Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 1st Time Buyer Needs Advice

"yes his tires are afraid of the wheel wells. etlsport, I about fell out of my chair giggleing after that remark."

Them is fightin words bub - I think we'll go back to calling you Kevin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    "yes his tires are afraid of the wheel wells. etlsport, I about fell out of my chair giggleing after that remark."

Them is fightin words bub - I think we'll go back to calling you Kevin
    ...:laughr:......:laughr:

See...you're already getting a good natured ribbing from one of your older brothers...Kevin

"Kevin", priceless.
    Dosen't have a VX yet and already has a nickname. I can feel the love....

Oh, and just so I don't get scolded for threadjacking:
    Keith, make sure there is not too much oil in it either. That is a jab at myself for a newbie error I made last year. After hearing all the scary stories about oil burning, I wound up SEVERLY OVERFILLING my case, by 6 quarts
    I don't think you really need to look out for that when shopping for your VX, almost nobody would be THAT dumb
    Best of luck in your search!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

Sort of back on topic; I don't think that you'll really find evidence of the engine burning oil. Some of the engines have lost oil from day one, but other don't lose a drop. From what I understand it has something to do with the rings on our engines, and sometimes they don't seal as well as they should so the oil blows by them and gets burned during compression. The milage may have nothing to do with oil consumption. I bought mine with 35,000 miles on it and it was losing about a half quart of oil per tank (350 miles), and now it has 80,000 miles on it and it's still losing the same amount (no more, no less).

Replacing the PCV valve and cleaning the EGR and throttle body help with oil consumption until those things get gummed up again.

I think it's a great idea to have the mechanic look at it, but you'll still need to keep an eye on the oil level no matter what.

Good luck and post pictures when you get it. I say "when" because it's obvious that you've been bitten by the VX bug and now it's only a matter of time.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Sort of back on topic; I don't think that you'll really find evidence of the engine burning oil. Some of the engines have lost oil from day one, but other don't lose a drop. From what I understand it has something to do with the rings on our engines, and sometimes they don't seal as well as they should so the oil blows by them and gets burned during compression. The milage may have nothing to do with oil consumption. I bought mine with 35,000 miles on it and it was losing about a half quart of oil per tank (350 miles), and now it has 80,000 miles on it and it's still losing the same amount (no more, no less).

Replacing the PCV valve and cleaning the EGR and throttle body help with oil consumption until those things get gummed up again.

I think it's a great idea to have the mechanic look at it, but you'll still need to keep an eye on the oil level no matter what.

Good luck and post pictures when you get it. I say "when" because it's obvious that you've been bitten by the VX bug and now it's only a matter of time.

yea, thats pretty accurate, i normally burn 1 quart every 3k miles.. but the first 1-2k after an oil change i dont burn much.. then all of a sudden ill be 1/2 quart low after a tank.. thats when i know its time to clean or replace the PCV valve, i really dont show much sign of losing oil though.. no discolored exhaust, i do have a very slight film of soot around the oil filler cap, but its almost not even noticable.. tried replacing it twice.. hasnt worked.. so i just keep an eye out

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithVXlvr View Post
    You all are being forgiving and I appreciate it very much. Thanks again. I'll get this figured out soon and you have gotten me up to speed ASAP.

I'll have the mechanic doing the inspection look for signs of buring oil.

I guess the owner's daughter had taken it off to college a while back - not a great sign of vehicle maintenece. She is working on her Masters degree so, maybe she is smart enough to take care of the car.

I think I saw tom4bren's VX on youtube..?? If that was his yellow ( proton?) VX then, yes his tires are afraid of the wheel wells. etlsport, I about fell out of my chair giggleing after that remark.

Anyway, I'll look out for the buring oil.. at about 50,000 how bad could it be?

We shall see, I hope to have it my possesion by the end of the month. Unless, of course, the mechaninc says something like this baby is burning oil and it hasn't been changed in about a year.
    my first motor blew up at 76,000....from oil loss...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

VX Bug

Good luck and post pictures when you get it. I say "when" because it's obvious that you've been bitten by the VX bug and now it's only a matter of time.[/QUOTE]

And this VX Bug bite doesn,t have any vaccine keith so you better hang in there along with us.
    As how the gangs have their own initiation you already had yours
    Again,welcome to the addiction
    Dakar was just the begining.

"good natured ribbing from one of your older brothers"

Just for that 'old' joke - you ain't Lbud no more.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    "good natured ribbing from one of your older brothers"

Just for that 'old' joke - you ain't Lbud no more.
    That's OK...the Dude abides.

LOL...I wasn't calling you old... , last I checked, you're three years younger than I am. (my "little brother" is your age)

I was indicating that you've been in the fam a while, like a senior frat bro...

I'd rather be old than gooney-ed.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    I'd rather be old than gooney-ed.
    busted!!!