Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to your VX this week?

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Some people have reported problems with the TOD if the front and rear tyres aren't matched in wear.
    If your tyres vary much from front to rear, just keep an ear out for strange noises.
    Seems to affect some and not others.

PK
    Thanks for the tip but I should be okay as the rear Cooper Discoverer HT's have only around 300 miles on them, and I of course replaced the fronts with the same tire.

Changed the oil today, made a rookie mistake, didn't watch it drain, the plug backed up, 2 or 3 quarts in the driveway. Good thing I have about 5 gallons of dish soap Purrs like a kitten again, been 7 months and 3000 miles since last change. Tomorrow is the big day, with it being 65 in the morning, its tolerable to be outside till 11 or 12. I am gonna try and get the electrical work done, redo all switches to OEM switch, add relay and project box for various accessories (thanks for the tip boss). I have a external speaker to wire up for the CB, I think its going in the overhead, right between the visors. I also have to trim the axiom engine cover to fit, install new grill insert and if I am feeling really ducky, I will rhino line the hood insert, front cladding and fenders and parts of the hood. No promises there, that is gonna take a bit of time and Istill have to do my statistics homework.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

LoL

He said tyres!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
    LoL

He said tyres!
    I can't help it if you guys are 50 years behind the rest of the world in converting to metric spelling.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

I'm in the process of fitting 6x9 Polk db speakers into the factory rear spots... fun stuff!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just finished swapping out the grill insert, had to change the "ISUZU" emblem out as well, it remains upside down
    I also used a titanium exhaust wrap on the rear exhaust, mine has been rubbing a spot on the frame since I busted a hangar last Uwharrie trip. No more rattle!!
    I was going to fit the inclinometer, but I am just not feeling it today. The busted brake line has me all bummed out, part won't be here till tue or wed.

I also removed the passenger side exhaust manifold heat shield, only one of the bolts broke, I was surprised. I do have a leak under there, I just can't seem to find it. I can feel the exhaust coming out, and smell it, so it must be a pin hole, of course, its on the underside where you can't see it. That may be a winter time fix...we shall see.
    Still need to rhinoline the hood/fender/cladding, not feeling that today either. *sigh*, now I am bored.

I finally received my new amplifier to finalize my full speaker system upgrade, but we are still dealing with record high temps out here... supposed to be 104ish for another week.

Wish I had an air conditioner in the garage... I'm not gettin' anywhere on my vehicles this year... grrrrrrr

Boredom cured, I ended up taking the tow hook off, painting the clip style old Trooper tow hooks with caliper red as we speak, once dry, I will put both on the VX. Anyone need a OEM tow hook, its painted red
    I also went ahead and mounted the CB external speaker. That only took about 5 minutes, now I am bored again.
    Inclinometer is calling my name, I just don't feel like getting the angle grinder out and fabricating a housing. Lazy is winning. I was hoping mail lady would bring a new game via Gamefly, but alas, no game for me. Can't do homework, left my bag in the truck, which the wife took to work English Composition is a joke, I spend 30 minutes a week writing 1000 word essays, get 100%, and she commends me on setting my paper aside and doing a thorough review before handing it in. Riiiiiight, more like waiting until the day its due, throwing it together, turning in rough draft. Yippee for college!!! Statistics is fun though CalcII, not so fun
    Sorry, I am just trying to avoid going back out to work on the VX.

Yeah I remember CalcII, it went much better the second time around.

I love statistics - the science of making numbers say anything you want them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Anyone need a OEM tow hook, its painted red
    I'm interested..are ya givin' it away or how much do you want for it?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I'm interested..are ya givin' it away or how much do you want for it?
    15 bucks shipped, I will put a fresh coat of red if you want me to. I use caliper paint, so it is long lasting.

Herculined the hood and insert and fenders, if I don't pick up the RS tomorrow, I will probably do the cladding as well.
    I also installed the inclinometer, CB in the F250...still waiting on my replacement SS brakeline. I also have the rear EBC pads on hand, waiting till front brakes are done before I mess with that so I can check the rear caliper piston movement and make sure they actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    15 bucks shipped, I will put a fresh coat of red if you want me to. I use caliper paint, so it is long lasting.
    Ya, sure ya betcha, paint her up and I'll take it!
    Send me a PayPal bill to: kactuskat@mac.com
    It will have my address, etc...

Can ya send it asap & use Priority Mail (I think it would fit in "small" flat rate, don't you?), I'm leavin' on a trip Monday 10/11, so I'd really like to get it delivered by Sat 10/9. Small flat rate box is $4.95. Bump up the total to cover the extra shipping cost for this.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Ya, sure ya betcha, paint her up and I'll take it!
    Send me a PayPal bill to: kactuskat@mac.com
    It will have my address, etc...

Can ya send it asap & use Priority Mail (I think it would fit in "small" flat rate, don't you?), I'm leavin' on a trip Monday 10/11, so I'd really like to get it delivered by Sat 10/9. Small flat rate box is $4.95. Bump up the total to cover the extra shipping cost for this.

Thanks.
    Done, I will paint it in the morning, ship it out on Monday, Paypal request sent. Have fun on your trip!!! Hopefully you won't need the hook!!!

Wink

I want to state for the record that I love my VX and as an original owner it is the longest owned vehicle of the 12 vehicles I've owned in my life. That being said...I didn't want to come off being an un-happy owner after proceding into the next few paragraphs.

My VX has been in the shop (dry-dock) for the past 10 days for PM and issues that I wanted to address before they lead to future complications.

A week before the dry-dock situation I did have a rear axle leak that to my surprise wasn't a pinion seal or RTV seal or vent hose issue. It ended up being a corrosion issue as in the rear diff was rusted-out at the top left (driver-side) shoulder radius of the pumpkin. I had an expert welder fix this with a patch of steel that was done to such perfection I have trouble spotting it and I know its there! This however, lead to me noticing my driver-side rocker-panel was rotted through from the bottom.

I'm a little disappointed because in the 10 years of ownership I really only drove it one full winter ('09-'10) as my daily driver. The previous winters it only came out during serious snow-storms of 12" or more which meant like two-three times a winter...where upon I would pressure wash the frame & rockers & wheel wells and park it again.

So I dry-docked her for timing-belt/water-pump/etc...PM & front bumper rebar replacement & had my friend (who is an expert metal fabricator/welder) remove the cladding on both sides to inspect the corrosion issues & estimate labor/material costs to rebuild rocker-panels.

In the end I spent $430 for the Timing-belt/water pump/etc PM engine work including swapping out rusted front-bumper rebar for new replacement (which I heavily painted with rustoleum primer/paint & undercoated) plus $1,100 for rocker-panel restoration on both sides utilizing some 12gauge & 16gauge steel (this includes inner & outer rocker panel construction) plus replacing all hardware involved with stainless-steel fasteners plus he re-painted my Rock-slider bars since they had to be removed to rebuild the rocker-panels plus he heavily undercoated the affected areas (utilizing an amber-colored, waxxy feeling undercoating as oppossed to the usual black rubberized tar stuff) & sprayed oil throughout and encouraged me to get the VX oiled (oil-undercoated) before winter & in spring (which I haven't done yet @ $45). Timing belt parts w/ water pump came to approx. $765 as per Merlin. Also replaced both Radiator hoses & Serp. belt plus SC Serp. belt. Front bumper rebar was $154 from RockAuto.com.

Buying new shoes next week too...bummed I can't replace my Green Diamond Icelander M/T's with the same as I've grown to love them and the company went out of business...then has been ressurected but is not up to production as none of the dealers I've talked to can get them. So after striking-out with the new General Grabber A/T too (back-order 'til Dec.) and not getting a warm & fuzzy feeling about their snow worthiness... I've ordered 4 Yokohama Geolander M/T's ($202 each plus mounting & balancing) and keeping my lone Icelander M/T spare as a continued spare. Praying they will get me through the snow close to the same as the Icelanders did even though they don't have the carbide granules to assist.

Sorry for the long-winded post...hope it doesn't deter from reading...hoping to get 5-10 more years out of the old girl!
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 10/03/2010 at 01:29 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?