Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Buyer Needs Advice

no worries... tom is an outcast too.. mostly because his tires are afraid of his wheel wells

but seriously very few of us hold grudges and they almost never come out on the forum... except in playful jabbing

yea i meant to say if it is more than 2/3 quart low its probably not been properly cared for

dont worry about little squeaks rattles groans etc the vx was hand assembled so these are often corrected by tightening a bolt or applying some grease

if you are unsure about something specific find a computer and search..or ask in a new or related thread.. you can usually get a response within an hour or two

& if you do have squeeks, rattles or groans - it's easily fixed by putting in a kick-arse stereo & painting your dash 'lectric blue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithVXlvr View Post
    Sorry, everybody. As I said, I am going to fly to inspect and pick up the VX. I was in need of input / advice ASAP. I have no expreince with Isuzu.

I have never been on a community posting 'board' and didn't even know if I was posting correctly... not in terms of community rules but, in terms of will anybody ever see this 'caus I do not know what I am doing.

I got lots of feedback on how I am doing it wrong, 'jacking threads" etc... , but ony 2 members (wisdon and mshardeman) actually responded with advice. All others simply scolded me like an 11 year old.
    Here's some good reading to get you up to speed on internet forum etiquette. There is much to learn, but it is mostly simple and self-explanatory. Most of us have been on forums for a while, so we know what is expected and what is not tolerated. The best thing for you to do is to read and see what the vibe is here. Don't do anything in a post that you haven't seen someone else do already.

The basic idea is that posts in a thread should stay on topic (i.e., your posts should be responses to the original post or posts after it). If you want to talk about something else, then start a new thread rather than go "off-topic" by "hijacking" a thread. Also, we (generally) do not "flame" each other (write hostile or insulting posts) - although it does happen on occasion (I'm a guilty party on that count...).

We are a friendly bunch here - most other forums are far less tolerant of "beginner mistakes" so don't despair.

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    yea i meant to say if it is more than 2/3 quart low its probably not been properly cared for
    That's a pretty harsh criterion there... I would be careful about jumping to any conclusions about how well it's been maintained because of a perfectly-acceptable dipstick reading.

Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ View Post
    That's a pretty harsh criterion there... I would be careful about jumping to any conclusions about how well it's been maintained because of a perfectly-acceptable dipstick reading.

the only time i would consider a vx only showing 1/3 quart of oil is if the owner was well aware of the level and even then i would be super cau... with an engine replacement cost around 4k out of pocket i wont take chances

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithVXlvr View Post
    Thanks, Tom4bren...

I fear I have become an outcast already.

You might want to ignore me or feel the wrath of the community.
    LOL...not even CLOSE, we try to get the new guys up to speed ASAP...

Think of it as a hazing, nobody around here is gonna remember anything in a few short weeks. (A fact which I'm thankful for, or I'd already have been banned... )

Many of us, (myself included) were just as "green" as you when we first joined this family, and all of our more seasoned siblings gave us the same "spankings" as you're getting...or worse...

Hang in there, make friends with the search function, & welcome to the Fam...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Fear not Kevin -
    Of course you must realize, we'll be calling you "Kevin" from now on...

You can thank Tom later...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    make friends with the search function
    I forgot to hammer on that! (Ldub and I are probably the biggest "search first" enforcers around here..)

Yes, always use the search function before asking questions - whatever you want to know has probably been covered already. It's a little slow to search and read through potentially dozens of pages, and it does not always produce good results, but that's how a forum is supposed to work... it's a repository of information. Please search the forums for what you are trying to find out, then post if you can't find what you are looking for.

Good luck!

"we'll be calling you "Kevin" from now on"

OOOPSS!!!

LBUD is rite - I mussed up.

Sorry Keith

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    "we'll be calling you "Kevin" from now on"

OOOPSS!!!

LBUD is rite - I mussed up.

Sorry Keith
    LOL...LBUD...yer KILLIN' me here...

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    keith....i think the issue was, we all read the same thing posted in like 15 or more threads....there was no necessity to post it that many times so it seemed like you were a computer animated thing (to me)....however, now that we know that your a real person and are reading what people are posting about your questions we are more than willing to help out a fellow vx'er...

anyhow, i think the other guys pretty much covered the basics....
    the only real issues with the VX is-
    burning oil
    windows not rolling up properly
    faded headlights

the second 2 can be fixed with a little R&R but if it burns oil really bad, then you have something to worry about...the oil in a VX should always be kept completely full.

anyhow, i apologize for being rude in other posts and even here... its just that we are all very friendly here (we even hang out in regular life, which doesnt happen much on other forums) so we have a tendency to get antzy when people insult our VX friends
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    LinQ no worQ...

[QUOTE=VehiGAZ;148643]I forgot to hammer on that! (Ldub and I are probably the biggest "search first" enforcers around here..) [QUOTE]

I always wanted to be known as a "search enforcement droid"...my dreams have now become true...

You all are being forgiving and I appreciate it very much. Thanks again. I'll get this figured out soon and you have gotten me up to speed ASAP.

I'll have the mechanic doing the inspection look for signs of buring oil.

I guess the owner's daughter had taken it off to college a while back - not a great sign of vehicle maintenece. She is working on her Masters degree so, maybe she is smart enough to take care of the car.

I think I saw tom4bren's VX on youtube..?? If that was his yellow ( proton?) VX then, yes his tires are afraid of the wheel wells. etlsport, I about fell out of my chair giggleing after that remark.

Anyway, I'll look out for the buring oil.. at about 50,000 how bad could it be?

We shall see, I hope to have it my possesion by the end of the month. Unless, of course, the mechaninc says something like this baby is burning oil and it hasn't been changed in about a year.
    Last edited by KeithVXlvr : 02/18/2009 at 10:22 AM