Thread: LED driving light replacement

LED driving light replacement

I just installed some LEDs to replace the 18 watt malibu lights I had been using in the driving lights. Thought I would share the results.

Ordered the WHP15 from superbrightleds.com (I'm not being paid, although I wouldn't mind it ) I chose the cool white color. It is a 194/168 socket bulb.

They initially when I installed them they weren't lighting up. Problem was the leads weren't long enough. So I did a little lengthening with some copper wire.

After installing them they are looking a lot brighter than the malibu lights they replaced, but it is hard to say without seeing them at night. I'll post an update after I see how they are at night.

(the headlights are silver stars for reference)

Nice, I am definately interested in what they look like at night. What kind of cost?

Yeah, how much? I am still running stock bulbs so I would be interesting in upgrading as well.

Thanks - Bart

$17 each

WLED-WHP15 Wedge Base Bulb
    Miniature Wedge Base Bulb (194/168 type) with 15 High Power Cool or Warm White LEDs
    12 VDC, 360 Viewing Angle, 75 lumen - Polarized bulb
    Select Color Temp.
    $ 16.95

Quote Originally Posted by johnny010 View Post
    $17 each

WLED-WHP15 Wedge Base Bulb
    Miniature Wedge Base Bulb (194/168 type) with 15 High Power Cool or Warm White LEDs
    12 VDC, 360 Viewing Angle, 75 lumen - Polarized bulb
    Select Color Temp.
    $ 16.95
    Thats them.

Didn't get night pics-- I'll get them soon though.

They don't do much in the way of illuminating beyond 10 feet. The housing diffuses most of the light and aims the rest most of the light from this bulb downward and toward the inside. It is still a very bright looking light. Although I haven't looked at it from far away, I'd say these look much more intense than the incandescent at a distance in the same way the newer LED stoplights are compared to the old bulbs.

The color is a bit bluer than I had hoped, if I had a do over I'd probably opt for the warm white. But it does give the car a bit of a futuristic look. I bet if I had HIDs installed I'd like the color better.

There was a warning that came with the lights saying something along the lines of, "Don't install in a headlight housing. The excess heat will shorten the lifespan and void the warranty." When I was removing the Malibu's, one of the bulbs had gotten so hot that the glass had expanded such that I had to break the bulb to get it out of the housing . This weekend I'll be making a 4 hour drive twice, so I'll see how they hold up. After just puttering around town though, they were only warm to the touch-- nothing like the scalding hot malibus after mere seconds.

Funny this popped up because when I got home tonight, I realized I have 3 lights out. One rear side marker, one front fake-me-out foglight, and 1 top headlight marker. I replaced all with LED bulbs a couple years ago and upon looking at the ones that were out, it appears that the damage inside the bulb is probably from road vibration breaking the actual connection. Because of that, I am still skeptical about replacing the typical 194 LED with something over $2.00 a piece. I just ordered 10 simple $1.50 LED replacements from superbrightleds.

Oh, and in my LED experience, I have tried quite a few different white ranges. Whether it's super white, cool, or warm, they all seem to throw a blue tint of some sort. That's the nature of LED though. Here in MD, the popo loves to chew up people with blue lights, so it is of particular interest to me to get just the right one. Sadly, it has been a no-win situation thus far. Though, with the warms, even though slightly blue, I have not been bothered by them.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT