Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Securing the spare tyre

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    "so I got it covered there, bub..."

I'm closer.

Are we heading down this path again???

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=Spare+Tire

BTW Bart, you never responded to my last post on that thread (Wazzup?)
    Ummm, uhhhh....no takers yet, it's still takin up space in my garage.

And maybe I am way off, but I think Melbourne is closer to the west coast, eh?

Bart

Jack,

I think you're totally correct about using the little spare with the oversized tires, but I'm talking about limping home if I had a blow-out. No highway driving, all back roads, and keeping the speed LOW. I would prefer to crawl home than leave my baby somewhere with a blown out shoe. If it really is that much of a problem maybe I need to rig up a mount inside so I can carry my full sized spare with me.

OR, maybe I'll do some major surgery on my garage door so I can keep the spare up top because I'm NOT leaving my baby outside over night.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    OR, maybe I'll do some major surgery on my garage door so I can keep the spare up top because I'm NOT leaving my baby outside over night.
    How close is it for Vicki to fit? Mine was seriously like under an inch to get clear. Is your tire not clearing the opening or just the door? In my case, I just tore down the top most piece of trim and replaced it with a thinnner piece. Now I just barely fit. But if you are just hitting the garage door while it is up, you might be able to adjust the tension on the door so it goes up just a little further.

Bart

"Melbourne is closer to the west coast"

Bart,

I can't even begin to describe how difficult it is to admit when you are right & I am wrong (ask Wifey). You are 8033 miles away and I'm 10173 miles away.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

"Melbourne is closer to the west coast"

Bart,

I can't even begin to describe how difficult it is to admit when you are right & I am wrong (ask Wifey). You are 8033 miles away and I'm 10173 miles away.

Man, you make me laugh.

Bart

Bart,

To tell you the truth I haven't checked it with the lift yet, but last year when I was getting ready for Moab I had the basket and spare on the roof and tried to pull into the garage, but I was about an inch too tall. I think that I was hitting the plastic "seal" at the top of the door, and could have switched it out with a smaller one, but after Ldub twisted my arm and MADE me put a lift on Vicki (actually he put the lift on her) in the parking lot of the Red Rock last year I have a feeling that I'll be WAY too tall now. Guess I'll have to gear her up and check.

One other option would be to deflate the tires so she squats down some. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to install a Hummer-like on board tire inflation system to get in and out of the garage.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Bart,

but after Ldub twisted my arm and MADE me put a lift on Vicki (actually he put the lift on her) in the parking lot of the Red Rock last year I have a feeling that I'll be WAY too tall now. Guess I'll have to gear her up and check.

One other option would be to deflate the tires so she squats down some. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to install a Hummer-like on board tire inflation system to get in and out of the garage.
    That's not EXACTLY how I remember it, but things WERE a little fuzzy that particular evening...

Have you got enough space above the door to raise the header & add another section of garage door?...

Mark, I only ask because you are lifted same as me (iirc) and I am pretty sure most garage door openings are a standard height, so I was just thinking that you may just fit with a little modding.

Bart

I just gotta warn you guys about a potential issue. My Jeep clears the garage door opening by 1/4"... until it snows! When I backed out and onto a snow covered driveway the Jeep raised up enough to relieve my home of a section of the trim above the door. SNAP!!! Be careful, I was using all roll cage to remodel that doorway! Had that happened with a spare on top of Zeus it would not have been pretty.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    i cant even begin to fit in my garage with my rack on...i BARELY fit with cross-bars...now, no way its gonna happen...so now the teg get the garage space and stitch is parked in front of the house...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    I just gotta warn you guys about a potential issue. My Jeep clears the garage door opening by 1/4"... until it snows! When I backed out and onto a snow covered driveway the Jeep raised up enough to relieve my home of a section of the trim above the door. SNAP!!! Be careful, I was using all roll cage to remodel that doorway! Had that happened with a spare on top of Zeus it would not have been pretty.
    Yeah, with how close mine is, I have to go super slow in and out. Like I said, my spare tire touches the retracted garage door every time I go in or out. If I go slow it just slightly rubs but with just a little speed it could catch and be more disasterous. I should make a video of it, it's kinda funny. Most people would just leave their 4x4 out in the driveway. But I say, "no way!"

Bart

Theoretically, you could still use it on the front since it's an open differential up there, but ... I wouldn't risk it.
    Manual says not to put the spare on the front. If you have a flat front tire, you must first swap the compact spare with a good tire on the rear. Then swap the flat with the good tire you removed from the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
    Manual says not to put the spare on the front. If you have a flat front tire, you must first swap the compact spare with a good tire on the rear. Then swap the flat with the good tire you removed from the rear.
    That's pretty much "protocol"; Porsche says the same...

One MORE reason to ditch the spare and carry a compressor, two cans of tire jiz, and a very good plug kit; oh, AND your AAA card and a cell phone!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
    That's assuming that you have stock size tires.
    Having the doughnut on the rear in this situation, is going to put undue wear on the clutch packs in the LSD...

Bottom line, even "limping it home" on the doughnut is gonna put the hurt on something...

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    That's assuming that you have stock size tires.
    Having the doughnut on the rear in this situation, is going to put undue wear on the clutch packs in the LSD...

Bottom line, even "limping it home" on the doughnut is gonna put the hurt on something...
    thats what i was trying to say mark...i just didnt know the specifics lol...