Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CD is toast....need to get cubby box

CD is toast....need to get cubby box

Well my OEM CD player has now officially joined the ranks of the dead...the dreaded ERR3 code. Only thing lucky about it was I never was able to get a disc in it, so none lost. As I was playing with it, the 1-6 lights would sequentially light and now it does that AND beeps a few times after I start the car....so it's GOT to go!

BUT, I bought a nice Eclipse HU with a CD player so I don't even care! I want to yank the dead player and get the "Cubby Box" I've seen referenced in some past threads....yes I ALWAYS do a diligent search before I post a question. .

Just want to confirm what that cubby box looks like.
    On Isuzuparts.com, I think it's part #7 under "Instrument panel , Instrument panel components ,Storage box".

I found a pic in NocturnalVX's gallery of a cubby box....anybody know if that's the "OEM" one or a custom?
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/da...d_pics_010.jpg

Cyronman said he bought one in a 1/17/07 post. Does it look like pic above?

I want to put my iPod & connection there, like nocturnal did.

It's too late to reach Merlin tonight. Anybody know?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Can't answer your question exactly KAT, but I will say that the one I got at Best Buy fit with some modifications. (Generic single DIN)
    I had to drill holes in the stock metal CD player mounting brackets to get the angle right.
    Also, the cubby from a Rodeo, or Honda Passport (both same dash as VX) should work, if you can find one in a salvage yard.

as ldub said, ive pulled like 3-4 from rodeos with a dashboard that matches ours (95.5-97 i think) they already have mounting brackets molded onto them, id try a salvage yard.. i think i paid 5 bucks a pop for them

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    i bet you could even find a spare online from a junkyard parts website...anyone know of any off hand??

and i believe it would be about 10 at merlin's place, so i would guess they are closed.

and yes, a generic single din pocket should fit in that slot with minimal modification
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

VX KAT--- Have you ever considered putting a Ford Taurus "Coin-Holder/Drink-Holder" in the same spot where the 6-Disc changer used to be??? Many VX'ers here have done this mod. MARLIN just did this mod to his VX and said it fits purrrrrrrr-fectly (sorry, just had to "KAT").

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I found a pic in NocturnalVX's gallery of a cubby box....anybody know if that's the "OEM" one or a custom?
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/da...d_pics_010.jpg

Cyronman said he bought one in a 1/17/07 post. Does it look like pic above?

I want to put my iPod & connection there, like nocturnal did.

It's too late to reach Merlin tonight. Anybody know?
    Yes, it is a genuine Isuzu part that I got that from Merlin. I'm sure he can hook you up as well.
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

KAT,

This will work and it's dirt cheap:

http://www.thebettersource.com/produ...roduct_id=1585

This is what I used.

Bart

I just got off the phone with Merlin, and it looks like you should go with Bart's recomendation. The ISUZU part (which was for the '95.5 - '97 Rodeo) has been discontinued. Unless you luck out and find one at a bone yard, the multi fit pocket will be the way to go. Plus, it is almost $2 cheaper.

Thanks so much guys! Wow, you're all great!
    Bart, did you have to modify yours at all to get it to fit right? Remember, I'm not handy, thus the "I'm with stupid logo":yesp:
    I found one at Allhundaiisuzu in Rancho Cordova..$20 + $15 shipping! OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Thanks so much guys! Wow, you're all great!
    Bart, did you have to modify yours at all to get it to fit right? Remember, I'm not handy, thus the "I'm with stupid logo":yesp:
    Not that I remember. It comes with little adjustable brackets so you have line those up. I think it fit rather nicely. It was like 3 years ago when I put mine in though, so....

Yeah, The Better Source is in Chicago, I lived there at the time and just went to their shop and bought it. I think it was like $7 then!!! Damn inflation!

Bart

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    go to any electronics store that sells car audio stuff (best buy for example) and buy a 'generic single din pocket'...thats all that is...then you save the shipping money...

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    go to any electronics store that sells car audio stuff (best buy for example) and buy a 'generic single din pocket'...thats all that is...then you save the shipping money...
    Yup, you're probably right. This is just a standard DIN cubby, should be easy to find. Like I said, this place was right down the street for me at the time, so...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    KAT,

This will work and it's dirt cheap:

http://www.thebettersource.com/produ...roduct_id=1585

This is what I used.

Bart
    I used this same pocket on mine... the mounting holes didn't exactly match up with the brackets, but I was able to get in 1 screw on each side and it fits SNUG in place. also it sits further back so I used the really thick included face plate... the pock's face plate actually sits BEHIND the dash trim and fills the gap... but it looks OEM once it's done and feels solid so I'm happy.

I picked mine up for $2 at Circuit City during their going out of business sale. I bought a bunch of car stereo parts because they were all dirt cheap and I figured "I'll probably use this eventually"... little did I know I would be swapping out the VX's stereo 2 weeks later

I bought the single din cup holder coin tray for 30.00 on fleabay, gonna pull my cubby soon and install.. dont throw away your cd mounts

CD replacement

All thumbs and tone deaf. What is the simplest CD swap out replacement for an ERR 3 replacement on the CD? I do not need to be heard 3 blocks a way and I do not need to be able to set up a 3 week play list. A one disc CD would be okay if it was pull out and replace. Also any directions would be great.