Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Death of an old friend

Ouch!

Now you have an excuse to go carbon fiber.

John C.

Well here she is...my new steed!:bgwg:

Thanks to a great sponsorship (TriSports.com)my wallet is far less lighter than it could of been (though it is still quite a bit lighter).
    The old bike only sustained frame damage. All the components appear to be unscathed. I will be selling the old bikes components to offset the new bike (I still need to get race wheels).
    As far as preventing it from happening again...two things:
    1. I am going to hang the old frame in view in the garage so that I will see it and remember what could happen
    2. I will try to incorprate a reciever hitch into the new bumpers so I can use a hitch mount carrier.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    i really think it would be easier to mount a little sensor that when you get close some sort of buzzer would go off...

they have those proximity lasers...might be cheaper than the hitch, and the possibility of backing into something with the low-visibilty VX...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Hahahaha, I'm sorry Billy. But man, you gotta laugh at that one too. It happens to ALL of us at some point in time. I did something very similar years ago and felt like a complete moron since all my neighbors were on hand to witness it. As utterly embarrassed and pissed as I was, it took about 20 mins for me to turn it all around into laughter.

Look at the bright side.... time to "upgrade" the damaged goods.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Nice Felt Billy. She looks like a wind slicing weapon of competition destruction. Have you taken her out yet? Is she carbon?
    Have fun getting to know your new ride. I'm sure you'll ride MANY miles together.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    But not to worry my dad can fix that he is a TV repairman he has a wicked set of tools.
    Nothing a little bit of Mighty Putty won't fix! (Warning - R-rated language, Don't play this at work.)
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Nice Felt Billy. She looks like a wind slicing weapon of competition destruction. Have you taken her out yet? Is she carbon?
    Have fun getting to know your new ride. I'm sure you'll ride MANY miles together.
    Yep, all carbon. I have done 2 rides on it and it is fast! A 30 mile route I train on a lot went by 5 minutes faster!

Excellent Billy. Nothing like shaving minutes off of your total time. When you get the racing wheels you and the Felt will be unstoppable!

Until a couple of years ago I was a devout mountain biker, but decided to get a road bike so I could train my legs for endurance (plus it is easier to just jump on the road instead of packing for an OFFroad trip). I never thought much of road biking until I threw a leg over one. HOLY COW those things are efficient and FAST. I ended up buying a full carbon Kestrel Talon (with aero tubes, but not a full tri bike) and I LOVE that bike. I'm always amazed at how fast and far I go without even thinking about it. I don't put nearly as many miles on it as I would like, but the miles that I do put on it are a lot of fun.

Whoops !!

I did that with my bike on top my Honda Civic back in 1995...... It happens,.... so far only once !!! Nice new bike.

circmand, nice reference !!

Sorry for your loss. Here's a really simple and inexpensive idea: Get a good sized custom-made decal at a sign shop made in bright colored "reflective 3M vinyl" (the same reflective tape material used on semi-trailers) and stick it at the lowest part of the garage door eve. The reflective decal would simply say: BIKE ???

Remember to stick the reflective decal to the lowest part of the garage "eve" (not the garage door itself), so the decal doesn't disappear when the garage door is raised with the garage door opener. Get the decal made in "reflective 3M vinyl"; so if you come home at night, your headlights will illuminate the reminder decal.