Thread: 265 / 275 or 285 width tyres ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

265 / 275 or 285 width tyres ??

Ok so i need to decide and can't, i've looked and the wheel and tyre thread a million times and don't know what to go for

Set up is-

OME 912 springs + torsion bar crank to match

16 x 9" wheels, with an aggressive -19 offset (might need fender extensions)

Or if they are too agressive, standard 16 x 7" wheels with 30mm spacers?

Any ideas anyone?? Looking to have a 75 tyre wall
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Oh These are my wheels ready for a re-firb

and i love these !!

The mass consensus of this august assembly is that you DON'T want my input on wheel/tire selection

I think that the majority would guide you to an 18" rim & stuff as much rubber on it as will fit nicely in the fender wells - but don't let it stick out too far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    The mass consensus of this august assembly is that you DON'T want my input on wheel/tire selection

I think that the majority would guide you to an 18" rim & stuff as much rubber on it as will fit nicely in the fender wells - but don't let it stick out too far.
    hahaha, yeah um to see how a negative offset looks on the VX look at tom4bren's gallery. My guess would be that Tom's offset is like -20 or so, no one really knows. Usually I like VX's stance the best with an offset around +15 +10mm offset, but that is just my personal opinion and should be taken just as such. I would definitely not go any smaller than the 285 width though no matter what you do, that would just look weird if you went any more narrow with that much tire sticking out.

CROTCHROCKET--- You didn't mention how tall O.D. of tire you wanted, nor if you wanted A/T or M/T. However, by the Photo's you included I would assume you are more interested in an aggressive M/T tire.

In addition, your replacement wheels of 16x9 are a bit wide having a width of 9", which is at the width spectrum end of a 285 series tire. You can easily go with a wider tire in the 295, 305, 315 series that also fit perfectly on a 9" wide rim.

Since the OEM tires on the VX only weighed 34 lbs, I also wanted to focus on the most "lightweight" versions of LT-series M/T tires in an effort to minimize the negative effects of unsprung weight on the VX launch, MPG, and braking distance. The specific tire brands/models were listed due to either their unique tire size or extreme lightweight. As you didn't mention desired O.D. height, I've listed the below tire sizes in O.D. groupings, in an effort to help you pinpoint your search:

32" O.D. TIRE:

A. LT285/70R16 (32" O.D./61 lbs) - TOYO "Open Country" M/T (size in M/T only).

33" O.D. TIRE:

B. LT285/75R16 (33" O.D./52 lbs) - Yokohama "Geolander M/T" (OWL).
    C. LT305/70R16 (33" O.D./57 lbs) - Yokohama "Geolander M/T".

33.5" O.D. TIRE:

D. LT295/75R16 (33.5" O.D./57 lbs) - TOYO "Open Country" A/T (size in A/T only).

35" O.D. TIRE:

E. LT315/75R16 (35" O.D./65 lbs) -Yokohama "Geolander M/T".

Conclusion--- What's my recommendation??? I would pick either "B", "C", or "E" above. The Yokohama Geolander M/T is a very aggressive looking "directional tread" tire and is also extremely lightweight for an M/T.

If you want OWL, then go with choice "B" which is also specific LEFT-SIDE and RIGHT-SIDE due to being both directional tread and outlined white letters (not interchangable side-to-side).

If you want standard Blackwall, then go with choice "C", as this is a wide 305 series tire that fits perfectly on the 9" wide rim and will give the VX a very mean-n-stout looking appearance while still being extremely lightweight at only 57 lbs each for a wide M/T.

If you want a tall-n-wide 35" O.D. tire, then go with choice "E". Yes; it is heavy at 65 lbs, but it is extremely lightweight when compared to any other 35" O.D. M/T tire on the market!!!

If you don't like any of the example tires I've suggested, then try to search for LT-series tires in either C or D "Load Range". Stay clear of all LT-series tires in E - Load Range, as E's are extremely heavy and well beyond practical tire weights for the small, sporty & agile VX. Riff Raff

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    just a note on the yoko geolandar....

when i bought my wrangler MTR's i talked to the guys at BIG O about the geolandar because i LOVE the way they look...but they told me that they are having a ton of people trying to return them or sell them.
    they claim they have bad tire wear issues, (they wear unevenly). so, just a heads up, do your research
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    CROTCHROCKET--- You didn't mention how tall O.D. of tire you wanted, nor if you wanted A/T or M/T. However, by the Photo's you included I would assume you are more interested in an aggressive M/T tire.

In addition, your replacement wheels of 16x9 are a bit wide having a width of 9", which is at the width spectrum end of a 285 series tire. You can easily go with a wider tire in the 295, 305, 315 series that also fit perfectly on a 9" wide rim.

Since the OEM tires on the VX only weighed 34 lbs, I also wanted to focus on the most "lightweight" versions of LT-series M/T tires in an effort to minimize the negative effects of unsprung weight on the VX launch, MPG, and braking distance. The specific tire brands/models were listed due to either their unique tire size or extreme lightweight. As you didn't mention desired O.D. height, I've listed the below tire sizes in O.D. groupings, in an effort to help you pinpoint your search:

32" O.D. TIRE:

A. LT285/70R16 (32" O.D./61 lbs) - TOYO "Open Country" M/T (size in M/T only).

33" O.D. TIRE:

B. LT285/75R16 (33" O.D./52 lbs) - Yokohama "Geolander M/T" (OWL).
    C. LT305/70R16 (33" O.D./57 lbs) - Yokohama "Geolander M/T".

33.5" O.D. TIRE:

D. LT295/75R16 (33.5" O.D./57 lbs) - TOYO "Open Country" A/T (size in A/T only).

35" O.D. TIRE:

E. LT315/75R16 (35" O.D./65 lbs) -Yokohama "Geolander M/T".

Conclusion--- What's my recommendation??? I would pick either "B", "C", or "E" above. The Yokohama Geolander M/T is a very aggressive looking "directional tread" tire and is also extremely lightweight for an M/T.

If you want OWL, then go with choice "B" which is also specific LEFT-SIDE and RIGHT-SIDE due to being both directional tread and outlined white letters (not interchangable side-to-side).

If you want standard Blackwall, then go with choice "C", as this is a wide 305 series tire that fits perfectly on the 9" wide rim and will give the VX a very mean-n-stout looking appearance while still being extremely lightweight at only 57 lbs each for a wide M/T.

If you want a tall-n-wide 35" O.D. tire, then go with choice "E". Yes; it is heavy at 65 lbs, but it is extremely lightweight when compared to any other 35" O.D. M/T tire on the market!!!

If you don't like any of the example tires I've suggested, then try to search for LT-series tires in either C or D "Load Range". Stay clear of all LT-series tires in E - Load Range, as E's are extremely heavy and well beyond practical tire weights for the small, sporty & agile VX. Riff Raff

Thank you for putting so much work into your answer!!!!!!

I am wanting around 32" diameter so that the ground clearance is better but the tyres aren't going to rub so much! Especially with just 2" lift. I'm guessing with a 2" lift i will struggle with 285 75 16 tyres?

If i use the standard 7" x 16" rims can i even use 285 tyres?
    If i can use the 9" wide rims can i fit anything smaller than 285 tyres?

I love the idea of the 305 tyres!! But just not sure they will fit? Anyone know? Basicaly what im getting at is i want the biggest tyres i can fit on a 2" lifted VX with 7" or 9" rims