Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Northwest Meet This Spring June 14, 2009

Okay, so it isn't that Marble Mountain, but which one is it? I did a map quest and it showed 3 different places in Washington. And when do you you think you might pregun it
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Sorry; ROWHARD, the only way we're going into Vietnam is by Apache Attack Helicopter Gunship!!!

I'm having visions of the movie "Apocolypse Now" starring Martin Sheen, with Robert Duvall saying: "This is 1st of the 9th Air Cav son, Air Mobile/Air Move; we'll put down that boat anywhere you want it!!!" "I want a body count, damn it!!!"

Keith--- Thanx for the offer of "recon". Perhaps you and I can coordinate one to go on together as a team. However, I like to go slow and methodical; so no "stump jumping"!!!
    Just give me some warning and I'd love to go.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    TWORAVENS, take a look at this; http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ight=moab+2009. Your 'little all-stock baby' will surprise you. Many were bone stock.
    Very cool photos! My comment was meant pretty much tongue-in-cheek. Actually I think the only stumbling block would be me being too chicken-s*** to try anything crazy.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I said; but what you fail to realize is that what you heard is not what I meant.

MARBLE MOUNTAIN "PRE-RECON" DATE/TIME IS SET:

This is the "pre-recon" trip of the actual MARBLE MOUNTAIN Off-Road site to be later formally conducted in Late August/Early September as an official Off-Road VX-MEET for members in Oregon & Washington State. The purpose of the "pre-recon" trip is to evaluate the actual Off-Road site of MARBLE MOUNTAIN in advance to determine its worthiness and specifically annotate any road hazards/obstacles beforehand and to verify the route. VX'ers interested in attending the "pre-recon" off-road trip to MARBLE MOUNTAIN will meet at the following location:

DATE/TIME:

Sunday, 19 July 2009 at 1:00 PM

Rosie's Restaurant
    1245 Lewis River Road (WA-503)
    Woodland, WA 98674
    TEL: (360) 225-9800
    I-5, Exit #21, head East 1-mile on WA-503.

We will meet at Rosie's Restaurant for lunch, so come hungry. After lunch, we will travel 29 miles East on WA/SPUR-503 to Cougar, WA for a quick potty-break. Then travel East 8 more miles on WA/SPUR-503 to off-road exit of Road-7900, and travel off-road in a NorthEast direction to Marble Mountain Summit for about 5--11 miles (depending on private land access; hence, this pre-recon requirement).

Marble Mountain Summit is located directly North of "Swift Reservoir" with panoramic views of Mt. St. Helens to the North and picturisque surrounding scenary at a summit elevation of 4,116' ABSL. The main highway of WA/SPUR-503 is at 1,200' ABSL, so we will be traveling an increase in elevation of 2,916'.

I am in.

Can't make it to the recon but count me in for the meet in the Fall!

let us know how it looks and feels.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Well; Gang, there were three(3) of us VX'ers (Riff Raff; Travelin2; KeithVXlvr) who performed the pre-recon of MARBLE MOUNTAIN on Sunday, 19 July 2009. I would personally like to extend my sincere appreciation to both "Travelin2" and "KeithVXlvr" for their profound assistance in making this pre-recon trip a success. Their input was invaluable and they provided a security safety blanket by their sheer attendance. In addition; no one got hurt and no VX's were damaged, which was an underlying goal.

We tried an infinate number of off-road trails (marked on a map and unmarked); both on privately owned land (yes, we were prepared to return gunfire if encountered); and on U.S.F.S. land, in an attempt to reach the summit of MARBLE MOUNTAIN. Unfortunately, 100% of all trails leading up to the summit were blocked with huge bolders and/or intentionally fallen trees (the privately owned land) or they had nicely painted steel impassable gates with U.S. Govt high-security padlocks (U.S.F.S.) with appropriate warning placcards.

Some of the rarely traveled off-road trails were quite challenging and required "low-range" in order to navigate the terrain. Just when we thought we had found an available path, we encounterd a huge rock quarry of gigantic boulders perfectly dumped by a dump truck across the entire width of the trail on a blind slope.

What we did discover was how amazing the VX can slowly crawl up very steep rocky terrain in "low range" with huge ruts and deep ravenes without skipping a beat. Further, we discovered was how tight the VX can turn-a-round on a very narrow one-way trail bordered by a thick forest of trees using the Fred Flintstone jockeying method (ground guides recommended). Our official conclusion is the VX is simply amazing in its multiple capabilities!!!

Of special mention; fellow member "KeithVXlvr", has the bullet-proof Kilby Enterprises "belly-pan" skid plates installed on his VX and they absolutely saved his VX (again) from imminent doom. At one point on a very trecherous angled slope with huge jagged rocks, "KeithVXlvr" performed an extremely tight U-turn engaging direct combat between the large sharp jagged rocks and his armored Kilby "belly-pan" skid plates. The rocks hopelessly lost the battle against the impervious Kilby skid plates, which merely shrugged-off the encounter and asked for more. After seeing first hand the bullet-proof Kilby Enterprises "belly-pan" skid plates in action, I can attest they are worth every penny and a set will soon find a home on my VX as well.

Once we determined we were outwitted by a series of roadblocks, we decided to take the designated paved U.S.F.S. road as far as we could in hopes of reaching the summit using legitimate designated roads. NOT!!! Again; once the paved surface turned to a dirt trail, we immediately encountered an impassable U.S.F.S. road barrier.

Bottom Line-- The MARBLE MOUNTAIN off-road trip is officially terminated due to lack of any road access (public or private) to the summit. We were; however, able to see some very up-close majestic sights of Mt. St. Helens and see portions of the vast devastation caused by the mountain's eruption on May 18, 1980.

Stay tuned, we will continue to search for other off-road sites in the Pacific Northwest that may be worthy of forming an official off-road VX function. Still, this pre-recon trip to MARBLE MOUNTAIN was a true "success" in that we evaluated its "GO"/"NO-GO" status as a possible VX off-road venture which was our primary mission. Riff Raff

Good job guys....wow wish I was with you .......still good job... thx

Just thought I'd this thread again for the rest of the gang.

And the best part is nobody was told they were going to get a ticket if they did not move their VX.

It was a great day in the Pacific Northwest ( AKA: God's Country ). If it wasn't for the F'n Forestry Service blocking every darn road up that mountain. Holy cow what up their Noah's Ark !?!?!?

The skid plate works well. Nice easy slid down the rock until the tires could touch again.

I think we are going to have to plan this so that it occurs at a well established off-road location. Make it a stop off and let those who would like, go nuts - others can simply dip their tires in the dirt/mud.

Excellent report captain Riff Raff! well done, the search is on.............
    Back To The Primitive!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Falco View Post
    Excellent report captain Riff Raff! well done, the search is on.............
    That should get him going. Think Jesus was a PFC last time Riff Raff was a captain

LOL; yes, fortunately I was able to make two(2) grades higher than Captain. No harm, no foul-- kinda' like Captain Fantastic was AK Falco's true intent. So in that limelight, thanx for the compliment.

It was a fun trip. Just disappointed with all of the trail roadblocks. "Travelin2" discovered a way to skirt the steel gate barrier on the primary U.S.F.S. trail to Marble Mountain with some added chainsaw effort and ingenuity, but that is probably a Federal crime on Federal land and I for one don't like a Federal Court Room. My highest personal experience in court was City Traffic Court, and I didn't like that either.

We will continue to search for an alternate off-road location; however, a bit further North.

Riff Raff, I,ve been trying for 2 hrs to Email the photos to you and Keith and all I accomplished was screwing up the files so when I finally tried putting them in my gallery they are grainy. Now I don't know how to put them on this thread so I'm giving up...............#%&@#*&% computers!!!