Thread: Sway Bar Bushings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sway Bar Bushings

I ordered a set of front and rear energy suspension greasable sway bar bushings (the part numbers recommended). I am hoping to get rid of the "bouncing on my bed" squeak.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. If they are greasable, does that mean I need to apply grease when I install them, and if so, what kind of grease?

Thanks.

No...they have zerk fittings...just use a grease gun and the grease that comes with it...while you're at it, the drive train has 2 fittings (near the rear end)...give them a squirt too...

you can grease them when you install them but be careful about it, what i did is put a small amount of grease in them before install to get a good coating, but if you do too much it can get hard to install them because they slip out of your hand when you try to fit them over the swaybars

if you can, try to have someone nearby to help you install them, the fronts can be a little tricky because they are close to the factory skid plate under the front cladding

For swaybars use the thickest grease possible. I recommend Lucas X-tra heavy duty or Lucas Red N' Tacky. Both hold up very well for my sway bar bushings which are at higher angles than just about everyone.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Question....

Searched high and low on here and couldn't find the info on this...

When installing the front (energy suspension) greaseable bushings, where "should" the slit in the bushing itself face? There are two ways, facing down or facing up?
    Problem I'm seeing is when I installed them facing up and then putting the brackets on, positioning, tightening, etc, done...the outer facing area of the slit (beyond under the metal bracket) does not close up or meet all the way on both fronts and I end up with a small but noticeable gap up there on the bushings. I tried putting them in facing down and the slit closes up tight on both front bushings. I don't know, maybe nothing of any concern but thought I'd see if anyone else experienced this and what the preferred install was? The back ones were no problem at all.

Excellent Question.

I installed mine with the slit open on the side. Perhaps that is wrong.

The beast hasnt fallen apart yet (knock on wood) but perhaps it would be better installed the other way.

?

Anyone else have input on my post? boo-hoo.....

Quote Originally Posted by VX4EJR View Post
    Searched high and low on here and couldn't find the info on this...

When installing the front (energy suspension) greaseable bushings, where "should" the slit in the bushing itself face? There are two ways, facing down or facing up?
    Problem I'm seeing is when I installed them facing up and then putting the brackets on, positioning, tightening, etc, done...the outer facing area of the slit (beyond under the metal bracket) does not close up or meet all the way on both fronts and I end up with a small but noticeable gap up there on the bushings. I tried putting them in facing down and the slit closes up tight on both front bushings. I don't know, maybe nothing of any concern but thought I'd see if anyone else experienced this and what the preferred install was? The back ones were no problem at all.