Thanks for the input guys. Where I live there have been a few home invasion. One of my families friends happen to be one of the victims, he was stabbed a couple of times and had all his front teeth kicked in. Not real sure if a gun would have helped out in his case, because the man broke in knowing our friend was home. He awoke to being stabbed and then the struggle ensued.
I have rifles for hunting and studied jujitsu for 3 years when I was in my twenties, but now with my back problems not so sure about my physical stability when it comes to hand to hand. I think it is important to explore all your options when it comes to protecting yourself and your family.
And for you English guys, I have a couple of English friends and they have more guns than anyone know. My friend Ned(English)told me the first thing he bought when he moved to the state was 44Mag like dirty Harry. Why I asked and he reply "Bescause I could.". Which at the time struck me really funny because my boy Ned was not right in the head and anyone lookin at Ned for the first time would see i. So to mess with Ned you would have to be alittle touched.

Thanks again for the input . I have much thinking to do. I will be taking a concealed weapons training class, but they recommend you use your own weapon. Here in Maine you need to have had weapons training to get a conceal permit.