Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to your VX this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    Hey, that's a better idea than covering them with black electrical tape...which is how I got rid of the blinking clock on my VCR (yeah, showing my age)...
    FYI they can be pretty difficult to remove. I think I had to soak them in warm water and dish soap 3x, then follow-up with GooGone to get rid of all of it. Others had an easier time though.
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 03/18/2011 at 10:26 AM

Quote Originally Posted by VXjunky View Post
    anyone know where i can get a craig-bluelight, 4 track tapedeck
    In a separate WTB thread?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Thanks for the compliments Earl, hopefully with another coat of 303 they'll darken up even more. Now it's time for you to remove the max load sticker from the brackets and they'll look REALLY good.
    Mine have a little desert dust, but here's a close up. Mine aren't quite seated correctly in these shots, but we'll be removing the Yakima basket now that our pulley system is done. Then I can adjust & dremel them a little.
    Does take a lot of Goo Gone and some patience.

I'll bet the Showroom New would work on this plastic...could make the rails nice and dark....hmmmm......
    Last edited by VX KAT : 03/18/2011 at 09:26 AM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

An FYI for anyone thinking of doing this on their own...

The roof rack "feet" tend to walk a bit (maybe 1-2 mm) when the truck's in motion even if you have the screws tightened all the way down. What that means for this mod is that caps with tightly fitting openings will sometimes pop a tab loose while you're in motion. Unfortunately I didn't realize this when I made mine and Sue's, so we've had to Dremel them down a bit further. You can see in Mile High's pics that I made the opening about 1/4" wider on each side to allow for that play.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I'll bet the Showroom New would work on this plastic...could make the rails nice and dark....hmmmm......
    Wouldn't hurt to give it a go but I'm pretty sure the rails and covers are just painted yellow plastic, so you'd essentially be trying to dye paint. I would try to find a used set before dying it. (Plus I hear your custom cap manufacturer will void your warranty if you dye the plastic. )

YAY!!! My Alpine KCA-410c Versatile Link Terminal came in the mail today! That means I can install my Alpine CDA-9855 headunit with the KCA-100BT bluetooth module AND I can additionally hook up an aux for my iPod and my Droid! Plus, I have one more Ai-net and a second aux, in case I want sat radio or something later...there is much to do with her sound system, but by the time I'm done with her, the sound of baby proton will elicit feelings of pure bliss

...so this is my plan for the weekend! Anybody need an OEM headunit? Lol...I'll probably put it up here for sale once I dig it out of my dash.

Now you just need to set that alpines gps to "Moab" and follow it in 8 weeks!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

And in true cocky 12V installer fashion, I hooked everything up without paying a bit of mind to the wiring diagram (it's so obvious...who needs instructions, right?), ran all the Ai-net lines, the mic and the remote for the bluetooth module, etc...clicked everything in and went to test: no sound via the speakers from the bluetooth module when in-call. So I checked my head unit settings and connections again...nothing still. So finally I checked the manual, and I see that I need an Alpine PXA-H701 "Multimedia Manager" to get audio thru my speakers. WTF really? So I left my bluetooth module installed for later, though I chose aux as my one Ai-net input. You win again, Alpine...

/end rant

...I feel so defeated.

And triathlete, I'm surely going to try my darndest to get to Moab and say hello to everyone! All depends on school. I probably won't take my baby offroad though...too scared to get a scratch.

Hey, ya finally got yer user name changed! Excellent!!

Yesterday was a perfect day to give some love to my toy.
    After months i cleaned VX in & out.

I also change the oil and filter.My aftermarket air filter was dirty so i get it washed and is cleaned as new.

I went to the bronx to visit few friennd,but didn't wanna miss the chance and drove by one of our new fellow members, eddie ( nycpdnarco69 ) who just bought the black S/C'd ebony from richard payne in colorado nice looking rig for sure

In cue are few stuff to get done,my driver's side CV boot is busted so needs replacement ,the rim on that same side suffered an small dent on saturday afternoon by avoiding an crash thanks to an idiot swinging into my lane without notice and forcing me to fall hard and fast in one of the hundred and hundred of pot holes that became an pandemic issue in this city. ( thank you Mr. mike bloomberg )
    Dakar was just the begining.

I've got a 4 day weekend starting tomorrow morning and I want to try and get the differential drop done, completely... Is it doable? I dunno.

Any tips for a novice parts exchanger? I've printed the PDF file on the site here out linning the steps and is a big help, but for those that have done it, was that good enough or were there any steps or tips left out?
    Also, what did you guys use to cut out the brackets? I don't want to mess up and remove too much material and not be able to weld them back together!

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Bought a MagnaBra and got that on. Was easy following the directions and using the recomended heat application!
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

sent my supercharger in for a rebuild.

Spent the afternoon freezing my rump off while I hunted down a leak in the back of the VX that was keeping my carpet wet. Thought it was from the CB antenna mount but turns out it was from the radio antenna. Was coming in, running along the roof to the trim, then dripping out of that piece of trim in the top center that has the slits in it. All fixed now. Cleaned it up and used black RTV to do a makeshift patch job on the cracked antenna gasket. Looks good and is working well thus far, had some hard rains today but not a drip. Now just to get that damn carpet dry.

the CB antenna mount

Anyone still uses CB? That is so 70's