O.K. guys, finally scored me a mint 58K highway mile '01 Proton garage queen. It's stone stock, except for a set of BF Goodrich Long Trails in 265/60/18. No, I ain't gonna be lifting it or taking it to Moab; it's gonna be my daily driver - freeway runs up to L.A. once per week, and schlepping my trail bicycle to and from my bike trails. Here's my questions:

I'm leaning towards a set of General Grabbers in 265/60/18; they're getting great reviews all around as a good all-season SUV road tire. In the opinion of the more learned members of the group, will the slightly larger profile of the 265 ride more smoothly than the stock 245?

For those with experience with the Rancho RS9000XL's who have replaced the stock shocks that were in DECENT condition, was there a noticeable improvement in ride quality? How "low did you go" on the dial settings for highway use? Do they ride better than the equivalent Bilsteins?

I've already read a PILE of threads on shocks and tires, but have yet to see the definitive thread on THE best choice for highway shocks and tires. I realize that we're talking about a stoutly-sprung, short wheelbase SUV; I'm not expecting a Coupe de Ville - just trying to get the max. comfort out of the limited constraints that we're working with...

BTW, I SURE do like that I'm NOT driving a Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, BMW M3, Infinity EX35, VW Tiguan, Mercedes GLK, Lexus RX, Land Rover LR2, Subaru Forester, or Acura RDX! I researched the sh*te outta ALL of 'em; couldda bought ANY of 'em - and I'd rather own my "new" VX than the best of the above!