Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Buyer Needs Advice

1st Time Buyer Needs Advice

Hello all,

I am Keith from Portland, OR. Looking for a VX and think I have found one. Hopefully going to fly to it and check it out, then drive it home if all is well.

I have been told the drivers window is having some trouble -- no biggy as the fixes are easy and cheap. And there is a broken plastic rear cladding (Isuzu dealer has one here for @ $400.00.)

When I am looking at it, what are the big things to look out for??

Thanks, Keith

Great, welcome to the addiction. You will love it. Now open the last 4 duplicates, one at a time, then click on the edit button, bottom right corner, that will open your thread and then click on DELETE please. All new be's do that, well, maybe not Ldub but I sure did.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    this user has posted in every thread the same thing since he joined i believe....

automated??
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Great, welcome to the addiction. You will love it. Now open the last 4 duplicates, one at a time, then click on the edit button, bottom right corner, that will open your thread and then click on DELETE please. All new be's do that, well, maybe not Ldub but I sure did.
    LOL...as previously stated in a different thread, I've made most every noob mistake there is to make around here...all any of us can do, is try to improve...

Although I think our newest little buddy Kieth, has had about ENOUGH practice posting the same thing over & over & over & over & over...
    Last edited by Ldub : 02/15/2009 at 10:14 AM

I fixed it. The proper etiquette is to post once and wait for an answer. Although, I do understand your enthusiasm, multiple posts usually generate negative effects. Especially on this web site. */lashing over

Now, welcome to the site, here you will find more info than you'll ever want (Use the search) and more people that want to help if you ask. Good luck in your quest.
    Scott / moncha.com

How many used vehicles have you purchased? What years is it? How many miles on it? How many owners? If I was flying out to see a vehicle I would get carfax report first. If you get the vin# you could check here to see if the owner was a former member.

WISDOM,

I have never bough a used car since I was like 18.

Thanks for the input. The VX is a 2003 @ 50,000 miles. I ran a CarFax report and it has two previous owners, I'd be #3. The report was clean and the story I got from the seller matches purchase locations, milage etc that are on the report... just as he said.

I just thought from your expereince you could indicate what leaks to look out for etc.... I am planning to fly in to the sellers town and run it by an Isuzu mechanic for a quick inspection before trading cash and keys.

Just don't want it to blow up 4,00 miles after I buy it when it could have been avoided by simply looking at something I never thought about....

Thanks, Keith

PS: Thanks for the advice EVERYONE on the posting etiqite.. You will also notice me spelling is not too great.

WOW more Oregon VXs..hehe..looking like a NortWest meet soon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Quote Originally Posted by KeithVXlvr View Post
    WISDOM,

Thanks for the input. The VX is a 2003 .

2003 Is this Possible ?

Quote Originally Posted by WiSDoM View Post
    If you get the vin# you could check here to see if the owner was a former member.
    I'm not trying to thread jack , But exactly how do I use the Vin # too see if the owner was a former member ?

Quote Originally Posted by tjh View Post
    I'm not trying to thread jack , But exactly how do I use the Vin # too see if the owner was a former member ?
    From the home page click on:

Quick links

Member list

Search member list

Advanced search

Then scroll down to where it says "Year, Color, Model & Last 4 #'s in VIN:"

You'll figure out the rest...

Quote Originally Posted by KeithVXlvr View Post
    PS: Thanks for the advice EVERYONE on the posting etiqite.. You will also notice me spelling is not too great.
    Bad spelling we can handle...

Keith,

There are a lot of other people on here who are a lot more knowledgable on what to look for, but I'll give it a quick shot here.

First off, it's impossible to have a 2003 VX. They where imported into the US from 1999 to 2001. The only differences between the years is that the 1999 models have 16" rims and manual climate controls. The 2000/2001 models came with 18" rims and an "auto" mode on the climate control.

That being said the main thing to check is the oil level. Our engines tend to burn oil straight from the factory and you really need to stay on top of it. A few people here have blown their motors due to lack of oil. I check my oil EVERY time I get fuel, and many of us here will replace our PCV valves every, or every other, oil change.

I think I read that the VX you're looking at already has the window sticking problem. That's a pretty typical problem with all VX, and a member of the site has come up with a really great fix (I plan on buying it soon) that replaces the plastic window mount in the door with a metal one.

You can check to see if the shocks are in good shape, but those are easily replaced with some after market shocks. The original VX shocks are made by KYB and have a resivoir built onto them. They are expensive to replace with original ones, and can cost a few hundred dollars to rebuild so some members have replaced them with Rancho's.

I'm sure there are other things to check and hopefully some other members will chime in, or you'll find the information you are looking for using the search function. I haven't really had any issues with my VX (knock on wood) and I absolutely love it.

Welcome to the obsession.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Thank you Ldub. The search was fruitless . I'm trying at the moment to purchase a green dragon . I say trying because it is not in my possession yet . I'm waiting on the paper work to arrive . After that I'll be waiting for the shipping company to drop it off at my door .

Thank you Ldub. The search was fruitless.....
    That's why accurate info about you and your VX is so important. Also its important to make sur your title for your thread is accurate and not vague.

...After that I'll be waiting for the shipping company to drop it off at my door...
    Make sure that it's a shipping company that you choose. Always want to avoid seller's fraud.