Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My engine is TOAST

My engine is TOAST

I was driving 70 mph on open interstate when my oil pressure light started to blink. About 5 seconds later the engine stopped and I coasted to a stop. I checked my oil and there was none. I poured in a quart of oil and it came right out of a 3 inch hole in the oilpan. I had it towed in and my mechanic tells me that the engine put a rod through the pan. He says I need a new engine.
    I have found two rebuilt engines; one for $2300+800 core+shipping, one for $3200+400 core+free shipping incl core return.
    The mechanic seems very competent and feels comfortable with swap.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by DaveMcKenz : 02/09/2009 at 05:18 PM

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    sounds like a great deal...i searched and i ended up paying 4,000 for my new motor....
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I also believe the price is just fair though.

So my suggestion is : Go for it
    Dakar was just the begining.

NONONO!!! Part it out so the rest of us can reap the benefits of your loss.

Seriously..... Good deal on the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by crager34 View Post
    NONONO!!! Part it out so the rest of us can reap the benefits of your loss.

Seriously..... Good deal on the engine.
    lol when i read the first part of this i was like WTF thats messed up!!!

then i read the second part and i got a good laugh...

get good used!

www.car-part.com

salvage yarts all accross america, get a good used late model engine, low miles! save money!

First off, that sounds like a great deal!

Second off... Where the heck have you been!?! NoctunalVX and I live in Edison Park (down the street from you! ). Member since 2006 and this is the first we have seen or heard of you?!? Or is this a computer glitch?

Hope you come out to the next meet. We should be having one in the near future.

Well if there is anything you need help with just holler. We are neighbors. We have a good amount of resources and a great (and I do mean GREAT) mechanic that most Chicagoland VXers go to.

Good luck!
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

A member since 2006? Park Ridge??

Good luck getting your VX fixed ASAP. Hope to see yu at our next meet!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcKenz View Post
    I was driving 70 mph on open interstate when my oil pressure light started to blink. About 5 seconds later the engine stopped and I coasted to a stop. I checked my oil and there was none. I poured in a quart of oil and it came right out of a 3 inch hole in the oilpan. I had it towed in and my mechanic tells me that the engine put a rod through the pan. He says I need a new engine.
    I have found two rebuilt engines; one for $2300+800 core+shipping, one for $3200+400 core+free shipping incl core return.
    The mechanic seems very competent and feels comfortable with swap.
    Any ideas?
    WOW Dave sorry to hear, If you decide not fix it and want to sell it "as is" PM me...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

You guys are trying to take candy from a baby! Frickin' VULTURES!!! Go find your own that is already up for sale; instead of trying to convince new and active members to get rid of theirs. Our numbers are small enough. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

CANNIBALS!

I'm not going to post my VX ailments anymore... there will be a zombified VX crowd marching toward my garage, scratching at the windows, peeling back the siding, moaning at the unfufilled need for used parts! LOL... actually that's not too far fetched...

We need to be convincing him to go to Moab! His motor should be broken in by then or he can break it in on the way there...hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN View Post
    You guys are trying to take candy from a baby! Frickin' VULTURES!!! Go find your own that is already up for sale; instead of trying to convince new and active members to get rid of theirs. Our numbers are small enough. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

CANNIBALS!

I'm not going to post my VX ailments anymore... there will be a zombified VX crowd marching toward my garage, scratching at the windows, peeling back the siding, moaning at the unfufilled need for used parts! LOL... actually that's not too far fetched...

We need to be convincing him to go to Moab! His motor should be broken in by then or he can break it in on the way there...hmmm?
    i call dibs on your wheels and your nose mask.....

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I'm trying to set this up via long distance since the car is with my son at University of Iowa. I will keep you posted and thanks again. I think I am looking at $5K installed rebuilt engine with 12/12 warranty. BTW my car is a sweet 2002 proton yellow w 40K miles, so it hurts a lot. Oops! It's a 2001, I goofed.
    Last edited by DaveMcKenz : 02/11/2009 at 06:02 AM

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN View Post

CANNIBALS!

LOL...That's funny,,, and no need for name calling. Some people that have a catastrophic failure lean towards the only way out is to fix it because they think it might not be worth anything "as is".. Candy from a baby?? Did I throw a price out there, or try low ball figure?? NO... I'm looking for a project VX with no motor and will give someone a fair price, and as cheap as VX's are out there with GOOD RUNNING motors they can add alittle more cash with my Fair offer and get another one without the hassle of replacing or having an engine replaced and guess what, two people are happy, a broken VX gets fixed and a homeless one gets an owner. And I don't need any parts I have all I need, just looking to resurrect a broken VX...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcKenz View Post
    Thanks guys for the encouragement. I'm trying to set this up via long distance since the car is with my son at University of Iowa. I will keep you posted and thanks again. I think I am looking at $5K installed rebuilt engine with 12/12 warranty. BTW my car is a sweet 2002 proton yellow w 40K miles, so it hurts a lot.
    2002 ??? Hmmm, I guess I missed that year's model.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    2002 ??? Hmmm, I guess I missed that year's model.
    Oops! I meant 2001. Edited.