Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: its so tempting to blow this money /rant

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    [QUOTE=pbkid;150291] or maybe underneath the VX in the rear....[QUOTE]

ROCK...psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    ya, thats the temptation to put it elsewhere...

i really like the idea of the roof rack. just worried about how the elements will affect it?? (extreme heat and extreme cold on a BLACK compressed air tank??)

hey, by the way, from you guys who know more about this stuff than me...what am i gonna need to get to make this thing usable??

some sort of air nipple? and air hose?? is that it? is the nipple gonna be different for putting air in than taking air out??
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

i havent really looked at the dimensions of it, but i remember looking at that a while ago and thinking hmmm i wonder if this will fit inside the rear bumper cage.. or inside the rear cladding somewhere.. theres soo much room in there, then all you would need is a hose/valve of some sort to be able to access it

i would just worry about what would happen if i get rear ended lol....BOOM!!!

you would just have to run a fill and drain hose to somewhere accessable....

am i going to need a fill and a drain?? or can they use the same nipple??

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    i would just worry about what would happen if i get rear ended lol....BOOM!!!

you would just have to run a fill and drain hose to somewhere accessable....

am i going to need a fill and a drain?? or can they use the same nipple??
    One of the main drawbacks of mounting a compressed air tank, in an out of the way place, is the fact that compressed air has moisture in it, LOTS of moisture.
    There SHOULD be a drain petcock located on the bottom of any compressed air tank for draining out the water that accumulates on the inside as condensation, which would be somewhat difficult to access, if mounted in a hidden loca.
    Otherwise it will eventually rust through...
    That's why many aftermarket sources of compressed gasses are CO2.
    I personally like a 50 cf scuba bottle, since I can press it into service in another hobby...scuba air has VERY little moisture in it.
    But I will say, carrying around a miniature , pressurized to 3000 psi in the back of your ride, is NOT an option that everyone should entertain.
    Don't tailgate the dub, it's comin' your way...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    One of the main drawbacks of mounting a compressed air tank, in an out of the way place, is the fact that compressed air has moisture in it, LOTS of moisture.
    There SHOULD be a drain petcock located on the bottom of any compressed air tank for draining out the water that accumulates on the inside as condensation, which would be somewhat difficult to access, if mounted in a hidden loca.
    I personally like a 50 cf scuba bottle, since I can press it into service in another hobby...scuba air has VERY little moisture in it.
    But I will say, carrying around a miniature , pressurized to 3000 psi in the back of your ride, is NOT an option that everyone should entertain.
    I am with LDUB, I got a 10lb CO2 rig with hose and chuck for less than 200, it will fit behind the seat on the floor, and it can still reach all 4 tires. It can air up about 40 35" tires from empty to full on one tank and run some small air tools. Way better than air, and CO2 does have a lot less moisture which means less corrosion on your wheels...
    Last edited by Marlin : 03/06/2009 at 12:06 PM

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

well thanks for telling me once the air tank was already shipped

ok, so mounting it in a hidden place probably isnt the way to go...

what about on the back of my roof rack?? how would a black pressurized air tank do in extreme heat (moab) and in extreme colorado cold (around 0)???

But I will say, carrying around a miniature , pressurized to 3000 psi in the back of your ride, is NOT an option that everyone should entertain. Don't tailgate the dub, it's comin' your way...
    Yeah, thanks for the reminder, Dub. I should remove mine again. It's just not a great idea to carry it back there 24/7. I only need it during wheeling trips, so I could do without the extra weight/hazard day to day.

But anyway, this is where I keep mine:

I can pull it out super easy and walk it around to all 4 tires and be aired up in under 5 minutes with no problem.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Yeah, thanks for the reminder, Dub. I should remove mine again. It's just not a great idea to carry it back there 24/7. I only need it during wheeling trips, so I could do without the extra weight/hazard day to day.

But anyway, this is where I keep mine:

I can pull it out super easy and walk it around to all 4 tires and be aired up in under 5 minutes with no problem.

Bart
    I took your advice and also got the trailhead deflators, they came yesterday, very cool gadget.