Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
CROTCHROCKET--- You're welcome, glad to help. Thanks for the additional "link" to the other tire supplier which carries the awesome KUMHO - MT KL-71. I knew about this fantastic tire and was really dissappointed when your other tire "link" only had the older version KUMHO MT-834. That's why I orginally recommended the INSA - SPECIAL TRAK.

However, now that I know you can actually get the KUMHO - MT KL-71 in size LT285/75R16, then that tire mounted on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels is by far my #1 choice for you!!! Basically, option #5 (in your previous) thread.

You mentioned "lifting" your VX this weekend prior to fitting your new wheel/tire set-up. I believe you've got your priorities backwards in reverse order. It is always better to first "test-fit" your new wheel/tire set-up BEFORE doing any kind of body "lift". Why??? Because the new wheel/tire set-up will "dictate" exactly what is required to be modified to the VX in order to fit the larger tires. You may even discover that the new wheel/tire set-up fit on the stock VX without "lifting", or may just require a few minor cranks on the front torsion bar to be able to clear the front tires.

Remember, additional vehicle ground clearance can only be gained by larger O.D. tires, not "lifting". The only thing "lifting" does is allow larger O.D. tires to fit without rubbing. Like I said, if you mount your new tires on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, you may find that no "lift" is required at all. Maybe just some minor cladding trimming and/or possible torsion bar cranks. However, you won't actually know until the new wheel/tire set-up is "test-fitted" on your VX first!!!

There are many forms of "fitting" larger O.D. tires on the VX. Here they are in "graduated degree" order:

A. PERFECT FIT -- larger tires fit without any rubbing.

B. TRIMMING OF CLADDING REQUIRED -- larger tires fit with only minor front cladding trim.

C. FRONT TORSION BAR CRANK -- larger tires fit with minor front torsion bar crank and possible cladding trim.

D. FRONT TORSION BAR CRANK & OME 912 REAR SPRINGS -- larger tires fit only after major vehicle lift.

Thus; having said that, here is what I highly recommend and in the "sequence order" to be accomplished:

(1) Get the KUMHO - MT KL-71 tires in LT285/75R16 and mount them on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims.

(2) "Test-Fit" the wheel/tire set-up on the VX and determine if they rub or not.

(3) If wheel/tire set-up does rub; then take the bare minimal action required in order for the tires not to rub (as described above). Your very "last resort" should be a full body lift, only after all previous options have been utilized.

So, "hold-off" on the VX lift for now. Get the new KUMHO - MT KL-71 in LT285/75R16 and mount them on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, and then "test-fit" them on your VX and determine exactly what needs to be done (if anything). Who knows, the new Kumho's might fit like a glove with maybe only require a little cladding trim. The LT285/75R16 will fit just fine on the factory OEM Stock 16x7 rim without any problems.

Using any aftermarket wheel on the VX is the primary cause to rubbing and fitment issues. Remember, the true "secret" in preventing any tire rubbing issues is to mount your new tires on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, without spacers. The factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels have the proper OEM offset and backspacing that you will want to maintain to help keep the tires neatly tucked within the severly cramped front wheelwells; I can't stress that enough!!! Riff Raff
!