Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Securing the spare tyre

Securing the spare tyre

Hi folks,

Just settling into my new VX (thanks for the advice for the newbie) - got annoyed by the thunk from the back door and have realised that my spare tyre is just floating around in there (good thing I haven't been offroad). Can anyone describe (or better yet photograph) what the bracket and bolt looks like for securing the tyre, just so i know what I am looking for??

Cheers, Ross

G'day Ross,

Your spare tire should sit on a mounting plate. Then there is another circular plate that bolts over that to secure it. It's kind of hard to describe. If you can't figure it out, take a photo of your situation and post it. I removed all the "guts" from my tailgate since I have a full size spare that doesn't fit anyway, otherwise I would take some pics for you.

Hope you are well away from that nasty conflagration down there.

Bart

Aussie,

It sounds like you're missing the bolt/plate that holds the spare to the tail gate and the wheel is just flopping around back there. If no one gets to it before I do, I'll take some pictures of my spare and post them up later today.

Mark
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Yes, it is possible you are missing that circular plate. If so, let me know because I will send you mine, as long as you promise to help me if need to locate/ship some Aussie Falcon Coupe parts later down the road!

Bart

Hi aussie !
    I hope you & your beloved ones are OK with all the hell of fire is taking place over there.
    I guess you can be creative regarding the missing holding plate & screw.
    You can do some search around a warehouse & find a metal sheet (aluminium) flexible enough to cut it in a circular shape,drill a hole big enough & find a screw to fit the tread.
    Dakar was just the begining.

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    I had a big thump in the back kept thinking it was the wheel, weirdly enough it was the door hinge on the door it self, has 3 screws mine were all loose, causing the door to lock but to move around,
    tightened them up and was set to go again.

might be something you could check just incase.

Ross,

Here are some images of the spare tire area in the rear hatch. As you can see there is a large metal "flange" that is held in by a bolt. The flange sqeezes the spare tire between itself and the mount in the rear hatch.
    Hope this helps.

Spare mounted in rear door

Close up of flange and bolt

Flange and bolt

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Ross,

Here are some images of the spare tire area in the rear hatch. As you can see there is a large metal "flange" that is held in by a bolt. The flange sqeezes the spare tire between itself and the mount in the rear hatch.
    Hope this helps.

Spare mounted in rear door

Close up of flange and bolt

Flange and bolt
    hey mark, quick question...what are you keepin the stock spare in there for?? you know you cant use that with your oversized tires right???
    you keeping it there so you dont lose parts if you ever decide to sell?? (thats the only thing i can think of)
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    hey mark, quick question...what are you keepin the stock spare in there for?? you know you cant use that with your oversized tires right???
    you keeping it there so you dont lose parts if you ever decide to sell?? (thats the only thing i can think of)

Bart

First off, I will NEVER get rid of the VX. OK, never say never, but it would take a catastrophic event to force me to get rid of Vicki.

Between the bigger tires and the lift the VX won't fit in my garage with the basket and full size spare up top because the garage door is too short. I figure that while I'm in the Aspen valley I'm never really that far from home so having the dinky little spare to limp home on is better than nothing.

No comments from the peanut gallery Bart.

I've still got the brackets for my spare. Free to a good home, just pay shipping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Between the bigger tires and the lift the VX won't fit in my garage with the basket and full size spare up top because the garage door is too short.
    Yeah, I had the same problem with my garage. But in my case, it was a matter of about half an inch. So, I pulled the top most piece of trim from my garage door opening off and replaced it with a much thinner piece of wood. Now, my VX with spare just barely fits. Actually, every time I pull in the spare tire on the roof rack just nudges the retracted garage door.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I've still got the brackets for my spare. Free to a good home, just pay shipping.
    I have mine sitting here and ready to go to AussieVX, so I got it covered there, bub...

Bart

"so I got it covered there, bub..."

I'm closer.

Are we heading down this path again???

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ght=Spare+Tire

BTW Bart, you never responded to my last post on that thread (Wazzup?)
    Last edited by tom4bren : 02/13/2009 at 09:22 AM

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    First off, I will NEVER get rid of the VX. OK, never say never, but it would take a catastrophic event to force me to get rid of Vicki.

Between the bigger tires and the lift the VX won't fit in my garage with the basket and full size spare up top because the garage door is too short. I figure that while I'm in the Aspen valley I'm never really that far from home so having the dinky little spare to limp home on is better than nothing.

No comments from the peanut gallery Bart.
    someone correct me if im wrong, but once you get oversized tires you can use the factory spare at all....it will screw up your TOD, cause your x-case to overwork and overheat i believe...

Theoretically, you could still use it on the front since it's an open differential up there, but ... I wouldn't risk it.