Thread: Just How Deep Can I Go ?

Just How Deep Can I Go ?

I've seen a few threads where people have gone a bit deep in mud or water and the alternator has fried etc but no conclusive answer as to how deep is safe?

I'm going to a 4x4 site this weekend with a water feature and it varies in depth depending on where you go in it. i need to drive the VX home again after and don't want to damage it!

So where should i go up to with the water with a standard air box and no snorkle etc?
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

You might want to be careful about the mud too. There is a sensor that moniters everything and it is located somewhere on the bottom front of the VX. If it gets muddy it starts to shut the vehicle down little by little.

This happened to Lisa. Luckly, her VX was still under warrenty underwise it would have cost her thousands to fix.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

You might find this thread to be good reading.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...hlight=fording
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

You boys who like to play in that slop kill me!!! I hate the mud! I hate driving in it, I hate getting stuck in it, and most of all, I hate cleaning it off my VX! I'll take those red sandy banking Moab trails any day over the black sludge!!!

Bart

PS - If you do a lot of mudding, you are going to have to get your wheel bearings re-packed with grease more regularly....

Remember when going through deep water to push it.... don't plow it.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
    I've just got to say it!

"That's what she said"

I'm glad you said it because I was thinking it.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I have had mine in mud above the tires, almost above the cladding, no problems, just clean it out afterwards right away. Then check all your fluids and whatnot. I would definitely agree that its at your own risk, and to be careful about bearings and stuff. As a disclaimer, mine is not a required daily driver, so I am willing to risk a little more and I never go out alone, only with at least one other vehicle and mostly within 20 miles from home.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Luninox View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
    I've just got to say it!

"That's what she said"
    Yeah, but, shouldn't it be "that's what he said?"

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    mostly within 20 miles from home.
    And that is yet ANOTHER reason why I hate mud. I would HATE to get stuck out somewhere really remote, but I guess for you people out East, there is no such thing as "really remote" any more. Out here though, getting stranded in the middle of nowhere could get a little scary...

Bart

Most of the guys here carry waffle boards, shovels, ground anchors etc and the cars all have snorkle's and winches for self revocery so not too bad if yo get stuck alone but you should always go out in pairs!!

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    This happened to Lisa. Luckly, her VX was still under warrenty underwise it would have cost her thousands to fix.

Peace.
    Tom

As the others have said, it's a bit of a crap shoot whether you have problems or not. The main issue is that the alternator is mounted low on the engine so it doesn't take much depth to put it under water/mud. The electrical system is as sealed as much as any other normal vehicle. Most of the water related issues reported had to do with the alternator and that is what died on Lisa and had to be replaced.

As long as the air intake stays above the water your pretty good, ya maybe lose an alternator or a sensor, but who cares? Nothing $200 and an hour won't fix, have fun!

Sometimes when fording something deep I get a sensor wet and it seems to stay in 3rd gear, all I have to do is turn it off then back on and it works just fine again.

Just keep up with maintenance: fluids in differentials, tranny, and wheel bearing grease and you should be fine, you don't need to change the fluids everytime or anything just keep up with a higher maintenance, and if you think the water got in something then change out the fluid ASAP.

Check my gallery for "swimming" and I wouldn't advise to go that deep but that is about how deep you can go. 10" is a little puddle, c'mon you own a Vehicross, I would say 20-24" would be a good safe depth. Remember to go slow when crossing water or you will build wake in front of you and that 24" can turn into 36" real quick.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaVX View Post
    As long as the air intake stays above the water your pretty good, ya maybe lose an alternator or a sensor, but who cares? Nothing $200 and an hour won't fix, have fun!

Sometimes when fording something deep I get a sensor wet and it seems to stay in 3rd gear, all I have to do is turn it off then back on and it works just fine again.

Just keep up with maintenance: fluids in differentials, tranny, and wheel bearing grease and you should be fine, you don't need to change the fluids everytime or anything just keep up with a higher maintenance, and if you think the water got in something then change out the fluid ASAP.

Check my gallery for "swimming" and I wouldn't advise to go that deep but that is about how deep you can go. 10" is a little puddle, c'mon you own a Vehicross, I would say 20-24" would be a good safe depth. Remember to go slow when crossing water or you will build wake in front of you and that 24" can turn into 36" real quick.
    oh ya!
    your pictures are some of my favorites...it makes your VX look really badarse...

i have had my VX above the headlights in water, but i dont suggest it...mine was definately done by accident...

the water was usually about top the tire depth but for some reason it went up about a foot, at least
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden