Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scary times

Scary times

All,

My wife had a mild heart attack last week and had 2 stents put in for partially clogged arteries. At 44 it was just about the last thing we expected.

The good news is that she is fine and returned to work today. We're looking at it as a blessing since anything less would not have been a good enough warning to change our lifestyle.

She's stopped smoking now & I've almost stopped chewing too. The 'heart healthy' diet is probably going to kill us tho.

Anyway, keep in mind that even without a family history of heart disease, relatively healthy lifestyle; you can still be at risk. Take care of yourselves - we don't want to lose any family members.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    YIKES... that's the sort of thing that'll get your attention.

Hope all goes & STAYS well for you both.

That heart healthy diet sounds like a drag though...

glad to hear camp mom is already back to work tom i agree lets keep everyone 'round these parts healthy and happy!
    Last edited by etlsport : 01/26/2009 at 10:00 AM

Yes Tom, glad to hear she is ok and on the up and up. I quit smoking when I was 26 and haven't looked back. Now if I could only curtail my bad eating habits and get more exercise.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bart

Tom, praying for your wife's full and quick recovery.

I turn 41 in a couple of weeks and was convicted I needed to get into better shape last year. I've been doing real well and probably in the best shape of my life right now. Besides feeling better and having more energy I am sure my heart is in much better conditioning. I encourage everyone to just get started and stay consistent at it. It took probably 2 months of consistently working out before my body really adapted and it started feeling great.

Yikes!

Glad your wife is doing better. Scary time, I'm sure. Best wishes, and I hope the new diet isn't TOO extreme. Good luck to you both!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Quote Originally Posted by ISCE View Post
    Tom, praying for your wife's full and quick recovery.

I turn 41 in a couple of weeks and was convicted I needed to get into better shape last year. I've been doing real well and probably in the best shape of my life right now. Besides feeling better and having more energy I am sure my heart is in much better conditioning. I encourage everyone to just get started and stay consistent at it. It took probably 2 months of consistently working out before my body really adapted and it started feeling great.

Convicted of what?

hehehe... had to do it.

Wow! That's really scarey! Sounds like you're working together to make the new lifestyle work. Keep it up.
    Peace.
    Tom
    Last edited by tomdietrying : 01/26/2009 at 04:56 PM
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

It's good to have a "nuclear stress test" REGARDLESS of your level of fitness or age! In addition to that, I had a whole body scan, which revealed VERY little plaque in my arteries, and a heart like a Sherpa. My diet is abysmal, and I've been off the bicycle for 9 months now, so I've gained 30 pounds. I recently had a flying-related blood clot removed from my leg, and am waiting for the O.K. to start riding again...

My point to all this is don't assume ANYTHING about the condition of your heart and arteries! One of my bike-riding buddies, who was thin as a stick and would ROUTINELY go out on our 27 mile trail and run circles around the 20 year olds dropped dead last April of a MASSIVE heart attack on the trail - 53 years old! On cholesterol meds, but with NO indication of any heart/artery issues otherwise...

Glad to hear that your wife is O.K. - a lesson to everyone else: getcher ticker checked out!

Remember Jim Fix

Back in the 70s he authored a few books on jogging and started the whole jogging craze. He was found dead at 56 years old. Everything in moderation including exercise.

(Except for beer drinking of course)

Close call, I’m glad she’s OK. I’ve been taking Fish pills and Aspirin for about 6 years now. I had a checkup before I went to Vietnam last year and the doctor was amazed how healthy my cardiovascular system was. I haven’t changed my diet at all and the only exorcise I get is from a set of 20LB dumbbells by my desk.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Glad to read all is better now. You just never know. Keep up with the new "diet" and exercise. I think this thread just made me realize I am due for a "smog and safety" inspection as it has been over a year.
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    Back in the 70s he authored a few books on jogging and started the whole jogging craze. He was found dead at 56 years old. Everything in moderation including exercise.

(Except for beer drinking of course)
    Actually, 52...

Yeah, I've been swimming. I'm trying to get to 3 days a week, 30-40 minues of swimming. If I can get there and cut my diet down a little, I think I will be on the road to much better. My sedintary job is really taking a toll on my weight and general physical well being. Swimming is awesome because it doesn't hurt like jogging. I need to combine some moderate weight training in with my swimming though.

Bart

Praying for you and your wife, thanks for your service to all of us VXer's here on the forum you really are a beloved member