Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Os' VX: The Arrivaling

Os' VX: The Arrivaling

After purchasing the Proton on ebay, and tracking my her from NY to FL on the DAS auto shipper website, I finally took possession today. Cut out of work early, caught the Tri-Rail (another first for me!) from MIA to Fort Lauderdale Air Port, taxi the last few miles, and arrived at DAS' drop off point:

And spotting her in the lot:

What a painless process: show ID, inspect, sign and drive. We are headed home:

What a fantastic start! My first four wheel drive ever, my first truck/SUV ever, hell I haven't had more than 140hp since 1990. I am so not used to sitting up so high in traffic, so not used to the ready power.

The seller of course left her nearly empty (no surprise) which gave me my first opportunity to fill her up, check the oil, and set the trip meter. I was suprised that there was no tag on the VX at all, not even a dealer temp tag. I drove it home bare, worrying all the way about getting pulled over. Tomorrow I will remedy that.

As the seller made clear, the right front bumper and lower right front signal are damaged, but those parts are in route. The backseat is also missing, but VX KAT and I are working to resolve that to our mutual benefit. She has agreed to give it to me in exchange for my heartfelt appreciation. And some cash.

I bought this site unseen, and I am happy, or rather relieved, with the result, but one can't expect perfection, and there are a few minor issues about which I was not aware:
    - The PO jacked the emergency handle, I guess it wore badly or something, cause he appears to have taken a dull carving knife to the rubber/plastic coating of the handle, stripped it part way down, and stuck on a really ugly aftermarket fake CF (and not a good fake) handle. But only the top half of the handle, so it comes off easy, and the bottom is raw cut plastic/rubber.
    - He also appears to have drilled a hole in one of the bevel switches, the right most switch of the row of three located to the right of the steering wheel. I am looking at the manual, and I can't tell what the switch was for. Anway, drilled a big hole in it, stuffed some rubbery material arond the raw edges, looks like some kind of wire was supposed to go in there.
    - The rocker switch right next to it has a very tiny led light cover on it, is that stock? Looks modded.
    - There is an insulated wire, curly like a telephone cord, sticking out of the front of the head liner just above the rear view mirror, it leads down to the mirror bracket, and .. I can't tell what it does then. Did not have time to investigate, have to go re check it.
    - Whatever is supposed to be to the right of the cig lighter is missing. Just a rectangular hole with a bracket, looks like it was supposed to be a coin holder or something?
    - Tires are nearing the end of their safe service life.
    - Passenger side winshield squirter does not squirt. I will have to check the squirting equipment for maximum squirtyness.

Tomorrow: Florida registration and tag
    Thursday: Oil and PCV change

- Os

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Osteomata View Post
    After purchasing the Proton on ebay, and tracking my her from NY to FL on the DAS auto shipper website, I finally took possession today. Cut out of work early, caught the Tri-Rail (another first for me!) from MIA to Fort Lauderdale Air Port, taxi the last few miles, and arrived at DAS' drop off point:

What a fantastic start! My first four wheel drive ever, my first truck/SUV ever, hell I haven't had more than 140hp since 1990. I am so not used to sitting up so high in traffic, so not used to the ready power.

The seller of course left her nearly empty (no surprise) which gave me my first opportunity to fill her up, check the oil, and set the trip meter. I was suprised that there was no tag on the VX at all, not even a dealer temp tag. I drove it home bare, worrying all the way about getting pulled over. Tomorrow I will remedy that.

As the seller made clear, the right front bumper and lower right front signal are damaged, but those parts are in route. The backseat is also missing, but VX KAT and I are working to resolve that to our mutual benefit. She has agreed to give it to me in exchange for my heartfelt appreciation. And some cash.

I bought this site unseen, and I am happy, or rather relieved, with the result, but one can't expect perfection, and there are a few minor issues about which I was not aware:
    - The PO jacked the emergency handle, I guess it wore badly or something, cause he appears to have taken a dull carving knife to the rubber/plastic coating of the handle, stripped it part way down, and stuck on a really ugly aftermarket fake CF (and not a good fake) handle. But only the top half of the handle, so it comes off easy, and the bottom is raw cut plastic/rubber.
    - He also appears to have drilled a hole in one of the bevel switches, the right most switch of the row of three located to the right of the steering wheel. I am looking at the manual, and I can't tell what the switch was for. Anway, drilled a big hole in it, stuffed some rubbery material arond the raw edges, looks like some kind of wire was supposed to go in there.
    - The rocker switch right next to it has a very tiny led light cover on it, is that stock? Looks modded.
    - There is an insulated wire, curly like a telephone cord, sticking out of the front of the head liner just above the rear view mirror, it leads down to the mirror bracket, and .. I can't tell what it does then. Did not have time to investigate, have to go re check it.
    - Whatever is supposed to be to the right of the cig lighter is missing. Just a rectangular hole with a bracket, looks like it was supposed to be a coin holder or something?
    - Passenger side winshield squirter does not squirt. I will have to check the squirting equipment for maximum squirtyness.

- Os

congrats!!!!! glad that you finally got your new baby, now pamper her

not sure about the rest of the stuff your refering to (pictures would help) but the telephone cord thingy, is plugged into the rear view mirror (or should be) to power the dome lights that are built into the mirror...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

congratulations! I remember the day I got mine, not long ago. I believe the telephone looking wire powers the lights at the bottom of the rear view mirror, their are two switches on the mirror.

Very cool! You are now an official VXer.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Man oh man, does that bring back memories. I bought me, sight unseen (3 photos) from a dealer in Virgina and had it shipped to Washington State. Tracked it like you and was thrilled to see it go by the house, yes, had it delivered to the doorstep. Inspected, damages negotiated, and it was mine. Let your addiction began as mine did 28k miles ago.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Officially welcome aboard my friend.

For now focus on the stuff i wrote you about the steam wash,change all oil & fluids as soon as possible,switch to mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30,alignment,balancing,flush radiator & refill coolant fluid.

Make sure that all factory electrical are properly working (head lights,parking lights,signal lights,AC dome light,etc.

Take the VX for a 30 minutes ride 15 highway & 15 city streets,look for any thing that don't seem to be usual & write it down for future references.

Shift thru all trans gears to see how it performs,also work on the TOD by switching thru all TOD modes.

Check the winter & power drive modes to see if they all Ok.
    Dakar was just the begining.

I think you are looking at the alarm "armed" light. If you have the original keyless remote when you lock the doors it should arm the stock Isuzu alarm and that light should blink. Like pbkid said, some pictures could really help.
    Like the other said, this powers the map lights that are in the mirror. When you look at the mirror there should be a toggle switch at the lower left and lower right corners of the mirror.
    Without pictures, I think that is where the stock ash tray should be. Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu may be able to help you out there, or maybe someone has an extra one that they could part with.
    First just check to see if any of the squirter tubes are pinched under the hood. I had to fool with my hood insert once and when I reassembled everything I ended up pinching a line so there was little to no squirtyness happening.

- Os
    Oh, and welcome to the family. Today is the first day of the rest of your VX lovin' life.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Oh, and welcome to the family. Today is the first day of the rest of your VX lovin' life.
    The hole on the third switch you are refering about is the alarm's LED which seemed to be removed by the previous owner,the rectangular hole you also looking at is a missng cigarrette astray.

You can always have a nice parking brake,shifter & TOD handles installed that matches the VX's interior,also the gas & brake pedals to match the whole set.

If you want the cigar astray some one here might have one for sale or even free to you.
    Also have a aftermarket alarm system installed if none is there

the three switches to the left of the steering wheel are not stock, they came from a rodeo.. the stock alarm LED is between the steering wheel and radio, the rodeo came with the LED on that 3 switch panel to the left of the steering wheel, so id guess its not even hooked up

Congrats! You'll love this thing to death! We all do!

Your story and pics of picking it up at DAS's terminal were so funny to me....my VX was at a DAS terminal in Phoenix and it was pouring rain and it was a huge mud pie! I thought Phoenix was in the frikkin' desert!!?? Your weather looked much better! :grinp:

Mine was bone stock when I got it 2 months ago, so you'll have fun doing some mods.
    ~To the right of cigarette lighter was the slide out ashtray.

~The red LED light is for the factory alarm.

~Mine didn't come with any remotes, but I bought one on eBay and one on Amazon. DO NOT buy from a seller called "Original Keyless...unless you want to wait for 3 weeks + for delivery and receive absolutely zip customer service or email or voicemail responses. Secondly, DO NOT buy from an Amazon merchant named REMOTESUPERSTORE....sent me a knock off then never would refund my money even tho I sent it back . Had to file claim with Amazon to get money back. Go with the eBay seller of OEM remote.

~As the others mentioned, Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu in Missouri in the parts dept can get you great deals and FREE shipping on any parts still available. Great guy! 1-800-727-8066 ask for Merlin! And ask for internet discount (10-15% off)

~ I'm not sure if all VX's came WITH the OEM alarm...anybody know? To determine if yours has it, look way up under driver side dash/foot well area. It's a black box shape thing sitting "upright" and has a bright green circular button centered on it. Here's a pic from my gallery of mine.
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/DSCN0446.jpg
    If you get remote, it will come with programming instructions, easy as can be.

~The OEM remote does have a 2nd button on it for the hatch, there's detailed instructions on the forum somewhere of how to wire the hatchpopper so the remote will work. My stereo guys haven't done it yet to mine.

~One thing you'll soon learn...the stock VX does NOT have a hatch popper/release button. Have to open hatch with key, every time. Tone Monday (tonemonday.com) sells a hatchpopper kit for the VX. I'm friends with the guys at small locally owned car audio shop and they put all the parts together for me and installed it. I put the release button in the "fuzzy box" on the dash,... it's the small ( about 3" x 2") opening, with a slightly curved top, to left of steering wheel. It's lined with a sort of fuzzy type fabric so things like coins etc won't slip around. MANY folks have put other buttons there, so yours may already have something in it, may have bezel buttons on the face. Anyway, VXers on this forum suggested putting the button there for convenience, instead of putting it in glovebox...glad I did, real convenient to open door and reach button.

That's all I can think of now...but I'm a mere neophyte in the VX world, so all the other forum members will have all the answers you'll ever need! PLUS the search function will help you find ANY type of info you're looking for. If you can think it, somebody has probably already written a solution or recommendation about it!

Enjoy!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

if you need a keyless entry remote let me know, PBkid sent me a replacement for mine when it cracked.. the cracked one works fine still though, so if you dont want to spend money on one id send you the cracked one for free

grats on the VX..welcome
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Congrats!
    I know very well the feeling you experienced. I picked mine up from a cross country trip via DAS just 13 months ago.
    You are part of a very special family now.
    Enjoy the Proton!
    Best,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

Everyone, thanks for the welcome, comments, and advice. A few follow ups..

Everyone who replied Thanks for this info:
    - Mirror light power cord! Ah, got it that makes sense.
    - Alarm led! Got it.
    - Ash Tray! I'll either order replacement or incorporate the new hole into a mod. Cup holder maybe.

Gussie2000 Thanks for the maintenance and inspection points, I just added them to my list.

MSHardeman I'll check the squirter for pinched tubes first, thanks.

VX KAT,
    - Not sure how this came up, but I do already have a remote, but you answered my unasked question about the "option" button. Outstanding, thanks for that info. Door popper will def be one of my early mods.
    - I'll check for my alarm. When I use the remote to lock/unlock doors, I get a very high pitched chirp, and I assumed it armed an alarmed, but I will verify that box.
    - I still have my fuzzy hole! Future mod...

- Os

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    - Not sure how this came up, but I do already have a remote, but you answered my unasked question about the "option" button. Outstanding, thanks for that info. Door popper will def be one of my early mods.
    That's not right - the option button does not work with the alarm system. It was originally supposed to work with an optional receiver you connect to your garage door opener wires in order to open your garage door (but it is no longer available, I believe). It needs the DC voltage from the garage door opener wires in order to power itself and receive the signal from the remote. It is theoretically possible to find one of these and install it in the hatch-popper wiring on your VX and figure out a way to supply the correct voltage, but I don't think it's been done.

A bit of advice - check your oil level every tank of gas for the first few months and get to know your oil consumption rate. Some VX engines burn a quart per thousand miles, or even more. Other none at all.

Good luck!