Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blackberry storm?

Blackberry storm?

So in searching for a new cell phone and waiting for palm pre's release. I was thinking of getting a new cell phone and needing one bad as my Centrino is on its last limb.

Now I know I know iphone this iphone that. I do have Att but I do not want a iphone just yet. Lets just say I dont drive a Vx because everyone has one. I know the power of the iphone I just want to try others before I goto that even tho i have been told by a friend who writes programs for them all and he says iphone is the best. Course I am thinking this pre is gonna be a bit better.

So with that said I am eyeing the Storm. So any thoughts? Any complaints? Or any other phone suggestions?

Now I do you the heck outta my browser and email and text on current phone. And yes it will have to be and unlocked phone I am getting because Storm is on Verizon's network.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

By not getting an iPhone for iPhone sake your shooting yourself in the foot!! i would have agreed with you before but my girlfriend got a blackberry storm and it was very chunky and not that easy to use, the touch screen was ok but you have to click the whole screen down (like one large button) to select things. She sent it back and now has a 3rd gen iPhone and i can honestly say its awesome!!

It does email just as well as the storm and you just wait till you see all the different applications you can get !!!!
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Like you, I looked at the tickleberry, but I ended up buying the google G1.

John C.

My next phone will be the samsung omnia. with the 5 mp camera. shawn
    1COOLVX

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    By not getting an iPhone for iPhone sake your shooting yourself in the foot!! i would have agreed with you before but my girlfriend got a blackberry storm and it was very chunky and not that easy to use, the touch screen was ok but you have to click the whole screen down (like one large button) to select things. She sent it back and now has a 3rd gen iPhone and i can honestly say its awesome!!

It does email just as well as the storm and you just wait till you see all the different applications you can get !!!!
    Not sure if shooting myself in foot or not. Like i said just waiting for pre which imo will be better than iphone but only time will tell. Course the new iphone is comming out this summer as well so my mind may change then again all up in air just getting everyones opinion. And yes the big click button as I have seen in reviews is like a big notebooks mouse pad. With everything sure takes getting used to.

As far as apps go RIM just came out with there app store this morning @ 0000. yeah its not as big as apples but give things time everything grows. Plus from what I have read Apple is increasing the cost of each app which is a turn off for me but hey people will payw hat they want.

Also as far as the G1 I do like it and the android os is awesome from what I have seen and played with on buddies phone. Also thier app store has alot of free if not most apps. But thanks for all the input keep them comming

i love my samsung omnia!!

it works off of normal windows mobile so there are quite a few things you can do with it, ive installed quite a few new programs on mine to make it even more user friendly and to improve the look of the interface

my two biggest complaints about it...

the touch screen requires much more of a push than an iphone (ie its just not as sensitive) but the stylus that comes with it works well and the fact that it hangs off the side doesnt bother me at all

you cant use programs that use GPS on the verizon I910 because they have disabled the gps except for VZnavigator (if you dont have verizon, you can get the unlocked I900 which works with gps already) but from what ive heard verizon is supposed to release an update that would unlock the GPS feature before july

here are some screen shots from mine.. all of the menus..
    then the second one is the main screen, the main screen when viewing settings and the bottom is a shot of browsing vehicross.info on it

Last edited by etlsport : 04/01/2009 at 08:39 AM

I've had a Blackberry Curve (8300) for over 2 years now and it's worked very well. Great for texting and keyboard lock works simple, not 3G but a good phone. Easy to take apart due to replaced the key board (Twice) due to over use (5k text a month, but my 14 year old has over 11k on her Curve) and removing the roller ball to clean (alot). It's showning it's age but still kicking. Anyway I'm looking into the Blackberry Bold, ATT's 3G new model, but it looks alittle bulky. Let me/us know if you get the Verizon Storm and how you get it unlocked, I heard if you call your cell phone provider and tell them your leaving the country with your phone they can unlock it, is that true??? Keep us up to date
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

its a local guy. from what I was told and haven't researched much yet only 3 ways to unlock phone. hardware, software and forget last one. I know iphone is software were you have to take in to get new updates when new firmware comes out. The storm is done via hardware were you can update the phone yourself. again this is what I was told over phone. When I get more info or if I decide on storm will let ya know. Course juse is right around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by VCrossfan View Post
    I've had a Blackberry Curve (8300) for over 2 years now and it's worked very well.
    Another loyal CURVE owner here. It easily does everything I need a phone to do.
    I know phones are getting very hi-tech nowadays, but it seems like everyone I know always get the new phones with all the new app's and then...2 months later, they have a phone with a bunch of app's they don't use.
    btw, I personally cannot stand the Iphone. The onscreen keyboard is for the birds. I think the G1 is better, but still too new and too much. And from what I've seen of the STORM, I would probably get one IF I needed a new phone.

Cy
    - you have to know what it is to know what it is -

Quote Originally Posted by cyronman View Post
    Another loyal CURVE owner here. It easily does everything I need a phone to do.
    I know phones are getting very hi-tech nowadays, but it seems like everyone I know always get the new phones with all the new app's and then...2 months later, they have a phone with a bunch of app's they don't use.
    btw, I personally cannot stand the Iphone. The onscreen keyboard is for the birds. I think the G1 is better, but still too new and too much. And from what I've seen of the STORM, I would probably get one IF I needed a new phone.

Cy
    I agree Cy. I told my daughter if she Ace'd school I'd get her a phone of her choice, Welllllll she is and I hope she doesn't choose the iphone mainly due to if the battery goes bad you have to send it in and it's $100 (I'm told) plus no phone (I know pull the sim and put it in the extra razors laying around). And a Blackberry and most other "do-it-yourself" OEM batteries on feebay are about $15 or less to your door...

Quote Originally Posted by VCrossfan View Post
    I agree Cy. I told my daughter if she Ace'd school I'd get her a phone of her choice, Welllllll she is and I hope she doesn't choose the iphone mainly due to if the battery goes bad you have to send it in and it's $100 (I'm told) plus no phone (I know pull the sim and put it in the extra razors laying around). And a Blackberry and most other "do-it-yourself" OEM batteries on feebay are about $15 or less to your door...
    Welllllll, I don't know about Jacksonville, but in San Diego I think it's the law--if you're female, you HAVE to have an Iphone .
    Good luck!

I have been thinking seriously about the Storm, but just heard from this thread about the G1..... me likey. I especially like the slide keyboard instead of the on screen one. Now... I just need to go play with them.

I've been using a Storm since December and I love it. It does take some getting used to but after that, It's been wonderful. I use it to do all kinds of things including managing this forum from it.
    Scott / moncha.com

Quote Originally Posted by crager34 View Post
    I have been thinking seriously about the Storm, but just heard from this thread about the G1..... me likey. I especially like the slide keyboard instead of the on screen one. Now... I just need to go play with them.
    Look @ the palm pre. Watch the video of it from CES suppose to come out first half of this year after got pushed back from first qtr.

Its is a open platform using (forget what code its using have to watch video again) I think was html code along with something else so anyoen can write programs for it and there will nto be a learning curve.

Sorry throwing 2 cents in again.

Edit:: Oh yeah btw pre is full touch screen with slide out (from bottom not side) qwerty kb.
    Last edited by Dumke : 04/01/2009 at 11:02 AM

I just checked youtube and there's many tutorials on unlocking the Storm, of course you have to visit there web site and buy it, but I found a $9.99 one that accepts paypal.. I'm sure there are free one's somewhere. It's all done by entering a code..