Thread: Coolant leak ?

Coolant leak ?

Ok, coolant leak is only really occuring when VX sits for over a day or so, overnight is ok, seems leak is real slow or a weep that takes time to get going. Is there any way to know if it is the wter pump???????Is there anything else it could be on front motor are cogered by plasatic cover?

Your leak sounds just like mine. It's a slow leak coming from either the water pump or the 'O' ring behind the engine.

I am going to do the timing belt and water pump maintenance this spring, and I hope it fixes the leak. If it doesn't, I will assume it is the 'O' ring. It is my understanding that the 'O' ring fix is difficult because the head has to be pulled and gasket replaced.

This leak is a slow seap that pools on top of the engine. If the VX sits, the coolant pools and dumps down onto the floor of your garage. You won't notice the leak as much when you are driving regularly because it drips down and blows off the bottom of your VX. I have had this leak for 2+ years. Keep your coolant overflow reservoir full and wipe up the mess when you see it until you have the time/money to get it fixed.

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    It's a slow leak coming from either the water pump or the 'O' ring behind the engine.

If it doesn't, I will assume it is the 'O' ring. It is my understanding that the 'O' ring fix is difficult because the head has to be pulled and gasket replaced.

Bart
    I'm sorry Bart, but in the intrest of accurate info, I'm gonna have to disagree with your post...

The intake manifold has to be removed to get to that "O" ring, not the heads.
    If you follow the upper radiator hose to it's origin under the intake manifold, you MAY be able to get a look at the thermostat housing...If you have a good flashlight, & are part contortionist...
    The back side of the t-stat housing is where the O-ring in question resides.

Now if you were talking about replacing the head gaskets, then yeah, they have to come off...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Now if you were talking about replacing the head gaskets, then yeah, they have to come off...
    Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry, I used the wrong terminology . The head gaskets is what I meant. Thanks, Dub.

Bart

I have found no evidence of leak on top of motor, appears to be behind plasitc fornt motor cover, black plastic with timing marks on it. So with that said, would that eliminate O ring possibility and limit to water pump?

Also, will pressure test determine origin? I am under waranty but want to be sure before I go to dealer and they try to scam me with all it is this adn it isn't covered bull**** I eem to always get read whild there.

Sounds like water pump to me too.

Don't waste you time/money on the pressure test. You've already mentioned that it is a 'weep' type leak and not a steady drip so the pressure test prolly won't show anything (IMHO).

Now for the big question: Is it time for a timing belt change. A lot of the work to replace the water pump is the same as for the timing belt change so it's usually recommended to do both at the same time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

only 45 K but yes I will do all at once as it is reco.