Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Any of you guys carry?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    Colt Commander/Lightweight Commander in .45 ACP, from 1979 back please! Oh look - I already HAVE four of 'em; never mind!:bgwg:
    It’s hard to improve upon perfection.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Cool, I have one of these nifty little Blade Runner guns as well. Do you have any problems with your C.O.P.? I bought mine used and it sometimes fails to fire...actually more than sometimes. I pull, pull, pull, BAM! pull, pull, BAM!, BAM!, pull, pull, BAM!

Let me know your experience. Maybe I should try to find a different one or have mine looked at by a professional gun smith.

Bart
    BART--- The long, pull, pull, pull, BAM, you experience is completely normal on the C.O.P./.357 Magnum Derringer, and is exactly how it was designed to function. Just give it a good cleaning with WD-40 and you'll be fine. C.O.P. means "Compact Off-duty Police".

Since the C.O.P./.357 Magnum Derringer doesn't have a traditional lever-type safety; the manufacturer (now defunct) intentionally incorporated a very stout 14 lb trigger pull requirement, combined with an excessively long trigger pull that goes all the way back to the end of the trigger opening. They did this in an effort to ensure any firing of the weapon would have to be deliberate intent. It is also extremely difficult for a young child to pull the very strong trigger, thereby thwarting a possible accidental discharge.

When firing .357 Magnum rounds, the C.O.P. is extemely violent with excessive recoil (very harsh on the wrist) and will easily leave checkered-grip reverse impressions in the palm of your shooting hand. It is much more comfortable to shoot with the more docile .38 Special alternate ammunition due to the reduced recoil.

The C.O.P. derringer is best used as an "Anti-Snake" weapon using CCI "Shot-Shells" in the .357 Magnum/.38 Special caliber. The short barrel of the C.O.P. makes for a wide shotgun-like pattern of the CCI shot-pellets which is a perfect defense against venomous snakes. My C.O.P. is only loaded with CCI "Shot-Shells" and specifically only used as an "Anti-Snake" weapon. Have I ever encountered a snake??? No; but then again, I don't like taking chances and tempting fate. The only good snake, it a dead snake!!!

Whenever I go off-road 4-wheeling, I always have a LAR Grizzly Mk V in .50AE caliber in a quick-draw shoulder holster, which will easily bring down any sized bear, cougar, or thug should one ever be encountered. In addition, I'll also have the C.O.P. loaded with CCI's at the quick-draw ready should any snakes be accidently stumbled upon. Riff Raff

Hahaha, you don't know Bart all that well then, he'd probably let a snake shoot him before he shot it:bgwg:.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Hey Raff, I'm not talking about the trigger pull, I'm talking about pulling the trigger and not firing. I think the ratchet in mine is messed up.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Hey Raff, I'm not talking about the trigger pull, I'm talking about pulling the trigger and not firing. I think the ratchet in mine is messed up.

Bart
    BART--- Ok, in that case; then yes, definately have it checked out by a certified gunsmith!!! Riff Raff

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
    I've held class 1 and 10 FFL for many years. My opinions on RIGHT to carry should come as no suprise.

I recently let them expire over the issue of implied consent to search my home at any time.

If you decide to carry never forget that you carry the means of your own destruction with you. Do not carry if you are not prepared to deal with every consequence of taking someone life. Be that bad dreams, lawsuits, or vengeful relatives of the deceased.

Certainly a revolver is the most reliable firearm you can carry. An automatic will show less through clothes though. Whichever you carry should be hammerless, and if you can afford to, get it melted.

Remember if you exercise the right to carry that you are a 2nd class citizen. You give up other rights.

You can not risk getting into a scuffle with someone, because it will lead to one of you getting shot. You have to shrug off things where you might have otherwise pushed someone back, or similar.

Keep it a secret if you carry. If your friends know, they will commonly act up when you go out expecting that you will back them up.

If you get pulled over while carrying keep your hands well in sight. As the officer approaches the car tell him that you are authorised to CCW, and are doing so. You don't want him to suddenly catch a glimpse of you wearing it unannounced.

John C.
    yes! very true all around
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden