Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Exhaust Options

I have a loud bike (Honda, not a Harley) and I agree we get away with a lot more sound on bikes. There's a biker saying though that goes like this:
    "Loud pipes save lives"
    That's because it's sometimes hard to see a bike. It's always easy to spot a VX though.

More on topic, has anyone installed a Flowmaster muffler on their VX? How did that sound?

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    I have a loud bike (Honda, not a Harley) and I agree we get away with a lot more sound on bikes. There's a biker saying though that goes like this:
    "Loud pipes save lives"
    That's because it's sometimes hard to see a bike. It's always easy to spot a VX though.

More on topic, has anyone installed a Flowmaster muffler on their VX? How did that sound?

Agreed ! i drive through London everyday and 9 times out of 10 i hear a bike and look for it in my mirrors etc before i see it
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

VCross007 installed the super 40, but didnt like because of the loss of torque

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Great at idle, but grating after that. I had a 2.5" Delta 40 or 50 on mine, and I stopped driving the VX so much because it was so loud and awful inside - it felt like the muffler was piped into the cargo area. Don't do it.

I replaced it with a 2.5" Dynomax super turbo muffler late last year and have been absolutely ecstatic with the results. Similar burble at idle, but far better sound quality and far lower sound level than the FM.

Crotchrocket, can you get Dynomax in UK?

Good luck all!

Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ View Post
    Crotchrocket, can you get Dynomax in UK?
    Nope

VehiGAZ--- You convinced me-- when I have to replace my muffler, I'm going the Dynomax Super Turbo route. What kind of set-up do you have with the Dynomax Super Turbo??? Dual Exhaust or Single??? If Dual; did you use twin mufflers or a single-into-two???

VehiGAZ--- Where are you???

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    VehiGAZ--- Where are you???
    x2

I had a 2.5" Delta 40 or 50 on mine, and I stopped driving the VX so much because it was so loud and awful inside
    I think I have to correct this statement - I recently came across my receipt from Summitracing.com and it says I got a FlowMaster Super 44 series muffler - not the Delta 40 I thought. Hmm.... maybe that's why it didn't sound good?

In any event, I have a single 2.5" pipe from the Y junction (right after the cats) back to the 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo (center in/offset out configuration), then more 2.5" piping back to a bolt-on chrome exhaust tip.

Riff Raff - I'm in Connecticut.
    Last edited by VehiGAZ : 04/01/2009 at 07:58 AM

vehiGAZ-
    do you have any video/sound clip of your dyno max?
    MODIFICATIONS:
    285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Steel braided brake calbes, K&N Air Filter, Window Tinting, Debadged, 3 inch lift, Custom boulder bars, Yakima Roof Rack w/ Iron Hoarse Cage, Pioneer DEH-P6000UB deck, and more to come (once the funds do).

In any event, I have a single 2.5" pipe from the Y junction (right after the cats) back to the 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo (center in/offset out configuration), then more 2.5" piping back to a bolt-on chrome exhaust tip.

Riff Raff - I'm in Connecticut.
    VehiGAZ--- I wasn't concerned of where you live, you silly-- I just wanted to know how your exhaust was set-up (single or dual, etc). Anyway, thanx for the update. I'm thinking of trying a "dual" set-up. Probably just like yours using a "single" Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, except with a center-in/twin-out configuration going to dual exhaust tips (matching left & right at rear) using 2.5" everywhere beyond the Y-junction.

Quote Originally Posted by dtruax View Post
    vehiGAZ-
    do you have any video/sound clip of your dyno max?
    Nope - I tried to record the sound a couple of times for a couple of forum members, but was totally unsatisfied with the results - for a complex, wide-spectrum sound like an exhaust, you need pro-quality recording devices. Cell phones and digital cams just don't cut it!

And of course you'd have to replay it through a good sound system too, but that problem is not on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    VehiGAZ--- I wasn't concerned of where you live, you silly
    I forgot to put a smiley after that crack.

Gotta say...very, very happy with my Flowmaster Off-Road Extreme. I've had it for a couple of years now. Deep growly sound, not raspy.

There are two video (with audio!) clips in my member gallery, comparing the stock exhaust sound with the Flowmaster sound. If I were more of a genius, I probably could have figured out how to link those clips to this post. (Can anyone help me with that?)

As a bonus, the muffler is a cool-looking black diamond-plate steel. Coupled with a carbon-fiber (or fibre, if you're in the UK) exhaust tip from eBay, I now have a color-coordinated Ebony VX. I ever roll it and get stuck belly-up, I'll look AWESOME.

OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate