Thread: Taking the VX to an Off Roading Event !!!!

Taking the VX to an Off Roading Event !!!!

So i bought the VX 3 weeks ago and i am taking it off roading for the first time this weekend (first propper time for me too!) Its the reason i bought the car!

I have road tyres still which is a real pain which means the main questions are about recovery points. I want recovery ropes readily available and i have read other threads saying the transportation tie down eyes are safe to use?

I have 2 shakles that i can attach to the front eyes so i can have a rope ready and wrapped arount the spot lights, on the rear there is only one eye, can i tow from this?

I don't think they will recover me from the hook on the front incase it slips off?

I saw Little Beast has 2 hooks, can i replace them with bolted shackles instead??
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

i have used those two transportation points in the rear to pull stuck folks before.. they are holding up fine.. i would recommend that you only pull on those straight forward and back though.. as little sideways motion as possible

i use the front hook still but many do complain about it.. they arent welded to the frame or anything so it would be fairly easy to make a loop to go there.. but as far as i know. there arent any readily available for order

how much time do you have? a tow hitch with a D ring shackle in the receiver makes a fantastic tow point for the rear

The eye on the back is strong enough to pull a VX out of a tadpole pond
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    The eye on the back is strong enough to pull a VX out of a tadpole pond
    Now, how would YOU (and I) know THAT??

Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

i havent the faintest clue what you guys are talking about.. but man thats a nice lookin vx in that pic you just posted!

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    i havent the faintest clue what you guys are talking about.. but man thats a nice lookin vx in that pic you just posted!
    HAHAHAHA, that is great!

I have used the front two hooks on mine to pull a 4 door luxury sedan out of a huge ditch and they held up fine.

ive used my vx to tow a lot of vehicles.. ive used the front hooks to pull an Audi A4 out of about 7" of snow, no problems.. used them to pull a dodge caravan up a hill at low speeds.. used them to pull branches off a tree too.. also used them to have my vx pulled up a fairly steep snow covered hill (twice)

ive used the rear tow hooks to tow a jeep cherokee at low speed, to pull my vx out of a mud pit, and to pull a dodge intrepid nose down in a ditch perpendicular to the road up the hill.. never an issue

oh and there was a minor incident where my vx was pulled out of small pond by the rear tow points too..

So how did you get in that position, AIR DROP IT!!!!
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    So how did you get in that position, AIR DROP IT!!!!
    well we were out offroading.. and i decided to take my stock vx on a side trail where all the lifted VXs with us were too uneasy about taking.. my co-pilot ran ahead and scouted the trail for me and decided that i should be fine... but she forgot to look for a place to turn around.. so i had to try a 3 point turn on that little trail.. got a lil too close to the bank and slid down into the pond.. there was a decent sized drop off so i couldnt just reverse back up it.. tom, cstyles and cobrajet used a come-a-long anchored to a tree to get me some traction and back up onto the trail

got a lil too close to the bank and slid down into the pond..
    Looks about 4 foot to close. Who need's the glasses, her or you???

Sure am glad I don't go to MOAB, might get my butt kicked on that one