Thread: Gas Gauge mis-read

Gas Gauge mis-read

Lately my gas gauge has not been reading right.... AT ALL!! It's not dancing either. Sometimes by half tank my trip-o-meter says anywhere from 50 to 100 miles. Once I was almost to half a tank and only put in 5 gallons of gas. I do the math and am still getting normal MPG's. Coming home from Breck yesterday I was a bit over 20 MPG, so this isn't an engine problem (I think).

Any thoughts on this one or is it just a poor float?

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    darrin-
    im having the same problem...i checked my mileage on the way up there to see what i got uphill vs. downhill....every time i fill up, it stays at full for about 50 miles, then drops like a rock to 1/2 then it seems to be about normal from 1/2 to 1/4 then it goes really slow from 1/4 down...and i dont have a gas light anymore (i dont think, i havent seen it in a long time and i usually put about 20-21 gallons into the 22 gallon tank)
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Same Same

I'm getting my normal 14-16MPG's but I get fifty miles out of half a tank and then about 225 out of the second half

Yeah... my VX sucks on mileage still
    Richard
    Proud owner of a RWD VX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It looks like an angry snake-bee!" she said

Same here...

I get a consistent 15.5 or more overall but the first half goes by quick on the dash at least.

It seems like we're all having the same issue. After I fill up my gauge will drop to 3/4 tank in about five miles and dances around like a chihuahua on crack. It quickly drops to 1/2 tank after that and then takes a long time to get down to empty. I'm still getting the same gas milage that I always did, but the gauge mis-read is really starting to bug me. Would replacing the sending unit in the tank take care of this?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I guess i'm lucky,i haven't had any issues with my gauge so far,works perfectly,i also think the sending unit may need replacement or adjusments.
    Dakar was just the begining.

My gas meter has ADHD! I find it very annoying and distracting . I keep peeking at it to see what kind of silly place the needle will be. When I fill up it will be either past full or at .75 full , But just for a second or two then it will change ,then go back and so on ,for about 60 miles . Then wham o .25 of a tank left ? I am getting about 17 mpg between refuels . I do a lot of mixed driving (highway/city ) . All in all I still love my dragon , and this community . Dang I need to get (TJH) into that nifty green color .

My gas meter has ADHD!

LOL..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tjh View Post
    Dang I need to get (TJH) into that nifty green color .
    Ya know how to do that, right?...

Quote Originally Posted by crager34 View Post
    Lately my gas gauge has not been reading right.... AT ALL!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    darrin-
    im having the same problem...i checked my mileage on the way up there to see what i got uphill vs. downhill....
    Is it a Colorado/altitude thing?? I filled up in Denver. When I left Breck, it said I was down to less than half a tank. However, when I stopped off in Frisco to fill up the tires , I was only able to fit 5 gallons in the tank. There are some serious accuracy problem with the gas gauge...

i wonder if it could be related to the location? my gas gauge has been crazy accurate for the last year or so.. F at 22 gallons.. 3/4 at 17 gallons.. 1/2 at 12 gallons.. 1/4 at 7 gallons.. E at 2 gallons.. like clockwork

Wink

I have the same issues....tried removing cluster and slightly tightening screws on gauge as someone recommended but it did nothing for me.

I also tried Lucas Fuel treatment (added to tank) and it seemed to help for about a month or less and than the symptoms returned. Although, as of late, it seems to free up the gauge only while I am running the treated gas....then, when I drive on the next fill-up (untreated) the symptoms return.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 03/18/2009 at 02:28 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?