a much wiser option for the small sporty VX like the Pro-Comp A/T in P285/60R18, 31.3" O.D./43 lbs) or the awesome General Grabber AT2 in P275/65R18, 32.1" O.D./44 lbs). Riff Raff

good choice on the general grabber at2 Riff Raff I chose 265/70/17 was the largest tire for 17" rims, but a nice tire for snow and ice

thanks man

WISDOM-- Yes, the General Grabber AT2 in lighweight "P-Series/P-Metric" is excellent for snow and ice (and comes "pre-pinned" for studs). The Grabber AT2 is just an awesome tire at an awesome price, and probably the best all-around lightweight tire out there for our small sporty VX's!!!

I didn't realize you had 17" inch rims. For those VX'ers looking for an incredible selection of normal-style A/T tires in lightweight "P-Series/P-Metric" for the 17" rim (or any other size rim) should check-out the tire chart of the TOYO "Open Country A/T". They make a P285/70R17 (32.7" O.D./44 lbs). The tire size chart of the TOYO "Open Country A/T" is probably the most diverse on the planet. If they don't make it; then, it ain't been made!!!

Incidentally, the TOYO "Open Country A/T" in LT285/75R18 (35" O.D./66 lbs) is the only "A/T" version in this specific size tire manufactured in the world and will fit the stock OEM 18x7 rim on the 2000/2001 VX's. Yes; a very heavy tire, but a one-of-a-kind and very unique!!! Riff Raff
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 01/11/2009 at 06:15 PM

I’ve had these on for over a year. It doesn’t matter if it’s the offset or a spacer that putts the wheel out. The stress on the ball joints is the same.

Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

What size spacer is that?
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!