Thread: Removing Passenger Seat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Removing Passenger Seat

I haven't purchased my VX just yet, I am hoping maybe this weekend. However, I have been reading ALOT of the forums and there has been some discussion about what to do with the back seat(car seat, leg room, etc.). Has anyone ever considered removing the passenger seat all together. It would solve the whole car seat issue. Plenty of leg room and added storage space. I guess this option kinda make sense to me since I would usually only transport myself and soon, a baby. If my Wife rode with me, she could ride in the back with the baby. The VX is not going to be our primary vehicle. My wife has our "family car".

Thoughts?

i rode without a passenger seat for about a week.. good visibility.. the only thing to think about is that the TOD computer is under that seat, so it would be exposed and you would need to be really careful about stepping on it

other than that theres really no reason it couldnt be done.. but the floor is not flat at all there just fyi

its REALLY easy to take the seat in and out though so no reason you couldnt try it

Cover

Do you think it would be easy to put some type of cover over the TOD computer?

Maybe with velcro so it just covers and stays in place until it needs to be accessed?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Do you think it would be easy to put some type of cover over the TOD computer?

Maybe with velcro so it just covers and stays in place until it needs to be accessed?
    I would say you could probably construct some sort of box to go over the important stuff down there. If you did it right, it would be kinda cool. Maybe something made out of diamond plate that can be bolted down where the seat was, and give you a flat, slip resistant surface to step on.

Bart

Nice

That's a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I would say you could probably construct some sort of box to go over the important stuff down there. If you did it right, it would be kinda cool. Maybe something made out of diamond plate that can be bolted down where the seat was, and give you a flat, slip resistant surface to step on.

Bart
    that was about my thought process.. i wouldnt just lay something over it because it would still crush.. if it were me i would probably do a wooden box that would fit over it under the carpet

of course i would also probably build a storage compartment into the passenger seat footwell since the space would never be used forward of where the old seat was

Along the lines of "rear seat passenger access", I've been thinking about my old Jeep Wrangler, vis a vis the front seats. They had a "slide & tilt" mechanism built into each one - does anyone else remember this? It occurs to me that it might be a reasonably simple task to retrofit that mechanism to our Recaro front seats. It's on MY list of things to do, assuming I can find a Wrangler at a fairly close junkyard. Has anyone else tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    that was about my thought process.. i wouldnt just lay something over it because it would still crush.. if it were me i would probably do a wooden box that would fit over it under the carpet

of course i would also probably build a storage compartment into the passenger seat footwell since the space would never be used forward of where the old seat was
    I am hoping to be able to swap the passenger seat back in if I were ever to go on a trip with a buddy or something and need the storage space in the back. Plus, I wouldn't want to be "Driving Miss Daisy" if there wasn't a baby involved. So the under the carpet idea and storage compartment would not give me that ability as easily. However, I was thinking maybe I could take both ideas and combine them. Have a larger bolt on cover that has a storage compartment built on to that. So if I unbolt it, the storage compartment comes with it and I am ready to put the passenger seat back in.