Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: infinity FX45 muffler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5

infinity FX45 muffler

hey guys...i dont know the technical stuff about mufflers so i figured i would ask the conglomerate (is that how you spell it?)...

so the PV2 im currently running is starting to get on my nerves..i dont know if its just getting old (bought it used almost 3 years ago), or if having a noisy car just gets old

anyhow, i was looking to possibly upgrade this summer...
    i LOVE the way the infinity FX45 sounds...so i thought to myself, maybe i can just get a FX45 muffler and have someone weld it on the VX...

questions-
    1. is the back pressure going to be WAY off (either + or -), causing engine trouble...

2. is it going to sound remotely the same? different motors so i dont know what to expect.

thanks guys,
    jack
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

it does sound nice, but isn't that a V8? two more power strokes makes a world of difference in sound
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    it does sound nice, but isn't that a V8? two more power strokes makes a world of difference in sound
    Yep, FX45 has 4.5 liter V8. FX35 has 3.5 liter V6. I'd be happy with the sound of the G35 though

I agreed with sam on this one.

The FX45 sounds louder because of the additional power by the V8 engine so if you are looking for some alike muffler sound you may want to drop a V8 too in there too
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    By the way crotch,your VX isn;t more any standard

im pretty sure the Fx45 also has 2 mufflers.. i know its got dual exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    By the way crotch,your VX isn;t more any standard
    Wasn't that, it just made me chuckle thats all!! No offence pbkid but putting the exhaust from a v8 car on a v6 isn't going to make it sound like a V8, lol

Would be amazing if it did though!!! Everyone would have one

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    No offence pbkid but putting the exhaust from a v8 car on a v6 isn't going to make it sound like a V8, lol
    well i mistaked the fx45 for the 35....
    i was looking for the sound out of the FX35...its a 3.5L V6 (same size as our motors) because i figured with the same size motor it should sound about the same...

i realize that my V6 is never going to sound like a V8 lol....i dont like the sound of V8's, personally, with how noisy all V8's seem to be. it just gets annoying to me, not sounding good. i am just looking for something a little quieter than what i have right now, with some rumble left over

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    well i mistaked the fx45 for the 35....
    i was looking for the sound out of the FX35...its a 3.5L V6 (same size as our motors) because i figured with the same size motor it should sound about the same...

i realize that my V6 is never going to sound like a V8 lol....i dont like the sound of V8's, personally, with how noisy all V8's seem to be. it just gets annoying to me, not sounding good. i am just looking for something a little quieter than what i have right now, with some rumble left over
    I get ya

The infinity would be the sklyline here wouldn't it? yep, does sound good! I'd love my VX to sound like my 300zx which again is a 3ltr V6 but we'll see how it goes, i started another thread last week ( http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15294 ) about what to do but looks like i will make my own then i can have it how i want to !!!!

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Not even remotely the same. It's not just the muffler that determines the sound, it's also what goes into the muffler that makes a big difference too, as has been discussed.

I'm a big promoter of the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (let's count the threads...). The FlowMawster I originally put in was brutally loud, but the 2.5" exhaust and the high-flow attributes of the muffler made for real nice performance. You have a similar upgraded exhaust system now, so any restricted muffler (including the FX's) will be very quiet but will slow you down. We don't want that.

The Dynomax Super Turbo has higher flow than the FlowMaster, but is far quieter, while still emanating a distinctly non-stock rumbly sound. And it's only like $60 delivered. Install will depend on the size of the PowerVault muffler relative to the Dynomax. I can't recommend it enough.

Good luck!

see...like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V4Xh...eature=related

that sounds mean to me...a little high pitched at high rpm but sounds great at idle...

vehigaz, do you have any type of soundclip for that exhaust??

a little high pitched at high rpm
    can you say RICEY

and that isn't even an American spec which means more power. My Morgan tech sounds as good

agreed..i love the morgan tech stuff but i dont think he is making products anymore..

and i dont think 'infiniti' would agree with you much on the 'riceyness'

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    vehigaz, do you have any type of soundclip for that exhaust??
    As it happens, I just tried to record my exhaust note for PittVX, but was unsatisfied with the results I got from the equipment I had to work with. An exhaust note has lots of highs and lots of lows, and a cell phone or camera just can't capture both ends of the sound - you need pro audio equipment to record it, and a very good sound system to replay it. By that same token, don't expect that your new muffler is going to sound just like a recording you hear on youtube.

The Dynomax has a very nice idle - not as deep and bellowy as a FlowMaster, but definitely aggressive without being ricey or raspy - for lack of a better description, it barks when you prod the gas pedal. I don't know what it sounds like from the outside at speed, though. Inside the cabin, you hear it a bit, but it seems somewhat distant even at full howl. By contrast, the FlowMaster was so loud inside that it sounded like it had been piped up into the cargo area.

My advice to you is to suck up the expense and hassle and try out different mufflers until you find one that you are happy with - but start with the Dynomax Super Turbo series. The fact is that there is just no other way to predict what any particular muffler is going to sound like on your particular exhaust set up while you are standing next to it or driving it.

Good luck!