Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 265 / 275 or 285 width tyres ??

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    CROTCHROCKET--- You're welcome, glad to help. Thanks for the additional "link" to the other tire supplier which carries the awesome KUMHO - MT KL-71. I knew about this fantastic tire and was really dissappointed when your other tire "link" only had the older version KUMHO MT-834. That's why I orginally recommended the INSA - SPECIAL TRAK.

However, now that I know you can actually get the KUMHO - MT KL-71 in size LT285/75R16, then that tire mounted on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels is by far my #1 choice for you!!! Basically, option #5 (in your previous) thread.

You mentioned "lifting" your VX this weekend prior to fitting your new wheel/tire set-up. I believe you've got your priorities backwards in reverse order. It is always better to first "test-fit" your new wheel/tire set-up BEFORE doing any kind of body "lift". Why??? Because the new wheel/tire set-up will "dictate" exactly what is required to be modified to the VX in order to fit the larger tires. You may even discover that the new wheel/tire set-up fit on the stock VX without "lifting", or may just require a few minor cranks on the front torsion bar to be able to clear the front tires.

Remember, additional vehicle ground clearance can only be gained by larger O.D. tires, not "lifting". The only thing "lifting" does is allow larger O.D. tires to fit without rubbing. Like I said, if you mount your new tires on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, you may find that no "lift" is required at all. Maybe just some minor cladding trimming and/or possible torsion bar cranks. However, you won't actually know until the new wheel/tire set-up is "test-fitted" on your VX first!!!

There are many forms of "fitting" larger O.D. tires on the VX. Here they are in "graduated degree" order:

A. PERFECT FIT -- larger tires fit without any rubbing.

B. TRIMMING OF CLADDING REQUIRED -- larger tires fit with only minor front cladding trim.

C. FRONT TORSION BAR CRANK -- larger tires fit with minor front torsion bar crank and possible cladding trim.

D. FRONT TORSION BAR CRANK & OME 912 REAR SPRINGS -- larger tires fit only after major vehicle lift.

Thus; having said that, here is what I highly recommend and in the "sequence order" to be accomplished:

(1) Get the KUMHO - MT KL-71 tires in LT285/75R16 and mount them on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims.

(2) "Test-Fit" the wheel/tire set-up on the VX and determine if they rub or not.

(3) If wheel/tire set-up does rub; then take the bare minimal action required in order for the tires not to rub (as described above). Your very "last resort" should be a full body lift, only after all previous options have been utilized.

So, "hold-off" on the VX lift for now. Get the new KUMHO - MT KL-71 in LT285/75R16 and mount them on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, and then "test-fit" them on your VX and determine exactly what needs to be done (if anything). Who knows, the new Kumho's might fit like a glove with maybe only require a little cladding trim. The LT285/75R16 will fit just fine on the factory OEM Stock 16x7 rim without any problems.

Using any aftermarket wheel on the VX is the primary cause to rubbing and fitment issues. Remember, the true "secret" in preventing any tire rubbing issues is to mount your new tires on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 rims, without spacers. The factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels have the proper OEM offset and backspacing that you will want to maintain to help keep the tires neatly tucked within the severly cramped front wheelwells; I can't stress that enough!!! Riff Raff
    !

I know, sorry dude the tyre shop were un able to get the tyres by the weekend so i HAD to do the lift instead, i only get saturdays to my self and i need to have the VX off road capable by next sunday!!

I am not keen on using the standard wheels! so was thnking i'd get the tyres mounted to two of the new wheels, test them and if they are too big get the tyres put on the standard rims. I won't need spacers to fit these large tyres on the standard rims will i ?
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

CROTCHROCKET--- No, problem; I'm just glad you saw my original advice. I'm saddened you dislike the OEM 16x7 wheel, as I think it is quite elegant. In viewing the pictures in your latest thread with your eBay wheels, they look a bit "ghetto" in both appearance and offset (but I like wine sometimes, too-- so who am I to judge?). Ask your friends their opinion of beauty between your choices of wheels.

Yes, your new tires will fit perfect on your factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels if you desire to use them.

No, you will not need to use any kind of spacers with the OEM rims. By using the factory OEM Stock 16x7 wheels will negate the use of any spacers and the wheel/tire set-up will mount perfectly against the hub. Lastly; using spacers of any kind is highly NOT recommended, as they create more problems than any possible benefit and can be extremely dangerous under stress. Please don't use spacers of any kind. Rather, get the proper wheel with the proper offset and backspacing as opposed to using backspacers. Riff Raff

In case anyone searches for this in the future, i have gone for 265 75 16 tyres, reason being i was concerned about the extra diameter of a 285 tyre. It would throw the speedo out and put a fair amount of extra strain on the tranny etc. They would effectivly be 4" greater in diameter!, so at 60mph on the speedo i would be doing nearer 69mph !

Also, the 265 tyres are going to sit nicely under the arches with an OME 912 lift without too much cladding trimming, meaning i don't have to jack up the front more than 2" causing CV boot ware aswell,

Thanks for all the help !

Just thought I'd "bump" this thread up again for the specific benefit of "HAGGISGOOD".

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Just thought I'd "bump" this thread up again for the specific benefit of "HAGGISGOOD".
    x2

Crotch, I'm sure you have my specs already, but I am running 16" rims with a 0 offset and 265s. I only had to trim a little and pound in the corners behind the front wheel wells. If you go bigger you will probably have to chop off more and pound more.

Bart

Thank you Riff Raff for the info.. Your advice in this topic is second to none!
    That said.. its a Calmini kit for me and prob the 305/70/16 Geolander M/T.
    $194 is not bad and the tire does look great. I have been on quite a few sites and read various reviews regarding these tires. Wear seems to be the #1 issue.
    So, that said, will I have to trim the front w/ these tires or will the torsion crank be enough?
    Guess I am wrong to think a 3" lift lifts the vehicle.. ( I knew a body lift did nothing but thought the suspension did)...
    So in all reality, I would only be gaining about 2" or so of clearance??

Thanks again Riff Raff!
    Our members surely appreciate the time & effort you put into your posts!

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Ive gone with 265/75/16 on a 0 offset wheel same as crotch and nfpgasmask.

Time to fit on friday or 2mrw

265/75/16 for me ........just like the gas man and the that JDM guy....lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Without the risk of sounding stupid, what is the “off-set” on wheels? I’m looking at replacing my tires and rims and would like the “fat” look. You know, when the wheels kinda stick out a little. Any suggestions on wheel types (off-set) and tires sizes?
    I have a 99 VX on 16’s and no lift at the moment, but will crank up the front 2” and do the same lift on the rear. Will only be used on the street and very mild off road.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hellomoto View Post
    Without the risk of sounding stupid, what is the “off-set” on wheels? I’m looking at replacing my tires and rims and would like the “fat” look. You know, when the wheels kinda stick out a little. Any suggestions on wheel types (off-set) and tires sizes?
    I have a 99 VX on 16’s and no lift at the moment, but will crank up the front 2” and do the same lift on the rear. Will only be used on the street and very mild off road.
    Thanks
    As far as I understand it, "offset" is the position of the mounting point of the wheel. If you find a wheel with a 0 (zero) offset, then the center of the wheel will be right in the middle. My wheels are a 0 offset. Back-spacing is the amount of space behind the mounting point. Backspacing can come into play with the look as well as clearance for calipers and such.

Bart

Thanks for your help. That kinda makes sense. So what i need are "negative" offset wheels but not too much as to interfere with the brake calipers etc. If anyone could recommend the type, make, offset i’m looking for it would be greatly appreciated.
    I will probably be looking at the steel rims in black.

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Thanks for your help. That kinda makes sense. So what i need are "negative" offset wheels but not too much as to interfere with the brake calipers etc. If anyone could recommend the type, make, offset i’m looking for it would be greatly appreciated.
    Check out this thread
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...t=14685&page=9

Alot of people seem to have either Anything ranging from +20 offset and below.

Have a look through thread
    Lots of the pics have the offset written under them.

Steel rims; 16" diameter, 8" width and 0 offset....done