Thread: Has anyone DONE the axiom engine swap?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I thought direct injection was supposed to increase power and allow for better fuel economy, but I checked on edmunds and the Axiom gets 13/17!!!

autotrader.com research and compare puts the 2004 axiom at 18/23 for a 2wd and 17/21 for a 4wd.. weight is comparable to the vx (just a touch over 4000)

they have the 2002 listed at 16/20 (4wd).. and 17/21 (2wd).. 230 hp (still 15 over the vx) but about 100 lbs less weight

I believe that the swap is completly possible & shouldn't be that hard to set it up.

The ECU software should be easy to set guys,same applies to the direct fuel injection;Think about it & you'll find that isn't that difficult.

The engine's size is the same,the TOD is the same,just bit powerfull which is great.

I have no doubts that the swap is possible.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Actually, it I remember correctly, trans is different, it is an aisin instead of the 4l30E.

Also, Jerry on the planet always said you don't want a DI engine because they had A LOT of mechanical issues with them. Although I would like the extra power.
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX

I remember someone had DI engine swapped by the dealer on warranty. There were few pics in the past.
    2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS (build in progress): 4JX1/A340/part time, 2" body lift, front Aisin hubs, rear Aussie Locker, 4.56 gears, OEM rear sway bar disconnect, AirFlow snorkel, cabin air filter
    1980 Jeep Cherokee (assembling): 1.5" body lift, TBI, HEI
    1987 AMC Eagle: stock

I'm not saying more than this till mine is done...
    I bought the engine out of a wrecked 02 Axiom for $500, engine runs perfectly.
    I am saving up now for the R&R labor... extras... etc...

ANY engine from an 02 Axiom with 8th digit in vin 'X' whole year will work...
    ANY engine from 03 Axiom with 8th digit in vin 'X' up to May 03 will work... Same tranny as VX in both till May 03
    The mechanic says Might have to use the stock VX intake etc... for the stock VX ECU to work with engine... I have dibs to try the wreaked Axioms ECU if stock VX ECU doesn't work on Axiom intake, but won't find out till I have the $$ for the R&R...

I am going to try and get it done by May and bring it to Moab...

I will take pics and keep the forum posted to progress as I get this done...

BTW, I don't care about the mpg... I just want the HP!!

Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post

ANY engine from 03 Axiom with 8th digit in vin 'X' up to May 03 will work... Same tranny as VX in both till May 03
    The mechanic says Might have to use the stock VX intake etc... for the stock VX ECU to work with engine... I have dibs to try the wreaked Axioms ECU if stock VX ECU doesn't work on Axiom intake, but won't find out till I have the $$ for the R&R...

i could have sworn the 02 and 03 axiom had the exact same engine as the VX.. and that only the 04 was DI.. i havent done much research on the subject though

Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post

i'll not hesitate swapping the engine right away. keep us posted iron