Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has anyone DONE the axiom engine swap?

Interesting...

There's a
    Engine
    Isuzu Rodeo 24k comp 160-180 24,000 RR7141 $1800 Crabtree Auto USA-UT(Ogden)

Near my house... low miles good price... Is that the same engine as the 2004 axiom? It came up on the search.

Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post
    I'm not saying more than this till mine is done...
    I bought the engine out of a wrecked 02 Axiom for $500, engine runs perfectly.
    I am saving up now for the R&R labor... extras... etc...

ANY engine from an 02 Axiom with 8th digit in vin 'X' whole year will work...
    ANY engine from 03 Axiom with 8th digit in vin 'X' up to May 03 will work... Same tranny as VX in both till May 03
    The mechanic says Might have to use the stock VX intake etc... for the stock VX ECU to work with engine... I have dibs to try the wreaked Axioms ECU if stock VX ECU doesn't work on Axiom intake, but won't find out till I have the $$ for the R&R...

I am going to try and get it done by May and bring it to Moab...

I will take pics and keep the forum posted to progress as I get this done...

BTW, I don't care about the mpg... I just want the HP!!

i'll not hesitate swapping the engine right away. keep us posted iron
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    Interesting...

There's a
    Engine
    Isuzu Rodeo 24k comp 160-180 24,000 RR7141 $1800 Crabtree Auto USA-UT(Ogden)

Near my house... low miles good price... Is that the same engine as the 2004 axiom? It came up on the search.
    I'd be careful... I've heard of some that had a 3.5L as an option.
    This from http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...zu-rodeo-4.htm
    "Depending on the model, a Rodeo could have a mild-mannered 4-cylinder engine with 5-speed manual shift, or a 205-horsepower 3.2-liter V6 with either the manual gearbox or a 4-speed automatic transmission. A 4-speed automatic transmission became available with the 2.2-liter I4 in 2001. New for 2004 is a 3.5 liter 250-hp V6 engine, which replaces Rodeo's 4-cylinder. "

I've done a lot of research on this.. the Rodeo 3.2L engine has a designation 6VD1(L). While the VX 99-01, Trooper 98-03, and Axiom 02-03, ALL had the designation 6VE1. I can't find the designation on the 3.5L DI engine that was offered only in the 04 Axiom or 04 Rodeo. It won't be the same as the VX/Trooper/Axiom's 6VE1. And the 04 Rodeo had a different upgraded engine like the 04 Axiom had/was upgraded with the DI, so it is not the same 6VE1, I'd call that place in Ogden and ask what that engine's designation # is.

If it's the 250HP V6, it won't fit/bolt right in the VX... different trans (aisin I think)and also ask what the VIN is on the engine... it has to have the 8th digit 'X' to fit the VX for sure.

So, just to recap... ANY 3.5L engine with designation 6VE1 AND the VIN's 8th digit is 'X' will fit/bolt right in our BELOVED VXes, the only problem MIGHT be the Intake/TB/ECU on the 230HP version from the 02-03 Axiom, which I will be finding THAT out in the next month or two when I do mine.

I hope this helps all.

Oh yeah...

The 02-03 Axiom (up to May 03) had the 230HP 3.5L V6... The 04 and after May 03 had the 250HP 3.5L DI V6, the difference of course being the DI, that would mean totally different intake, TB, injectors, ECU and wiring harness, and transmission.

Here's the possible configurations for a '04 Rodeo-

A search on the Crabtree site of the two possible Rodeo engines shows no 3.2L for a '04 Rodeo in stock. It does show they have two 3.5L engines from a '04 Rodeo, so I suppose the 3.5L engines they have are the DI versions.

Mark Griffin

I have the time and materials so I did some research on the Axiom engine swap.

The '02 Axiom engine is a drive-by-wire system. The gas pedal assembly would need to be changed over to the Axiom version. It has an Aisin throttle body which is very different from the VX. The VX PCM uses the Idle Air Control Valve on the TB to control idle. The Axiom does not have this valve. It seems like the Axiom PCM has to be used to run this engine.

The two PCM's are extremely different. The Axiom PCM is located under the hood. The VX PCM is under the stock CD player. If the Axiom PCM goes under the hood of a VX, the VX tranny and TOD wires need to be extended to go thru the firewall. If the Axiom PCM goes in the VX cab, all the engine harnesses have to be extended to go thru the firewall. That's if the VX tranny and TOD control unit could be connected to the Axiom PCM. The plug connections could not be more different. The VX PCM uses three 32-way connectors. The Axiom PCM uses two 80-way connectors.

The Axiom tranny to PCM-

The VX tranny to PCM-

Isuzu has been using the same 4L30-E designation for this tranny since the early 90's. For all the major changes and tweeks this tranny has had over the years to be compatible with the specific vehicles it's used in all over the world by different auto makers, it still gets the same 4L30-E name. Even the '02 Axiom 4X4 has a different 4L30-E version than the '02 Axiom 4X2. I can't imagine the VX tranny having all the same components and the same exact electronic controls as the '02 Axiom version. The manuals refer to it as the "1999 4L30-E Transmission" and the "2002 4L30-E Transmission". Even if the tranny and TOD control unit are exactly the same, how are they going to get wired to the Axiom PCM?

To be on the safe side, you would need the Axiom engine, PCM, tranny, TOD control unit, and gas pedal assembly, preferably all from the same vehicle. Then the tranny would have to mate with our transfer case and the whole engine, tranny, TOD, and ABS system would have to talk to each other and work perfectly when it's done. After all the money and labor involved in all that, and if it doesn't work right and the problems can't be corrected, then what?

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I just want a mechanic to have this info before starting this job. I truely hope it can be done. That would be a one of a kind VX admired around the world. Even Isuzu engineers would tip their cap to such a successful project.

Mark Griffin
    Last edited by deermagnet : 01/15/2009 at 06:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    I have the time and materials so I did some research on the Axiom engine swap.

The '02 Axiom engine is a drive-by-wire system. The gas pedal assembly would need to be changed over to the Axiom version. It has an Aisin throttle body which is very different from the VX. The VX PCM uses the Idle Air Control Valve on the TB to control idle. The Axiom does not have this valve. It seems like the Axiom PCM has to be used to run this engine.

The two PCM's are extremely different. The Axiom PCM is located under the hood. The VX PCM is under the stock CD player. If the Axiom PCM goes under the hood of a VX, the VX tranny and TOD wires need to be extended to go thru the fire wall. If the Axiom PCM goes in the VX cab, all the engine harnesses have to be extended to go thru the fire wall. That's if the VX tranny and TOD control unit could be connected to the Axiom PCM. The plug connections could not be more different. The VX PCM uses three 32-way connectors. The Axiom PCM uses two 80-way connectors.

Isuzu has been using the same 4L30-E designation for this tranny since the early 90's. For all the major changes and tweeks this tranny has had over the years to be compatible with the specific vehicles it's used in all over the world by different auto makers, it still gets the same 4L30-E name. Even the '02 Axiom 4X4 has a different 4L30-E version than the '02 Axiom 4X2. I can't imagine the VX tranny having all the same components and the same exact electronic controls as the '02 Axiom version. The manuals refer to it as the "1999 4L30-E Transmission" and the "2002 4L30-E Transmission". Even if the tranny and TOD control unit are exactly the same, how are they going to get wired to the Axiom PCM?

To be on the safe side, you would need the Axiom engine, PCM, tranny, TOD control unit, and gas pedal assembly, preferably all from the same vehicle. Then the tranny would have to mate with our transfer case and the whole engine, tranny, TOD, and ABS system would have to talk to each other and work perfectly when it's done. After all the money and labor involved in all that, and if it doesn't work right and the problems can't be corrected, then what?

If we were back in the 60's when the engine, tranny, and 4X4 were not 100% electronically controlled, it would be much simpler. The electronics end is what makes this a potential nightmare.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I just want a mechanic to have this info before starting this job. I truely hope it can be done. That would be a one of a kind VX admired around the world. Even Isuzu engineers would tip their cap to such a successful project.

Mark Griffin
    Deermagnet, no offense, but did you not read my posts... basically I said all this (with less detail)... different intake, diff TB, diff ECU/PCM, diff wireharness... although this does shed some light on the fact that I probably won't even waste time on using the Axiom intake/TB etc... I'll just stick with the VX intake/TB/ECU/wireharness... As far as the tranny... The Axiom engine will bolt right up to the VX, same tranny... I already measured bolt pattern... AND, since I still have my blown engine from back in July when I first bought my VX and the engine spun a bearing a few weeks after... the engine I replaced THAT with came from a 99 trooper... and it's sitting right next to my new Axiom engine, everything on both engines is identical except intake and TB... it'll bolt right up to the VX. This will be a one-of VX... and I hope it'll help current and future generations of VXer's God forbid should their engines ever blow...

OK, that sounds great and I know you're very determined to get this done. I hope that engine will run on the VX PCM with the drive-by-wire converted to the VX cable throttle set-up. Getting the new engine wiring hooked up to the existing connections that run into the cab when it's designed to connect to a totally different PCM under the hood will be a challenge. For the tranny, I'm sure either engine will bolt up to either tranny. I'm just saying the Axiom tranny may have different components and internal electronic controls, so the Axiom tranny may need the Axiom PCM, and the VX tranny may need the VX PCM. If you're using the VX PCM the tranny and TOD are not an issue. It's just a matter of getting the new engine hooked up and running on the VX PCM. I hope it all goes well.

iamironman, my previous response was not solely directed at you, but also a general response to the whole concept of the Axiom engine swap questioned in the first post of this thread.

Mark
    Last edited by deermagnet : 01/13/2009 at 03:10 PM

Why don’t you just put in one of the coolest L6s ever made? The 1965 Pontiac OHC L6 designed by John DeLorean him self. It would probably be easier.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post

Why don’t you just put in one of the coolest L6s ever made? The 1965 Pontiac OHC L6 designed by John DeLorean him self. It would probably be easier.
    LOL...the air filter is generally capable of filtering down to 1/4" (bug size) microns...