Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CB Radio?

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Kat i was gonna go simular to this one here like Tonka has done. But was much easier just to mount in the guard.

My vx lives under a carport which is fairly low. even my radio antenna hit so thats the main reason why i havent mounted a roof one.

Sue,

I bought a standard "mirror mount" from a truck stop here in town, but you can get them anywhere:
    http://www.cbradiosplus.com/shop/pc/...idproduct=1070

All of them seem to come in chrome so I just scuffed mine up with some sandpaper and then spray painted it matte black to sort of match the Yakima basket.

As you can see, the mount is in two pieces so you could really mount it anywhere on your "sweet rack". I just tend to like symmetry, so I mounted mine in the middle.

My garage door is pretty low, so I was looking for an install that I could remove and you would never know that it's there.

Here's the original thread explaining the install. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=cb+install
    There are also a bunch of other good ideas for CB mounts that others posted up.

Can't wait to see what you come up with in Moab.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I had seen "mirror mount" in my google searches and passed on them 'cuz I wasn't mounting it to the mirror! DOH! I "assumed" it wasn't what I needed. It's PERFECT! I have my flag mount on the drivers side of the Yakima, and I used some flat black paint on some parts, so we're thinkin' alike on that.
    And I had read that thread in the wee hrs of the morn but someone had missed your pictures.

Yours looks like it has "rounded" grippers that nicely conform to the Yakima bar, so far I only can find the angled. I'll keep searching.

Also, I've seen both 2 screw and 4 screw models....the 4 like yours would obviously be more secure, no wobble possible, is that why you went with the 4?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's the way I'll go. Thanks a million!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Sue,

The mount that I linked above is the same one that I have and, yes, it does have angles and "teeth" where it would fit around the bar/mirror. Normally I guess those teeth bite into the metal to stop the mount from rotating, but I didn't want to eff my basket up so I cut out a strip of black rubber, wrapped that around the basket bar, and then clamped the mount over that. That install has been great so far with 70+ mph highway speeds and lots of bouncing around off road with no movement of the antenna....and no damage to the basket bar.

I did go with the four bolt model just to make sure that I could "custom" fit it securely where I wanted to.

Glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Sue,

The mount that I linked above is the same one that I have and, yes, it does have angles and "teeth" where it would fit around the bar/mirror. Normally I guess those teeth bite into the metal to stop the mount from rotating, but I didn't want to eff my basket up so I cut out a strip of black rubber, wrapped that around the basket bar, and then clamped the mount over that. That install has been great so far with 70+ mph highway speeds and lots of bouncing around off road with no movement of the antenna....and no damage to the basket bar.

I did go with the four bolt model just to make sure that I could "custom" fit it securely where I wanted to.
    Excellent, instead of PK in my brain, now I have you...I put rubber around the Yakima bar before I put my flag mount on it...maybe I'm actually gettin' the hang of this "handy" stuff (not to be confused with "Handee"...that's a whole nutter story)...although don't even ask me how many times I had to disassemble & reassemble the Thule rack before I got the order of assembly correct, ...and I've already bribed Dub so he's not talkin'!
    But now I dun know how it dun go togetter real good!

OK got my Cobra 75 with it's little junction/connection box. We're "thinkin" of trying to hook this up ourself to save some money. We are not at all experienced in dealing with car & electric stuff....

Think putting it under front seat like Billy did would be best/easiest.

etlsport- can't recall where you put yours.

Could any youz guys give us a detailed "how-to" explanation for connection box and to the power?

Do I need to look up some VX schematics to find some info or anything? I figure there's got to be a source of power in that console as Jack put his in the center console box and Jay Dunford put Tom's in the rear console ashtray.
    Jack- you said you're great with the install details....help...

I ran my power wire to the fuse box on the drivers side of the dash. I used a piggy back fuse (available at radio shack or most any other electronics shops) and used the cigarette lighter fuse. As far as mounting the box, I cut the carpet on 3 sides creating a flap and mounted it to the bare metal. I rau the mic cord to the center console and then forward (cord is plenty long) to the dash. Position the box with the antanaue connection up and forward. This way attachment/removal of ant. is easily done by reaching under the seat from the front. If you have any other questions throw them out there.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    electrically..... do you want it to turn on and off with your VX?

its nice to have it turn on and off with the ignition, but every time you turn the vehicle off, your going to have to re-set the CB channel (which i found very annoying in moab and sometimes i would forget and miss out on conversation)

however, if it stays on all the time, then you have a chance of leaving it on and draining your battery.

so, let me know which way you would like to connect it and i will help you find a wire that will work
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    electrically..... do you want it to turn on and off with your VX?

its nice to have it turn on and off with the ignition, but every time you turn the vehicle off, your going to have to re-set the CB channel (which i found very annoying in moab and sometimes i would forget and miss out on conversation)

however, if it stays on all the time, then you have a chance of leaving it on and draining your battery.

so, let me know which way you would like to connect it and i will help you find a wire that will work
    I think we should have it turn on/off with ignition, we'll just have to change the channel, no problem.

Here's our "plan": Remember this is weird locations on the left because I have to have it that way.
    We got the mini piggyback fuse like Billy & Mark described. We're going to piggyback it on the lighter fuse, run the wire out the fuse lid, down the left kick panel, along left most edge of carpet by sill to connection box which will be mounted on the floor, (cut carpet on 3 sides to mount it) right next the driver's seat, on left. We'll tuck the cable the same route, with the mic/handset holder around the fuzzy hole area/ left of steering column.

I think the CB will go on/off with ignition if we use the cig lighter fuse, correct?

Decided not to worried about visibility of the connect box, and I can shove the handset under seat when I leave.

Seemed a pretty clear (read: easy) way to do all this....

Think it will all be OK? THe mini fuse can handle up to 30A.

ya, it will work just fine like that.

definately do the math to figure out exactly what amperage is required for your project. dont ever change to a larger fuse unless you know that the vehicle is still safe. i would try to use the current fuse rating. and if you blow the fuse, let me know and ill figure out what amperage you need

Get yourselves a JDM dash and then it fits luverly

And this is my twig, which looks good, was easy to SWR and so far have no problems with range etc. Its a Sirio Taifun.

Nick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1997 Vehicross with mods coming! --- 1995 Pajero with lots of mods!
    2000 Audi Allroad - Wife won't let me mod

Owner of the Four Wheel Drive Club in the UK - pop in and say hi! Click pic for link.

The cig lighter fuse will turn on and off with ignition. The cobra cb that we have will store the channel for a while when off (over night it will loose it but not for short trail stops or lunch etc.).
    The only problem I forsee with the mic on the left side is that if you forget about it when getting out it might cause you to trip or fall as you get out of the VX.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    The cig lighter fuse will turn on and off with ignition. The cobra cb that we have will store the channel for a while when off (over night it will loose it but not for short trail stops or lunch etc.).
    The only problem I forsee with the mic on the left side is that if you forget about it when getting out it might cause you to trip or fall as you get out of the VX.
    Yeah, that's was our thoughts to, so by securing the cable and the mic cord up on the front of the left kick panel seam we're hoping it will stay out of the way enough. If not we'll figger somethin' else....or I could just go buy and import that gorgeous JDM 6/175 in that beige color from NZ on ebay. That shouldn't cost but oh, about, let's say $30,000 USD to import, if I even could do it! But it would solve my problem!

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    or I could just go buy and import that gorgeous JDM 6/175 in that beige color from NZ on ebay. That shouldn't cost but oh, about, let's say $30,000 USD to import, if I even could do it! But it would solve my problem!
    DO EEEEET!!!!!

YAH! This is finally done! Brainstormed some more with my off road shop the other day and had them do the final CB install. Said it'd be so easy to install the box up under the dash, we just decided to have them do it....

Decided to use the rheostat knob as the area to plug in the mic. We used a little sheet of metal cut down to fit in the fuzzy hole, bent it 90 degrees, attached with Velcro, installed the mic hanger on the metal. We put the hanger up as high as possible to minimize blocking the air vent. When I'm done I can just remove the metal sheet with the hanger with the Velcro. Presto!

The cord drapes down but just brushes my legs getting in or out so no tripping, and can lay mic on floor so it's not so obvious when I leave the truck. It's unconventional but this layout works great for me!

Also tested it with Dave's Cobra Handheld CB, and his 5ft FireStik antenna & my 3ft FireStik...you know ...my Barbie Antenna. Able to hear clearly with virtually no static, over 2 little "mountains" away from each other, distance of almost 1 mile. And that's with the rubber type drawer liner & 1 layer of friction tape between my antenna mount & the roof rack bar....something the FireStik CB people told us wouldn't work....but I know it worked for you Mark, so I wanted to try it before I removed the tape and scratched up the black Yakima bar. This reception is also BEFORE we've tuned either antenna with the SWR meter we got....how much better could this get?
    YAH!! We're happy!!! All I have to do is dremel down a spot on the fuse cover and that's it.