Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Moab ZooZu XII

A group of us shared a tent site at the Portal this year. Watch out for that crazy BigSwede, he’s a loud party animal..

And those obnoxious yappers Menace (the grey hound) and Cinder.

I enjoyed it. They have showers that are pretty clean and free which is nice. A pond for dogs and another pond for people. I only went this year and it turned out to be a bit chilly and rained so I don’t know what the tent camping would be like if its HOT.

My wife and I are on the fence. I would love to go again and so would she but money is soooo tight that we can hardly save. I might try to get a PT job to help save.

Well the Colorado River is about it...it is a desert

You can camp on BLM land for next to nothing (and no services whatsoever), but for more civilized camping I recommend Portal RV Park. They have individual and group tenting spots, restrooms, and best of all about 5 clean showers (cleaner than most campgrounds for sure). That will run you $8-10.50/day. There is also a lovely pond for my dog to cool off in.

Over the next few months we will need to figure out if a group site is in order, otherwise if two people share an individual site (plenty of room for multiple tents) it works out to $10.50 each per day. It is $8 per additional person after the first two.

This is my campsite last year, at a group site with the Reno VX crowd (they are out of the frame to the right)

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyG View Post
    Hey BigSwede I would like to take yea up on the offer for sharing a site to camp, as long as yea dont mind, some wild and crazy 20 somethings, lol JK not to wild-n-crazy!!!
    Sounds fine to me...if plans (or...employment ) change they only require 48 hours notice for cancellation so we could go ahead and reserve a site anytime. The price works out to about the same whether it is an individual site or group site. All of the tenting sites are all pretty close together anyway.

As far as partying, if it's anything like last year most of the party was at the Red Rock motel with Larry and crew...didn't spend a lot of time at the campground except to sleep. Might've been a campfire one night...

Portal also tends to be a bit of an organizing spot for trail runs.

How many nights you want to be out there? This is what I usually do: leave home on Saturday, overnight in Denver, hit the Rockie Mountains fresh in the morning and arrive Moab on Sunday afternoon to set up camp. The heart of the event is Wednesday - Saturday, although I think you VXers do your run on Tuesday(?). So then you have an extra day to sightsee, hike, go to Arches National Park (just down the road), shop in town, whatever. Depart the following Sunday and get home on Monday. So it is 7 nights of camping.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    I only went this year and it turned out to be a bit chilly and rained so I don’t know what the tent camping would be like if its HOT.
    Some years it has been pretty hot, but it always cools down nicely after the sun goes down. Generally sunset coincides with the donning of the sweatshirts.

Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I got pretty excited when I saw the new pics of the campground. Especially when I saw that pool! But then saw that it was only for the elite north side (owned sites). Oh well, there is still a pool in town with lap swimming!

"Yeah there's a pool...and a pond...pond would be good for you!" :bgwg:

Linda and I will be at Pack Creek and we plan to do the VX BBQ on Tuesday night.
    Todd

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    im tryin to do the camping thing again, but whitney is really pushing for the hotel (cant imagine why)....

but there is a possibility we will have bentley with us, so i dunno if they will let us stay in the hotel with him...he's a purebred rott but hes a good dog, real easy going...

if we end up at the campground he's gonna be a "lab mix"...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Well as for now ive got some college classes on Sundays so for May ive got to talk to the instructor to get them moved, I work second shift so on the Friday I dont get off work till 10:30, figured id be packed and ready to go by Saturday morning. It doesnt matter I figured on definitly six or seven nights.

My map takes me to Columbia MO, over to Topeka KS, then to Denver CO so not sure how far ill make it but ive got two friends going id say saturday we could meet up with yea in Denver for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    but there is a possibility we will have bentley with us, so i dunno if they will let us stay in the hotel with him...he's a purebred rott but hes a good dog, real easy going...

Sorta like Menace is a "greyhound mix"

Dogs love Portal because of the pond...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    "Yeah there's a pool...and a pond...pond would be good for you!" :bgwg:
    LoL...SPAULDING !!!

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    im tryin to do the camping thing again, but whitney is really pushing for the hotel (cant imagine why)....

Check with the RR Lodge to see if they have a size limit, Cece had her dog staying there last year.

I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....I want to go...I want to go....I want to go....I want to go....

Time review the budget

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Adams View Post
    Linda and I will be at Pack Creek and we plan to do the VX BBQ on Tuesday night.
    Todd
    Excelent! And I can't wait to see what you pick out for the VX run trail!