Thread: shift shaft seal replaced

shift shaft seal replaced

Was dripping a tiny bit of what I thought was oil, up near driver's side front. About 1 teaspoon every 3 days. Took it in to auth Isuzu place- leaking "shift shaft seal". say that 3 times fast! Told me it was transmission fluid leaking, not motor oil. Anybody else have this come up? Is it common, how frequent, etc? 2001, 64k miles (no known service history). Thx!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Hey check your power steering pump and hoes it could be comein from there i get the same drips and thats were mine drips from,yes your power steering pump use transmisson fluid.

Where around the drivers side front is it coming out of. I think I might have a similar problem. I was spraying something from underneath my rig on the way to Moab last year, but had no real problems after that. I do have some seepage from where my engine and trans. connect, which sounds maybe like what you have going on.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

The drip was about 7" in from the inside edge of Left front tire, and then about 4" toward the back of the car.

Thumbs up

Hi VX Kat,
    I had the same issue when I bought mine with 135k. I had pink fluid leaking from the trans.area so I was going to change all the fluids anyways including a full trans. service so I figured after I replaced both trans. gaskets, all would be good. Well it wasnt. I thought is was a faulty trans.pan aftermarket gasket so I changed to factory, no change. Finally pinpointed to to the shift shaft seal on the left side (driver's side) middle of trans on side. Took about 1 hour to replace it and the seal was cheap. Mine was failed due to brittle and aged. See my thread I started about this:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14273
    Good luck!
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

Thanks Turbo, I had done a search on "shift shaft seal"...not "selector shaft seal" and didn't come up with your thread. Yeah, I too was really glad it was CHEAP! Was $106 with parts/labor out the door. I have no mechanical skills and have to rely on the auth Isuzu place, at least I'm lucky, they're close, only 20 miles.

Cool !!!!
    :bwgr: