Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Center Mod...

Wheel Center Mod...

Hi,
    I finally got around to modding my wheel centers. I've been wanting to do this debadge/VX mod since I had my old '99 astral. I had a guy do my VX emblem design in silver vinyl. I then took off the wheels, the centers, and then tried removing the plastic Isuzu inserts... when I found that the plastic is VERY intolerant to brake cleaner! While lifting an edge of the round insert with a very small flathead screwdriver, I tried spraying brake cleaner behind the disk to soften the double-faced tape holding it to the wheel. Wow... I'm glad I wasn't wanting to keep the Isuzu inserts. They literally MELTED and disintegrated! Within about 60 secs. I had each center removed from the chrome centers... it was like shattered glass when done. A big mess..
    Next step was sanding the center chrome with 150, priming, then painting with gloss black epoxy paint. The next day, I applied the VX decals, and WaLah! Here they are! What do you think?
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Hmmm; for me, I don't like it. The lettering is too fancy of a font style. As a result, it looks more like the number "4" (when turned sideways). Since the wheel hub rotates, it will never be perfectly level to depict the desired "VX".

Further; it's hard to tell which way is actually UP, because of the too fancy font lettering style. From the typical pedestrian walking by your truck and looking at it, then it could mean just about anything depending on how it's positioned (rotated) at the time.

I guess you could put an "underline" underneath it similiar to the #6 and #9 billiard balls in the game of pool, to help the viewer know which way is actually UP. As it is currently depicted, it looks more like a fancy number "4".

My Dad once told me long ago-- "Son; never ask the question, that you don't want to hear the answer to." Sorry; no offense, but you asked. As Homer Simpson would say-- "Doh!!!"

i agree its a little tough to see if you dont know what it is.. but i do like the mod

WOAH ! Tough Croud, lol

i like it, and if they want to know what car it is they can look up at the sticker on the side of the car
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

I agree as well, too hard to read, but it is a good idea, and if the "VX" were just a simple "VX" then I would probably like it quite a bit. As of now it looks like you are trying to make it look like the old rotary performance emblem seen on some rx7's:

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    My Dad once told me long ago-- "Son; never ask the question, that you don't want to hear the answer to." Sorry; no offense, but you asked. As Homer Simpson would say-- "Doh!!!"
    You know, I think you are dead on there...
    I guess I've got to be more careful when I post my ideas on here.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    I agree as well, too hard to read, but it is a good idea, and if the "VX" were just a simple "VX" then I would probably like it quite a bit. As of now it looks like you are trying to make it look like the old rotary performance emblem seen on some rx7's:
    Never seen that one before...
    My VX emblem is taken from the V in Vehicross, then adding a slash to the back-end of the V (in the same font style) to make the X...

Just trying to be unique...............

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    As a result, it looks more like the number "4" (when turned sideways).
    Never noticed that... just did.
    Thanks

Unique emblem for a Unique vehicle. I like your ingenuity!

Thank you!

I did a mod awhile back, then got different wheels. But for you that still have the OEM wheels, Kevin at http://www.401graphics.com/vehicross.htm did a carbon fiber insert with chrome VX overlay for us.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Thanx, ROWHARD (John)-- now that's what I'm talkin 'bout!!! Those centercap decals look really good and are very easy to read. I didn't know about this "401" website. Thanx for sharing it with the rest of us and posting the web-link. Aim High!!!

I emailed Kevin last Superbowl Sunday, thinking I would get a reply on the following Monday or Tuesday. I wondering if he could do anything like that with carbon fiber and the logo. He was back to me within the hour with the link on his web page. Also will do sweatshirts and what have you. Have also been thinking about some side graphics and emailed him. Told me to send a side view of my VX and to pick a few that I liked and he would photoshop them together. The man knows how to please and do business

Whats the best way to get the oem decal/stickers off the center caps?

Heat gun, razor blade and some goo gone.
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread