Thread: Leaking coolant from bottom of engine

Leaking coolant from bottom of engine

Just checked under my '01 and I have drips from the bottom of the block, from a gasket...not sure what this is, possible heat exchanger? Any ideas?

It could be your water pump. Have you had the timing belt replaced recently and how many miles are on your VX?

Quote Originally Posted by hnt4redoktober View Post
    Just checked under my '01 and I have drips from the bottom of the block, from a gasket...not sure what this is, possible heat exchanger? Any ideas?
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

No I haven't had the belt replaced, and I have about 53,000 on it.

Do’s it smell like coolant?

Not really, maybe a little. It obvioulsly only happens when its running and it just started yesterday.

Is the AC on?

Mine is doing exactly the same thing...

Before I did my cv axle boots last weekend, the truck sat for 2 weeks and everyday I would find a puddle of coolant underneath. Now that the cv axles are fixed, the leak has subsided significantly.

I'll try posting pictures later today so you can see what the leak pattern is like (took some underneath the motor). Haven't started screwing with it yet...

Also keep and eye on the coolant overflow/storage container on the drivers side inner fender well. Mark the level (a small sharpie Dot) and during routine drives compare the levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

this is a one-off, but freon dye is green in color too... is it coming from the area near the A/C compressor? This would only happen if you had A/C work recently and if the moon and Rylos 7 were in alignment...
    (I only bring it up because this happened, intentionally, while I was diagnosing my A/C leak)...
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Coolant manifold up front is known to leak and then run down the front of the engine.

Tone can you elaborate on this topic? I hve small leak, appears to be coolant but can not pinpoint exactly. Thanks

Yup, I have had the same, slow coolant leak for a long time. Tone mentioned a while back it is because of a worn O-ring that is difficult to get at. Mine has been leaking like this for at least 25-30k. I just watch all my fluid levels and wipe up the drips of coolant off the garage floor. See this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...t=goblin+blood

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    The coolant manifold Tone referred to, is located under the intake manifold.
    It houses the thermostat, & also feeds or returns (can't remember which way it flows) the heating system.
    There is a metal pipe connected to it, that is sealed with an O ring, that degenerates with time.
    It's also REAL easy to nick upon reassembly, & you won't know you've done it until EVERYTHING is all back together & you're trying to add coolant...

~Just started dripping 2 spots on garage floor, size of nickel each. car sitting level.
    ~spots were dark brown/charcoal color, not oily (but not green)
    ~reservoir is exactly midway between min/max. Marked with grease pencil just now (as Bart did)
    ~"Appears" to source back to bottom of antifreeze RESERVOIR plastic container. leakage is seen coming from under plastic reservoir and rolling down metal parts there.
    ~Metal area directly under plastic reservoir shows leakage/gunk in all directions. Not that crusty like Bart's pics of green AF, looks moist, almost like oil, but not oily.
    ~Haven't checked the many other places suggested in that thread as most obvious appears to be the reservoir unit itself at this point.
    ~Radiator fluid is green, filled to top of radiator cap. Fluid in reservoir also green
    ~Thin Hose from reservoir to radiator shows no leakage or gunk at reservoir end.
    ~no smell of AF in cab or under hood (???)
    ~Ldub, no leakage from areas with 3 red arrows you showed in post of 12/3/06...BTW how the &#%@ did you get your engine so clean...looks like you could eat off of it....
    ~Haven't squeezed any hoses yet like IndianaVX suggestd to see if I can see it squirt
    ~no off-roadin', temps around 62 day/42 night
    ~if fluid in radiator is contaminated, how would I tell?
    ~Going to get radiator flushed ASAP (was going to get it done soon anyway...)

Think the actual plastic reservoir is leaking since the leakage is kind of broad from under it ?

Here's pics:

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

kat, i have that same spot, mine never shows up under the vx though.. has been going on for maybe 3 weeks now.. reservoir hasnt changed.. and it smells like transmission fluid.. but my power steering is full too hopefully ou figure it out!