Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DONE!! '02 AXIOM engine switch works!!

DONE!! '02 AXIOM engine switch works!!

(I hope it's ok with everyone to start a new thread for the completion)

ALL done and it runs GREAT!!

Spent two days trying to get the AXIOM intake to work with the VX ECM but alas, kept throwing so many codes had to splice into wires... was a nightmare... no go... Spent several hours trying to get the Axiom ECM to work with the the whole VX, but different connectors and the TOD wouldn't work either so absolutely no go... so I guess I'm getting the 215 HP as the Axiom had 230 HP but I think, if I've researched right, it's because of the intake that it had 230. The VX intake bolted right up to the Axiom engine... no difference there. It runs awesome... seems way faster off the line... All in all... problem solved, dispute (if any) solved, hopefully oil consumption problem solved. I'll be keeping my eye on the oil... and let y'all know if there's any problems... if anyone blows a VX engine... go get a used '02 Axiom engine to replace it!! they can be had from about $1200 up to $2500... I got lucky and paid $500 for mine... but after all incidentals, fluids, gaskets, yada,yada, cost me $1100. R&R of engine(s): $1600 (paid for the extra time to work with the ECM's seperately so that doesn't count for the R&R)
    We sit together, my VX and I, until only the VX remains.
    --Iamironman

One other thing... I buried the needle this evening... and after I hit 100mph, the TOD showed all lights on... like I was doing 4 wheel drive at WELL over 100 MPH...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Sounds awesome, but wait, everything is running, but you are saying the ECM and TOD don't work at all now or did you figure it out?

Very cool news. Can you post pics of what it looks like under your hood now?

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Sounds awesome, but wait, everything is running, but you are saying the ECM and TOD don't work at all now or did you figure it out?

Very cool news. Can you post pics of what it looks like under your hood now?

Bart
    No, the VX ECM would not work with the AXIOM intake, multitude of problems... it works fine with the VX intake... and TOD would not work with the AXIOM ECM, but hardly anything else would work either, it would start up with the AXIOM ECM but as soon as you hit the throttle it would choke sputter and stall then you couldn't restart it unless you disconnected the battery and reset the ECM.

I'll post pics soon.

Thats awesome! got pics/vids?

Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post
    (I hope it's ok with everyone to start a new thread for the completion)

ALL done and it runs GREAT!!

Spent two days trying to get the AXIOM intake to work with the VX ECM but alas, kept throwing so many codes had to splice into wires... was a nightmare... no go... Spent several hours trying to get the Axiom ECM to work with the the whole VX, but different connectors and the TOD wouldn't work either so absolutely no go... so I guess I'm getting the 215 HP as the Axiom had 230 HP but I think, if I've researched right, it's because of the intake that it had 230. The VX intake bolted right up to the Axiom engine... no difference there. It runs awesome... seems way faster off the line... All in all... problem solved, dispute (if any) solved, hopefully oil consumption problem solved. I'll be keeping my eye on the oil... and let y'all know if there's any problems... if anyone blows a VX engine... go get a used '02 Axiom engine to replace it!! they can be had from about $1200 up to $2500... I got lucky and paid $500 for mine... but after all incidentals, fluids, gaskets, yada,yada, cost me $1100. R&R of engine(s): $1600 (paid for the extra time to work with the ECM's seperately so that doesn't count for the R&R)

Oh man that's good,good news,as i always thought the axiom engine can work,of course the ECU & the axiom TOD is unmatcheable but the engine it self is 100% compatible.

Congrats on the good job
    Dakar was just the begining.

Interesting! So you have an Axiom motor with a VX intake and ECM, correct? Would love to hear about some mileage readings when you get time!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Very Nice!!! You got a rock solid engine at an UNBEATABLE price.

Mark

Nicely done! Yeah, the Axiom ECU is very different. Doesn’t the Axiom have an electronic throttle that the ECU controls? That’s probably why you were having trouble with the Axiom intake.

Again, Very cool!
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    One other thing... I buried the needle this evening... and after I hit 100mph, the TOD showed all lights on... like I was doing 4 wheel drive at WELL over 100 MPH...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
    shouldnt you break it in before you bury the needle??

great news though!!!
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

GOOD ON YOU, IAMIRONMAN!...

Congrats on being the first!.........

Do tell...with the Ax being DI, is it no longer direct injected, because you used the stock intake? Since the injectors are an integral part of the stock intake?
    Inquiring minds wanna know...

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Interesting! So you have an Axiom motor with a VX intake and ECM, correct? Would love to hear about some mileage readings when you get time!
    Will post them as soon as available!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    Nicely done! Yeah, the Axiom ECU is very different. Doesn’t the Axiom have an electronic throttle that the ECU controls? That’s probably why you were having trouble with the Axiom intake.

Again, Very cool!
    That was probably most of the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    shouldnt you break it in before you bury the needle??

great news though!!!
    It's a used engine...from a wrecked Axiom with 55k or maybe a little more... don't remember exactly, But I believe it's broke in already, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Oh man that's good,good news,as i always thought the axiom engine can work,of course the ECU & the axiom TOD is unmatcheable but the engine it self is 100% compatible.

Congrats on the good job
    Thanks Gussie... keep the faith!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    GOOD ON YOU, IAMIRONMAN!...

Congrats on being the first!.........

Do tell...with the Ax being DI, is it no longer direct injected, because you used the stock intake? Since the injectors are an integral part of the stock intake?
    Inquiring minds wanna know...
    Thanks LDub.
    Yes, it is no longer direct injected...
    Ok... Bottom line... it's the whole topside of the VX engine on the Axiom block and heads... intake, TB, just about everything from the heads up to the underside of the hood... I even had to use the valve covers from the VX engine, as the Axiom valve covers were shaped just slightly different and stuff wouldn't fit with the Axiom valve covers on.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Thanks LDub.
    Yes, it is no longer direct injected...
    Ok... Bottom line... it's the whole topside of the VX engine on the Axiom block and heads... intake, TB, just about everything from the heads up to the underside of the hood... I even had to use the valve covers from the VX engine, as the Axiom valve covers were shaped just slightly different and stuff wouldn't fit with the Axiom valve covers on.
    OK, was a bit curious...that'll certainly have an effect on HP & mileage...but still, this should be a sweet setup!

What you gonna do with the old ticker?

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    OK, was a bit curious...that'll certainly have an effect on HP & mileage...but still, this should be a sweet setup!

What you gonna do with the old ticker?
    With as bad as the oil consumption was, and it was BAAAD, I was putting a quart in almost every week... I'm not doing anything with it... scrap it!! Unless you can think of something to do with it?... LOL

excuse the OT for a sec...

A stock tip for anyone interested... Symbol TNRI... it's getting ready to run... I have 2.5 million shares of it... expected to hit .01 within a month... yes thats one penny... if it hits that... I'll have a cool $25,000.... it's @ .0002 right now... that's 2/1000th's of a penny... it's a gold mining company... Do your due diligence and research and buy some... a spare $200 (for a million shares) of mad money could net you $10,000