Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One tricked out Amigo!

I don't get Rock Crawling.I like a nice hard trail, especially with great scenery,but driving over a pile of rocks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

WOW, I haven't heard from Mike Wood in a while. Darn I wonder what his expedition rig is.
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    I ran into that one the first time I did the Rubicon - sadly he seemed kind of surprised to hear a Jeeper praise his Zu... love it but $25,000 is still way too ambitious!
    Yeah, that is a hefty price tag for a pre-modded vehicle. All I can say is "Good luck with that, buddy!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    I don't get Rock Crawling.I like a nice hard trail, especially with great scenery,but driving over a pile of rocks.
    TOTALLY agree. I mean, you want to have the means to get through rough spots, but straight up boulder driving is kinda stupid if you ask me. I hate when people compare the VX to rock crawling vehicles and are like, "well, my Jeep with a 8" lift and 37" tires can get through anything". Well, sure, its a completely different application. I consider my VX more of an explorer or safari rig. It's not a rock crawler and it's never gonna be one...

Bart

Actually, those pics are from the Little Sluice of the Rubicon - that IS the trail! I have never even attempted the Little Sluice, I just looked at it and carried on to the Big Sluice. I understand crawling but don't have the hardware for that kind of treatment.. well maybe I do now!
    So, when Grand Pa Bob's VX finished the Rubicon,did he do that trail or probably bypass it. I'm not familiar with the Rubicon.I thought it was one trail.Is it a series of trails?

I understand crawling but don't have the hardware for that kind of treatment.. well maybe I do now!
    Yeah, I mean, I can see how it might be fun, it's just not my thing at all. Hell's Revenge was an absolute BLAST! But in all honesty, it really was not that difficult, a few tricky spots, but nothing horrid. I can't imagine facing a trail full of boulders that you could only literally crawl over....it would be faster to hike it!!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Yeah, I mean, I can see how it might be fun, it's just not my thing at all. Hell's Revenge was an absolute BLAST! But in all honesty, it really was not that difficult, a few tricky spots, but nothing horrid. I can't imagine facing a trail full of boulders that you could only literally crawl over....it would be faster to hike it!!

Bart
    We usually skip the hardest parts Hells Gate, Escalator,Tip-Over Challenge.Dragons Tail freaked me out, when we went back to get Justins VX.That was the part I wouldn't drive back up! Fear of heights grabbed me for some reason?!

We usually skip the hardest parts Hells Gate, Escalator,Tip-Over Challenge.Dragons Tail freaked me out, when we went back to get Justins VX.That was the part I wouldn't drive back up! Fear of heights grabbed me for some reason?!
    Oh man, that was just a superb day. I gotta finish the videos!

Dragons Tail: Is that the spot where you can not see at all once you get to the top and if you don't turn just right you are screwed?

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Oh man, that was just a superb day. I gotta finish the videos!

Dragons Tail: Is that the spot where you can not see at all once you get to the top and if you don't turn just right you are screwed?

Bart
    Correct!! I still remember the look on your face

Did I miss that one? Dragons Tail. You did something Different when you got him? Dangit

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    Did I miss that one? Dragons Tail. You did something Different when you got him? Dangit
    No, iirc, it was just that going the "correct" way through Hell's Revenge, you go down Dragon's Tail, which is not a big deal (just steep), we all did that, but on the way back, we were going through the trail backwards to save time, and you have to drive UP that hill, which, iirc, you have to turn at the top just right and you really can't see nuthin but sky going that way....scary.

Bart

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    ya the dragon's tail is interesting lol....i had fun on it though, nothing specail...

steel bender is much more memorable for me from moab but just look at the pics lol, we definately took the wrong line..
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

So, when Grand Pa Bob's VX finished the Rubicon,did he do that trail or probably bypass it. I'm not familiar with the Rubicon.I thought it was one trail.Is it a series of trails?
    He most definitely bypassed the Little Sluice and most likely the Big Sluice as well. Although, with a good spotter, some patience, skill, nerve, and maybe some luck, I bet his VX could have tackled the Big Sluice. The Rubi is just one trail, the Little Sluice and the Big Sluice are tough optional routes. I ended up on the Big Sluice by accident the second time around - greatest mistake I may have ever made!!! The first time I did the Rubi was with a trail group of about 12 rigs, the second time was just two Jeeps. It took about 2 extra hours to complete the Big Sluice route versus the longer, more scenic, and more casual granite slab route - that may help explain how difficult the Big Sluice is. In fact, we didn't make it to the campgrounds before dark and had to camp at the lake instead! The difference is amazing yet both routes are worth running for their individual rewards.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Here is a link to our June trip to the Rubicon http://www.wasatchoutlawwheelers.com.../rubicon08.php
    I had debated up until the last minute whether to take the VX or Jeep. I made the right decision for two reasons. Linda got to drive the entire trail since this was my second trip and the VX would have been at its limit while the Jeep was not. The Rubicon IS the most famous jeep trail in the world, period. Moab is great due to the diversity of trails but the Rubicon is on the top all 4-wheelers to do list.
    I doubt that Mike will get what he wants out of his Amigo. There is a comp rig being sold by a friend of mine for 10K less that is a much better deal.

Todd, have ever run Fordyce Creek Trail? People call it the "Mini Rubicon"?

Bart