Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any of you guys carry?

Any of you guys carry?

I have been look at handguns lately. I have been looking at a few Sig Sauers; p220 .45, p226 .40, p239 .40 SAS. what do you guys think and what do you shot?

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    i was gonna get concealed permit this year, but then i thought about it and im gonna be in some type of law enforcement by next year, so ill get the concealed permit without having to pay extra for it...so i just figured i would wait till then...
    oh, and i dont know much about guns, just that ill make a good officer...sorry no input on what to buy
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

For concealed carry, it boils down to a lot of personal preference. How big or small are your hands? Do you like revolvers or semi-autos(sounds like semis)? Do you prefer single action(SA), double action(DA), or SA/DA?Is the gun going to be comfortable to wear for up to 8 hours at a time? What are your plans for summer when it's hot and you are likely wearing shorts and a T-shirt? Do you like to carry inside the waistband(IWB), ankle, belt, pocket, jacket, etc. How accurate are you with said gun? A well placed shot with a .22 does more damage than a miss with a .45.(But not by much). Are you trying to wound someone to get away or kill someone so they don't sue you later? The general rule is to carry the largest caliber you feel comfortable with. Do you live in an area where you will likely be up against someone packing also, where it could develop into a gunfight so ammo capacity is a consideration? Start answering questions like these for yourself and you will start really narrowing things down. I don't know if you're familiar with the 21 foot rule or not, but it simply states that when someone carrying a knife comes within 21 feet of you and you have a concealed pistol, you are pretty much dead before you can fully draw. We practiced this many times in my concealed weapons class, and the knife won every time. My point is to learn to shoot mainly at 20ft. or better since you are screwed otherwise. I personally now carry an EAA Witness Elite Match in 10MM, it is a 15+1 single action. Do some research on that round. It's very nasty (pretty much a .40 cal magnum). EAA makes a model called a P carry in 10MM. The nice thing about the Witness line, is that you can change calibers simply by swapping out the slide. They have conversion kits that are ~$200 each in the following calibers: 10MM, .45, .40, .38 super, .357 SIG(custom), 9MM, .380, and .22 LR. I also recommend looking into a thing called Clipdraw. It's like a knife clip for your gun. Mine weighs about 2-1/4 pounds, and the clipdraw holds it fine. I carry in a cargo pocket since I always wear either cargo pants or cargo shorts. The advantages are that you can reach it from a seated or standing position which is nice. It is also fairly subtle since the cargo pocket is naturally baggy anyways. I do recommend a pad between the gun and your knee or you'll be sorry.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

WISDOM--- Yes, I carry a handgun in my right-rear pants pocket everyday. In case I'm ever robbed, I'll just say-- "Don't shoot, I'm just gonna' reach for my wallet." Then it's surprize time on him. I practice a mock scenario daily so I'm always trained and prepared should this ever happen to me.

My daily carry gun is an AMT Back-Up in .380 caliber, fully loaded with Black-Talon ammunition. The .380 caliber is essentially the same as a 9mm, except with a short stubby casing. The .380 caliber is truly a manstopper at close range. However, the .380 caliber is the very smallest caliber I would ever consider to carry for personal protection. The AMT .380 Back-Up is extremely compact and undetectable in my rear pants pocket, even when wearing a tucked-in shirt and no jacket. People only see a slight buldge in my rear pants pocket and naturally assume it's a fat wallet.

If I was ever going to replace it with an alternate weapon; it would be the Para-Ordnance "Wart Hog" sub-compact .45 ACP. This is the world's smallest .45 ACP with a high capacity magazine which is double-staggered. What I like about the .45 ACP round is that it makes a big hole going in, and a bigger hole going out!!! Personally; I like very big calibers in very small packages with very high capacity, and the Para-Ordnance "Wart Hog" .45 ACP sub-compact meets that criteria unlike any other handgun in the world, period.

The other self defense weapon I carry is the Kimber - Guardian Angel Pepper Blaster. This is a super lightweight Pepper Spray Blaster that clips to your trouser belt and shoots Pepper Spray out at over 90 MPH with a two-shot capacity.

I own a Tavern, and have had to use it once already on an unruly bar patron who got outta' hand. He was 6'4" and 260 lbs. It dropped him like a sack of potatoes to the floor, totally rendering him harmless as he whimpered and screamed "I can't see, I can't see!!!" My bouncer's merely picked him up and guided him out the front door like a blind man where he lied in the middle of the parking lot crying and covering his eyes. Priceless.

The other weapon I use in my Tavern is a Police Model M-26 Taser with bright yellow striping and built-in Laser Sight. Over the past 10 years I've Tasered a total of 6 people for various disturbances. 100% success rating, regardless of physical build. A very effective, and extremely intimidating weapon; especially with the bright red Laser Sight activated in a dark dim-lit tavern environment. The sheer sight of it will immediately calm down an unruly tavern crowd in a matter of seconds. However, the Taser is the exact same size as a full-sized Glock handgun and just way too big to carry, so it remains behind the bar counter until absolutely needed. That's why the Kimber - Guardian Angel Pepper Blaster is my #1 choice for a non-lethal weapon to carry daily on my trouser belt.

I'm so impressed with the Kimber - Guardian Angel, that I now carry two(2) units; one belt-clipped on each hip (left & right) like "Billy The Kid", giving me a total of four(4) Pepper Blaster Shots. Most people think it's some sort of pager or blackberry when clipped to the trouser belt. This item is available from CABELA's for only about $40 each and is very, very wicked. Small, lightweight, and extremely effective while being a non-lethal weapon. Highly recommended, and perfect for both men & women.

Thus, between my twin Kimber - Guardian Angel's on each hip and my AMT .380 Back-Up with Black Talon's in my rear pants pocket; I'm totally armed to the teeth and nobody knows the wiser. I always wear a tucked-in shirt without a jacket and cover-up nothing. Riff Raff

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    I'm very ANTI GUNS...

...it's the British thang in me.

""Our Cops dont carry weapons""...and the 'killed by guns" % is WAY below the US stats.

Look at the figures...look at the "accidental"' shootings.

Yea Yea..I know.."the right to bear arms"....

..but it leads to escalation of harm........

Go watch a very profound movie called .."Green Street Hooligans"...

Just My opinion.

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a concealed weapon permit ,but the gun I have now is to big to carry. It is a ruger 44 magnum single action revolver. It was my dads pistol.I personally like the Glock G19 9mm I used to have in Fl. If I had to choose right now I would choose the G26 "Baby" Glock 9mm. shawn
    1COOLVX

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by psychos2 View Post
    I have a concealed weapon permit ,but the gun I have now is to big to carry. It is a ruger 44 magnum single action revolver. It was my dads pistol.I personally like the Glock G19 9mm I used to have in Fl. If I had to choose right now I would choose the G26 "Baby" Glock 9mm. shawn
    I'll have to agree with Shawn, I'll be a Glock fanboy till' they pry my cold dead fingers from it's empty, & still smoking frame...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    I'll have to agree with Shawn, I'll be a Glock fanboy till' they pry my cold dead fingers from it's empty, & still smoking frame...

I would have sworn that Larry's response would be about "carrying", not packing. As in, "Hey Dude! Are you carrying?" Learn something new everyday.
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    I would have sworn that Larry's response would be about "carrying", not packing. As in, "Hey Dude! Are you carrying?" Learn something new everyday.
    Oh, how you DO make me laugh brother Gill...

After taking various martial arts and self defense courses (Boxing, Judo, Muay Thai, BJJ, Escrima, Close Quarters Combat, etc.), I have learned that I can be more dangerous than any weapon out there, no matter how big the opponent. I have dropped 220+ pound men. These were the trainers I took down... No Weapons... all Tactic!

Your weapon is only good if you can keep it in your hands. In Chicago, hand guns are not legal PERIOD! Though a shotgun could be fun to carry around the city... my arms would get tired. I have considered getting my CWC before, but found that the training I would use most is in tactical self defense.

Wanna wrassle???
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    really cece??

9 years tang soo do

3 years kung fu

1 year jujitsu

WTF do you need to carry a hand gun around?? Are things really that bad over there? Or is it the whole nuclear weapon thing, if everyone has one they won't get used?? Or do you just shoot the **** out of each other?
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN View Post
    Boxing, Judo, Muay Thai, BJJ, Escrima, Close Quarters Combat, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    really cece??

9 years tang soo do

3 years kung fu

1 year jujitsu

Man I am a lazy fool. I want to take classes but am two things, Shy(CHICKEN) and broke.

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN View Post
    Wanna wrassle???
    Yes. But I think you would hurt me.

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    Go watch a very profound movie called .."Green Street Hooligans"...
    That is an awesome movie. A must see.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    You forgot to add a descriptor in there... it should be: "from it's empty, JAMMED, and still-smoking frame..."

Yeah, I know what I just started. But I don't think much of Glocks. Whether it's at the range or in the news (like the guy who just shot the priest at the church) when I hear of a pistol jamming, it's almost always a Glock. Notice how most po-po depts don't use them anymore?

I'm a Heckler & Koch man, myself. I have an H&K USP .40 compact. A good carry pistol, but I don't carry. Buy quality if you're going to rely on a pistol for your safety.

Riff Raff's advice seems very solid to me, but his needs are different than most people's...