Thread: Painted hood inserts

Painted hood inserts

I decided kinda reluctantly that the Ironman decal needed to go (I'm more of a Jelloman - I tried to trade my hood insert to the real Ironman: Triathlete, but he wouldn't go for it) so I repainted it last month. The results are:

The Alien Bat

Here's a brief how-to on what I did:
    I peeled the letters off, sanded the insert with 1000 wet dry and painted it with two coats of PPG Strong Black auto paint. The Ironman ghost came through again, so I had to resand and add another coat of black. I drew the bat image I wanted on the insert and airbrushed it with white PPG paint. Cleared twice with PPG clear coat and polished until it looks like black glass.

I saw a cool Calvin and Hobbes theme on someone's hood (Sorry I don't remember who!). I'm curious what else has been done?

Nice job!
    MODIFICATIONS:
    285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Steel braided brake calbes, K&N Air Filter, Window Tinting, Debadged, 3 inch lift, Custom boulder bars, Yakima Roof Rack w/ Iron Hoarse Cage, Pioneer DEH-P6000UB deck, and more to come (once the funds do).

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    I have a few ideas on what I would like to put on my hood.

But I was planning to to use a vinyl decal.. and not until I was able to procure a replacement IronMan decal so I can return it to stock if I ever desired to.

Are you saying that after you peeled the IronMan off that it was still visible? Uh oh... Maybe a change of plans here...
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

Cool Cool

Very
    NAVIGATOR

If anyone needs another Ironman sticker, my brother works at a vinyl shop and can make them. I will guarentee that its cheaper than Isuzu. It may not be exact but as close as humanly possible with the computer program they have.

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    I remember we discussed your brother before.

I am not doubting he can do it. I guess we would need a really good scan of the original. None of the IronMan logos that I saw on the IronMan site (even ones at Timex) were identical to what is on our hoods....

Well I have it on my hood and we can just take the dimensions from that